News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roz~

Yeah, Nintendo tends to do that with their games now... they give you a ridiculous amount of lives to make sure you never get the dreaded Game Over message I guess. But man, 150 lives is just pretty dumb =P Gimme like... 10 max or something
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

blueflower999

Game Overs themselves are kind of dumb on home consoles. It's just something unnecessary that carried over from the arcade.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Roz~ on March 19, 2014, 07:08:34 PMYeah, Nintendo tends to do that with their games now... they give you a ridiculous amount of lives to make sure you never get the dreaded Game Over message I guess. But man, 150 lives is just pretty dumb =P Gimme like... 10 max or something
It was relatively easy to get lives in the original Yoshi's Island too... I still remember that button input (for the GBA version) to access all the minigames!

...not to mention this...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Jamaha

Quote from: blueflower999 on March 19, 2014, 07:19:36 PMGame Overs themselves are kind of dumb on home consoles. It's just something unnecessary that carried over from the arcade.

Agreed. Which is why

Quote from: Roz~ on March 19, 2014, 07:08:34 PMYeah, Nintendo tends to do that with their games now... they give you a ridiculous amount of lives to make sure you never get the dreaded Game Over message I guess. But man, 150 lives is just pretty dumb =P Gimme like... 10 max or something

defining a game's difficulty by the amount of lives doesn't really make sense. When you get a game over you just are given 5 extra lives and restart the level. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze definitely has some difficult levels, yet I have the amount of lives maxed. Rayman Legends doesn't count lives, yet it is challenging, as the challenge isn't based on the number of lives you collect.

However, when thinking about, say, Mario. The coins and 1ups are such iconic collectibles, that I don't really know what they could replace them with to still have something collectable in the levels.

mikey

As many of you may know, my brother deleted my nearly 100% second playthrough wind waker file.  So I'm rushing through the first playthrough as fast as I can to get to the second one.
However, in order to make it a challenge, I'm not collecting ANY heart containers or heart pieces, and not using Fairies or potions!
So far I haven't died so I think I'll make it :)
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

Finally beat Persona 4. Didn't get the True Ending, but I need to give it back to the dude who lended it to me, unfortunately.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

I have Persona 4 Golden but I won't be starting it until I finish Danganronpa. I hope it's a good game!
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

It's basically an extended version of the original(I think) and has cut scenes from the anime. But it doesn't have all the same voice actors as the original game and neither does the anime or P4: Arena, which I'm constantly annoyed by since the the originals were miles better imo.

But P4 is probably the 2nd best rpg I've ever played and one of the few games to even get close to Dark Cloud 2 in terms of how much I enjoyed it.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Never played the original or any Persona game so I think I'll like it.

Roz~

Quote from: Jamaha on March 20, 2014, 11:23:31 AMAgreed. Which is why

defining a game's difficulty by the amount of lives doesn't really make sense. When you get a game over you just are given 5 extra lives and restart the level. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze definitely has some difficult levels, yet I have the amount of lives maxed. Rayman Legends doesn't count lives, yet it is challenging, as the challenge isn't based on the number of lives you collect.

However, when thinking about, say, Mario. The coins and 1ups are such iconic collectibles, that I don't really know what they could replace them with to still have something collectable in the levels.

I don't think you understood the point I was trying to make (even though I wasn't really trying to make a point to begin with)
I'm not saying the game is easy 'cause I have a buttload of lives. My point was that having ~85 lives when you only played through 1 world, so 8 levels of a game is pretty ridiculous, especially when the game is fairly easy and you're never dying anyway. Yoshi's New Island isn't easy because you get a buttload of lives early on, it's easy, period.  Oh, and you're not just getting lives by collecting coins in the game, so there's that too.

Also I don't really mind the Game Over screen, even though I agree they are somewhat useless nowadays. I've been playing JRPGs since I was a kid so I guess I just got used to the "Your party was wiped out" message. =P
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Jamaha

Oh, very true. Sorry I misread you there.

Yes, if you get like a hundred lives after one world, you might as well not have lives in the game at all.

Kman96

All comments aside, Yoshi's New Island is a worth purchase, is it not?

Really, I'm gonna buy it no matter the answer, but as long as people enjoy it, it's more worth it.
Party Hard!
[close]

Nebbles

Yoshi's New Island is really fun. I'm enjoying it a lot, and the music is wonderful. I think it's worth buying it.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Yugi

Quote from: Kman96 on March 20, 2014, 11:49:53 PMAll comments aside, Yoshi's New Island is a worth purchase, is it not?
Unless you like your games being easy to the point of it being impossible to lose, no.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Yugi on March 21, 2014, 02:29:05 AMUnless you like your games being easy to the point of it being impossible to lose, no.

What's bad about this, out of curiosity? :P