News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Piano HELP!!!

Started by KINGOFTH3CASTLE, March 05, 2008, 08:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KINGOFTH3CASTLE

my piano teacher tells me that I need to stop memorizing the music.
I look at the keyboard and not the sheet music.
am I the only one or do other people have this problem.
does anyone know how to do big jumps on the keyboard without looking.

all hail the king of the castle

Dekudude

Haha, I memorize too. :P Just practice! If you MUST look down, sneak a peek every once in a while for the jumps... and just practice!

PianoMan

Yes, do memorize. My piano teacher is the best ever, and she loves me memorizing. Here's what I do:
1. Look at piano and music while you stumble through the first two times
2. (This is easier for me because I have a photographic memory for pages) Look at piano as much as you can without forgetting the notes.
3. Once you have it all memorized, play, play, play as much as possible without looking at music.
But, no matter what, memorizing is good. Have you ever seen Martin Leung with the sheets for his songs?

Akiro

Quote from: KINGOFTH3CASTLE on March 05, 2008, 08:13:05 PMmy piano teacher tells me that I need to stop memorizing the music.
I look at the keyboard and not the sheet music.
am I the only one or do other people have this problem.
does anyone know how to do big jumps on the keyboard without looking.

I memorize things when I don't intend it.
As for the big jumps, I use the sense of "feel" to do jumps and hit the right note without looking.

I do this often with Lost Woods.

Some people do better at memorizing things and some people don't.
If you think that what you are doing is right, just speak to your teacher.

The-Real-Link

I understand what you mean. My teacher often tells me to look at the music, because I'll be fumbling around trying to remember what I just got done reading. I'm getting better at playing without looking, and at the same time improving my sightreading skills. As for large jumps...I think you kind of have to look.

Gaab4Ever

you need to play that song over and over, just memorize but you also need to 'feel' the notes that you're playing. if u practise a lot then u can play it without looking :P

evilsqueaky

Haha. After three days I throw out the music because I have it memorized.

blah54

i think when your teacher tells you to stop memorizing, she really means for you to not take the piece so literally... that there are different ways to interpret music...

or maybe... it's impossible to do big jumps on the piano without looking, so just practice with the music but be sure to look down and realize what you're doing so that when you no longer read off the music, you don't get lost if you mess up.
It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

PianoMan

What we're trying to say is that memorizing is good, and you shouldn't stop (at least, good as long as you know the piece)

HugoMeister

I got over that gradually. After playing for a while, you just learn where the keys lay, so you can concentrate on the music instead of your hands.

Just try playing a few measures at a time slowly, and get a feel of where the keys are while looking at the sheet music. Then gradually speed up until you can play it without looking at your hands.

Thats how I practiced, hope it helps.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Beethoven II

Memorizing is good...if you do it right.  You should get all the feel and emotion ("spice") into a song before you memorize, otherwise, it sounds bad..hmm.hmm. AKIRO!!!  That's probably what she means.

kirby_superstar

nope, i tink she means memorizing how you play the first time,etc.
if you are making any mistakes after having sightread it once, you're playing too fast!
your muscles will remember all the mistakes that youve made
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

evilsqueaky

Quote from: Beethoven II on March 06, 2008, 04:14:32 PMMemorizing is good...if you do it right.  You should get all the feel and emotion ("spice") into a song before you memorize, otherwise, it sounds bad..hmm.hmm. AKIRO!!!  That's probably what she means.

I disagree.

"If you have a piece memorized, you aren't staring at a white sheet with random black dots. Instead, you get to pay attention to how the music flows." ~Evilsqueaky's Musical Philosophy Number 1

KefkaticFanatic

Memorize the music, but still use the sheets until you perform.  It's always best to have both so you can work on the whole feeling of the song, and the smooth flowing without stops if it's memorized.

me irl
[close]

Beethoven II

gamer4251 has had the best explination so far,that way, you can get more into the song.