News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

I've experimented with tone rows in the past, but have used them very sparingly in my own work. I can see their uses and appeal, but are largely something I don't mess with when writing. They're really interesting to listen to, though.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Altissimo

I get Schoenberg and I appreciate all he's done, and I find tone rows fascinating - when I had to compose a tone row and a piano piece consisting of solely tone rows for class I put some effort into making it interesting - but it's not my favorite style of music by any means. I prefer music of the Romantic and Baroque eras lol

MaestroUGC

Same, I think serial stuff makes for better musical effects than an end in and of itself.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

IMO tone rows are more intellectually stimulating than they are musically. There's good use for atonal music, especially in things like horror movies and whatnot, and it, like it's predecessor of Impressionism, definitely creates a mood. So perhaps I shouldn't say that as a blanket statement; but as concert works, I find little to no enjoyment in them.
what is shitpost

SlowPokemon

Um just because music is intellectually stimulating doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable

TBH the romantic period is my least favorite music era
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Of course not, they're two separate things. Some music (IE Bach) is intellectually stimulating and beautiful, and some music is intellectually stimulating but boring (Schoenberg). Some music is neither (a lot of Liszt, though he got a little more interesting later).
what is shitpost

Altissimo

gotta love lincolnshire posy, it's intellectually stimulating and musically Fuckin Bizarre

Oronoco

Quote from: Altissimo on April 07, 2016, 03:22:42 PMgotta love lincolnshire posy, it's intellectually stimulating and musically Fuckin Bizarre
YAS

I can really super genuinely enjoy modern experimental stuff, but ideally it's balanced with other styles of music. It works the other way, too. If I'm at a concert filled with all Romantic music, I'ma crave something atonal. They really compliment each other.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

mikey

If NSMers Were Magic Cards
Magic Mole
[close]
FireArrow
[close]
not Zorro lol
[close]
Olimar12345
[close]
Latios212
[close]
Zorro for reals
[close]
Dude
[close]
JesterMusician
[close]
Nebbles
[close]
[close]
unmotivated

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

That was actually great and I don't even play magic
what is shitpost

Nebbles

Dang it, I might have caught the bug that's going around at school...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

Quote from: Nebbles on April 07, 2016, 08:14:26 PMDang it, I might have caught the bug that's going around at school...
I edited my post accordingly :)
unmotivated