News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Anyone here heard of Ergo Proxy? I didn't until a few days ago, and I must say it is an extremely well done anime. Fantastic animation and voice acting. The main protagonist is a strong, non-sexualized female which I find to be a nice change of pace for an anime.

It's about a detective in a dystopian society in the future where the world has been pretty much completely destroyed and she's trying to find answers behind a mysterious "monster" that is attacking citizens while a computer virus runs rampant turning the city's androids into religious zealots.

Definitely different from any anime I've seen before. I highly recommend it to Orwell and sci-fi fans.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jompa

Quote from: Roz~ on January 03, 2014, 11:21:33 PMSo I heard about Hataraku Maou-Sama! and I decided to watch it since it was fairly short and I needed something to pass the time while I was breeding pokemon
It was pretty good! The characters are so nonchalant you can't help but wonder if they actually care about what happened to them.
If you like comedy then it's definitely worth a shot.
I wathced the first episode back when it aired, and I just put in on hold. I guess I should take it up again.
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 03, 2014, 11:48:13 PMAnyone here heard of Ergo Proxy? I didn't until a few days ago, and I must say it is an extremely well done anime. Fantastic animation and voice acting. The main protagonist is a strong, non-sexualized female which I find to be a nice change of pace for an anime.

It's about a detective in a dystopian society in the future where the world has been pretty much completely destroyed and she's trying to find answers behind a mysterious "monster" that is attacking citizens while a computer virus runs rampant turning the city's androids into religious zealots.

Definitely different from any anime I've seen before. I highly recommend it to Orwell and sci-fi fans.
I will check out!
Birdo for Smash

GaryOak

I think Ergo Proxy was pretty good in the beginning but in the end little bit too mindfuckish. But it looks great and the protagonist is hawt so who cares.

I finally watched Clannad After Story. Usually I try to avoid big eyes and high pitched voice acting but this is something I would watch again.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

Pit0010

:DDDD
 Has anyone read Orange Marmalade?? Ish a webtoon!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

Jompa

I tried reading it, but Manhwa really isn't my thing:P There are always a bunch of cultural differences that are just too hard to get into...
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

I'm trying out anime (haruhi was fantastic), so I'm starting out with Jompa's suggestion of Little Busters.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jompa

If you've only watched one anime before, Little Busters can be hard to get into (it's a bit heavy).
Also, only half of the first season is dubbed so far, if you were thinking about watching it dubbed.
But it is one of the best I've seen, definitely. So much tears! And the music is so good that it alone makes the show worth watching.
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

Shiki - a review kinda:
It's been a long time since I last found an anime that I've loved enough to let be classified as one of my favorites - the last one I recall was Penguindrum, which I watched last spring, so it's been a while.
But yesterday I decided to watch "Shiki", a show I've been putting on hold for way too long after getting a recommendation from a friend of mine.

Shiki is amazing!! It is a horror-mystery-thingy, much like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (in many ways). It isn't as good and thrilling as Higurashi, but Shiki is good nonetheless, and it's just totally amazing on especially one factor: It is the absolutely most addictive thing I've seen. It is impossible to stop watching before you're actually physically removed from it - every single episode leaves you with an over-whelming urge to watch more. It is crazy.

Of course, the show is very good! As mentioned, it's a horror with lots of elements of psychological and mystery.
If I am to compare it to Higurashi (mostly earlier parts of higurashi), they are very alike. It can't be wrong of me to say that Shiki is strongly influenced by Higurashi. The main difference is that the whole psychological thing isn't affecting us as much in Shiki, while in Higurash almost the whole story plays on our emotions and thoughts more or less - I'm not saying Shiki's lame because of this, but expecting the Higurashi-approach to the mystery will just cause disappointment - like it did for me, who had a slight hope for a Higurashi-look-alike. I am still searching for an anime that's like Higurashi in this sense, but to no luck (except for Umineko, but go figure...)
And Shiki is not as gory either, if anyone's concerned about that.
It is very tragic throughout the show.

Another anime I can compare it with is "Another". Personally I'd say it is more alike Another than Higurashi, because the way the story progresses is very much alike, as well as the main conflicts being by very much the same principles.

The voice acting is some of the most professional I've experienced. Music is strong and emotional, and it's pretty much what makes the show a gem in my opinion.

I recommend it! I recommend it so hard! To everyone! Such a great exciting show!
Everyone should just forget about their school reports and tests, like me, and watch Shiki!!
And, everyone who's watched Higurashi misses the cicadas, right? ;D
Birdo for Smash

Waddle Bro

Spending the night watching Shiki.

Spoiler
It's good, but all the cool people keep dying. :c
[close]

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Waddle Bro

At episode 5 now.

Spoiler
GOSH, THE GIRL.

update: After episode 7, I felt like totally hooked.
[close]

SuperFireKirby

Anyone see the Space Dandy premier?

Twas fuckin beautiful

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jompa

I saw it, both subbed and dubbed.
I'd say it's quite good, if you like that kinda ridiculous humor. I liked it.
Birdo for Smash

JDMEK5

Tried watching Digimon the other day just to see what it was exactly. I noticed its existence as a kid and I was like, "ZOMG total rip-off of pokemon!!!"

I never imagined it could've been worse than I had believed it to be, but what do you know? They pulled it off somehow.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Jompa

Woooow, I just finished Shiki and damn, I won't forget that anime for a long time! It is now one of my favorites. Such an experience.

Hey Waddle, just so you don't mess this up:
There are special episodes, meant to be watched in between some of those episodes. I didn't find out before I finished the show, so I saw them afterwards, but they are actually meant to be watched according to their episode number. So just remember that for whenever the time comes:
Episode 20.5 and episode 21.5
Birdo for Smash