News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaluigiTime64

Fairly certain the issue with the previous NSM Superlatives was a somewhat insensitive comment, so provided that doesn't happen again it should be fine. Learning from mistakes is important.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 16, 2016, 07:59:20 PMI thought it was a great way to get closer as a community.
This is exactly what I thought when I first looked at the topic.

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 16, 2016, 08:03:35 PMSo this is a thing, apparently:
https://www.facebook.com/FBI-503101489890797/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
Clicking that link is punishable by death.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

InsigTurtle

So here's a thing that I want people's advice on. I want to make a digital keyboard using an Arduino, that'd hook up to 3 RBG LEDs that light up different colours depending on which note is pressed, capable of supporting at least 3 note polyphony. Been thinking of using that harmonic colouring that smalin uses in his videos, and I'll just arbitrarily call C the tonic. Big problems I'm facing here are the keyboard itself and the amount of pins it'd require, and the wave synthesis on the Arduino. For the keyboard, it looks like using a bunch of 8-bit shift registers would work. I was considering making it analog so I'd only have 1 input pin, but then I wouldn't be able to play more than one note at the same time. So I'm just messing around with ideas right now, before I build a prototype.

What I'm asking here, is if y'all have any ideas on how to make work while reducing the complexity. After all, two heads are better than one. I've already asked some people on advice, and I've incorporated it in what I've typed out just now.

mikey

I've heard of arduino, but that's about the extent of my knowledge

I'll ask a friend of mine who uses this stuff
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

The actual problem with the superlatives was the one year where some people spammed the nominations with a single person in every category and it was really dumb and made everything not fun
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

Rereading that topic, I don't think that was the real issue.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Zunawe

@Insig
The big problem I'm seeing is that you're basically connecting a microcontroller to the output of a microcontroller, but the one in your keyboard is much more specific to being a keyboard. What you're doing is taking robust input, giving it to your keyboard, squishing that data into one output, and then trying to use that output as if it's the input you first gave it. Like you said, one input pin is pretty easy (and could still be pretty cool). But more than one input increases the complexity by magnitudes.

If you can get a MIDI output to fit, that would be your best bet. But that's the problem, isn't it?
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

Oh, I'm making my own keyboard, so I'm working pretty much from scratch. So pressing the key that presses one of the button will send a signal that tells the Arduino to send an analog output to a speaker.

Zunawe

Oh. I misunderstood what you were talking about. I thought you were hooking an existing keyboard up to an Arduino and couldn't figure out how to make the lights work. My solution, which you probably don't want to hear, is to use a Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone because they have so many more pins. That'll require a very basic understanding of Linux and some research though because they're more versatile and robust, and therefore more complex. An Arduino is really a computer for simple inputs and simple outputs. Sensors and LCD/LED displays. Even a small keyboard is a lot for it to handle.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Nitro Indigo

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

mikey

NOOOO
I STILL REMEMBER GETTING TWILIGHT PRINCESS FOR CHRISTMAS, SS IS TOO YOUNHGGG
unmotivated

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Zunawe on November 17, 2016, 08:32:25 PMOh. I misunderstood what you were talking about. I thought you were hooking an existing keyboard up to an Arduino and couldn't figure out how to make the lights work. My solution, which you probably don't want to hear, is to use a Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone because they have so many more pins. That'll require a very basic understanding of Linux and some research though because they're more versatile and robust, and therefore more complex. An Arduino is really a computer for simple inputs and simple outputs. Sensors and LCD/LED displays. Even a small keyboard is a lot for it to handle.

Yeah, I was worried about that. I was trying my darndest to use what I already had, but the pins, the memory, and the speed required make it look almost impossible. I looked up how to do wave synthesis on an Arduino, and I found some links saying that it wasn't able to do the processing fast enough for my purposes. Might delay the project a bit since I gotta save up $50 or so to buy that.

Tobbeh99

My life's been pretty rough this week, and also the previous :-\. I've been working full-time during these 2 weeks. And it's been both good and bad. It's nice to try out a different position and try out working full-time. But it's also been basically a lot of work, working from 11-20. previously I worked from 17-20 approximately, and it was 3 pretty hard-working hours where, at times, it was pretty stressfull and a lot of work that needed to be done quickly. My full-time work I've had now has been more the opposite, calm but spread out on a longer time span and also more focus on carefulness rather than speed. On top of this, we also has a course this weekend which I have to participate in ::). And I feel pretty tired, even physically which I usually don't feel. Probably after lifting and moving all the packages, some which weight up to 30 kg. So it's great that I have weekend now to chill down a bit and take it easy, and even though I have a course on both Saturday and Sunday, the courses will probably be very chill and more or less watching movies :D. So it feels like I'm at the very end of the tunnel. Next week I'll be working a mix of full-time and half-time, working Monday-Wednesday 50% like I started working, and full-time on Thursday-Friday which I did the last 2 weeks. And it's a schedule I enjoy, as I'll have more time to either spend on hobbies or just relaxing on half time days, but make more money with the days I work full-time. :D
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Nitro Indigo

The Wii turned 10 today.

I also want to make a video for Zelda Month, but I'm not sure what it should be about...
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.