News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time Link

And it's just solving the puzzles, with no other game play involved?

WaluigiTime64

Yeah... because it's uh... a puzzle game.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Time Link

Thanks for all the info, guys! You really explained that well for me.

SlowPokemon

It's all logic based, so actually the solving process is similar to a sudoku puzzle in that way. But the structure is different.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Time Link

Hey, my friend and I found this really cool website online that has a bunch of old games, including many Zelda classics. This is ithe name: playretrogames.com. I hope you all enjoy!

mikey

Currently playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.  I think it's safe to say this is my umpteenth playthrough.
Weird how we all have that game(s) that clicks with us, isn't it
unmotivated

Burtenshaw

Quote from: Time Link on July 24, 2018, 03:28:13 PMHey, my friend and I found this really cool sturdy standing desk chairs list online that has a bunch of old games, including many Zelda classics. This is ithe name: playretrogames.com. I hope you all enjoy!

I'm currently playing Minecraft (always playing Minecraft haha) and I just started playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Loving it so far. Died more times than I care to admit, but the game is a lot of fun.

BlackDragonSlayer

I'm playing the Borderlands 1 remaster, and man, the level scaling early game is so off. I'm level 10 and getting level 3 weapons from a level 12 enemy. There aren't nearly enough missions to help you level up. If I remember correctly though, after Sledge the level scaling gets a lot better (and Sledge's Shotgun is such a good weapon you can even use it to endgame).

Also, sniping seems a lot more difficult in this game. I'm playing Mordecai, and I had to invest in his skills that increase accuracy and reduce sniper rifle sway just to get a chance at a good shot.

Driving is definitely much worse than in BL2. In BL2, if you graze an obstacle, you'll bounce off a bit but mostly keep going, but in BL1, you'll just full on stop, and it's annoying.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SlowPokemon

Even this topic is dead huh?

I replayed Skyward Sword and this time I got all the heart pieces and side quest stuff—the only thing I haven't done is get the Hylian Shield, or completely finish the Lanayru dragon gauntlet for max rupees, but eh. After that I played Minish Cap for the first time and absolutely loved it—correct me if I'm wrong, but this feels like the last classical Zelda game they made. It was such a fun game to get through, and it took me 20 hours even without finishing up all the Kinstones. On a replay I'll definitely do that. It was also just fun to play a new Game Boy Advance game after all these years; that was my first system and it's the most nostalgic style for me as a result. As a last thought, I have to say that Minish Cap is almost a perfect companion piece to Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, right?

I also wasted some money on a few amiibo cards so that I could get some fresh villagers in my Animal Crossing town. Namely, I decided to get one of each personality type, plus a couple extra that I wanted (these ended up being the two octopus villagers I didn't already have, Marina and Zucker).

Mario Maker 2, on the other hand, is something I already regret buying, but maybe I'll spend more time with it.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Minish cap is one of my favorites but I'm sure you already know that.  Interestingly a majority of my arrangements are minish cap

I love the animal crossing trading cards I have static
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

I've been playing Disc Creatures on Steam, a game which looks almost exactly like the original Pokemon games, although it has a few differences of its own. While I like the game, there are a few ways I see it could be improved. There are two major areas of improvement:
- The Catching System
- Leveling New Creatures

So, the catching system. In Pokemon, you battle a Pokemon, usually whittle it down to low health, then chuck Pokeballs at it until you catch it. In Disc Creatures, whenever you defeat a creature, you get a chance to burn its data onto a disc. While there is an item you can use (up to five times per creature) in order to increase this chance, there's still an issue with this. An NPC says that, when used five times, the item increases the chance by 10x. This means, that if a creature naturally has a, say, 1% chance of getting its disc, using the item five times gives you a 10% chance to get it. While I'm sure most of the percentages in the game are higher, this still proves to be an issue: in most areas, you need to use the item at least twice to get any noticeable effects, and even then, you don't know if you'll get the disc until after the battle is over. There is a solution to this, however. Instead of multiplying the percent chance, it adds a percentage based on the rarity of the creature. So, for a common creature, using the item five times would provide a +100% chance—in other words, a guaranteed chance. But for a rarer creature, using the item five times might only provide a +60% chance. This preserves the element of chance for rarer creatures while still rewarding you fairly for using the item enough times.

Leveling new creatures. Once you've managed to get your hands on some creatures, you'll want to try them out on your team, right? In Pokemon, wild Pokemon you catch are usually around your level if you catch them in current areas. Thus, leveling them up to the rest of your party usually isn't too difficult. But in Disc Creatures, nearly all, if not all (I think the starter discs are the only exception) of the creatures you obtain start out at Level 1. That means, if you want to use a creature in your party, you either have to go back to the beginning area of the game and grind, or risk having your creature get knocked out over and over again while leveling in your current area (Disc Creatures uses a three-party system like many other non-Pokemon RPGs). This is an issue... but again, it has a pretty simple fix. Introduce an item much like the Rare Candy in Pokemon, except with a twist... the lower level your creature, the greater effect it has. So, for a Level 1 Creature, it would increase its level by, say, 5 levels, while for a Level 99 creature (I don't actually know the level cap), it would increase its level by, say, a quarter of a level. This item should be purchasable.

I'm only about 3-4 hours into the game, so these issues may be resolved later on, but right now, these are the two biggest problems the game has.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Maelstrom

Let's attempt to restart this a bit, shall we?

Recently, I've been playing 2 games on and off.
Risk of Rain 2 - This thing is probably one of my favorite roguelikes I've played. The beginning of each run tends to be very skill focused as you pick up items and slowly become stronger. There's a ton of them, but the fun starts when you begin stacking ones you already have. Say one item gives a 10% chance to bleed on every attack. Get 8 of them, and you can stack 80 bleed debuffs on a boss, if it lives long enough to let you do that. So yeah, as every run progresses, it slowly goes from pure skill to pure chaos with game-lagging numbers of enemies and you with items that can set off massive chain reactions by killing a single enemy. It's very fun and rather challenging too. When I die, I don't really feel like it's the game's fault for giving me bad items; it was my fault for getting hit.

Xenogears - Going into this one blind and it's pretty fun so far. My biggest complains are the camera, the slow loading screens (opening and closing the menu can take a few seconds if you don't speed up the emulation speed), and the translation. It's not bad, but it feels stiff and lacking character or personality. I'm hoping that doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment too much.

Libera

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 15, 2020, 11:28:08 AMRisk of Rain 2 - This thing is probably one of my favorite roguelikes I've played. The beginning of each run tends to be very skill focused as you pick up items and slowly become stronger. There's a ton of them, but the fun starts when you begin stacking ones you already have. Say one item gives a 10% chance to bleed on every attack. Get 8 of them, and you can stack 80 bleed debuffs on a boss, if it lives long enough to let you do that. So yeah, as every run progresses, it slowly goes from pure skill to pure chaos with game-lagging numbers of enemies and you with items that can set off massive chain reactions by killing a single enemy. It's very fun and rather challenging too. When I die, I don't really feel like it's the game's fault for giving me bad items; it was my fault for getting hit.

I played a fair amount of the first game but just couldn't get into #2.  Something about the change to 3-d really didn't work for me and I found it much more annoying to work out what was going on in my surroundings than I did in the first one.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 15, 2020, 11:28:08 AMXenogears - Going into this one blind and it's pretty fun so far. My biggest complains are the camera, the slow loading screens (opening and closing the menu can take a few seconds if you don't speed up the emulation speed), and the translation. It's not bad, but it feels stiff and lacking character or personality. I'm hoping that doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment too much.

I actually liked the camera, especially the hide and seek game where you have to mess around with a lot, but I can see why you would find it annoying.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Libera on September 15, 2020, 12:53:45 PMI played a fair amount of the first game but just couldn't get into #2.  Something about the change to 3-d really didn't work for me and I found it much more annoying to work out what was going on in my surroundings than I did in the first one.
I haven't actually played the first one. The second one can be a bit confusing at times, but the sound design is excellent and with some decent headphones, it's really easy to tell where enemies are when not on screen. It did take a while for me to get into 2. It took a few hours of beating my head against a wall til I started moving places. Once I did, it became a lot more fun.

Quote from: Libera on September 15, 2020, 12:53:45 PMI actually liked the camera, especially the hide and seek game where you have to mess around with a lot, but I can see why you would find it annoying.
For me, it's from a fundamental game design perspective. It felt that the developers said "Hey, since there's camera rotation, we can just design rooms without regards to camera placement." The final product, however, has rooms that look bad from every angle, and trigger buttons to move the camera is not fun at all, esp when it's not a true free rotation. Some automatic adjustments at times when you go around corners would be nice, but the game just tells you to do it yourself instead. I'm rather glad we've moved beyond this in game design. 

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 15, 2020, 11:28:08 AMXenogears - Going into this one blind and it's pretty fun so far. My biggest complains are the camera, the slow loading screens (opening and closing the menu can take a few seconds if you don't speed up the emulation speed), and the translation. It's not bad, but it feels stiff and lacking character or personality. I'm hoping that doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment too much.
Quote from: Libera on September 15, 2020, 12:53:45 PMI actually liked the camera, especially the hide and seek game where you have to mess around with a lot, but I can see why you would find it annoying.
I actually didn't mind the camera that much, but I don't think it added that much to the game. I just like being able to see everything from multiple angles. Since the camera is on the triggers, it means you can move, do actions, and move the camera all at once; I thought that was pretty neat even if it's weird. I don't even think it's that weird though, it's from a time where there wasn't really a "default" use for the right analog stick, and the original PS1 release didn't support analog sticks anyway. I agree that sometimes the level design doesn't work well with it though, particularly when you have to use the jump button...

The loading is kind of an issue though, I played it on PS1 and it was a pain sometimes... The translation is hit or miss, but as far as I know there isn't any retranslation patch or anything around, at least not that I could find. I also thought the text speed was a little too slow, maybe that's just me.