News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

The Introduction Thread

Started by Concerto No.20 in D minor, March 18, 2008, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

Is it possible to take some steps to prevent the spambots from posting?

I.e. change some of our forum code slightly, to confuse them?
Yet better, a method used by another forum I visit: You can't post links, images or comments on the main site until you have at least 10 posts.
Or require members to be "approved" by another member before they can post links.

By the way, most of our spambots are probably there just to boost search engine ratings. They post once, and the links in their signatures are picked up by a search engine spider. I know it's a drastic step, but is there a way to replace the [url] tag?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Jamaha

I've tried different anti-spam mods, no luck so far.

Ruto

I say we just give someone an axe...

Then delete their posts and accounts >__>

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

DrP

Ragster2448

Now hang on, am I the spambot here? If I did something wrong, just tell me and I'll fix it. I really have no idea what a spambot is, actually.

Saria

Quote from: Ragster2448 on June 11, 2011, 11:26:03 AMNow hang on, am I the spambot here? If I did something wrong, just tell me and I'll fix it. I really have no idea what a spambot is, actually.

Spambots are people who sign in once and create advertisement posts. You aren't a spambot. ;)
Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday

Ruto

Best solution:

@Ragster
Do a search for a stupid user name like "LadyPrecious" and read "her" only post here. That's a spambot.

Edit: Fixed gif url

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Ragster2448

I really need to get to know all of this computer lingo.  :-\

Roz~

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Cobraroll

Quote from: Saria on June 11, 2011, 11:30:31 AMSpambots are people who sign in once and create advertisement posts. You aren't a spambot. ;)

To elaborate, Spambots are usually automatic programs that set up an account in as many forums as possible, usually for advertising purposes.

Many spambots just posts a ton of links in as many topics as possible, usually starting their own topics just to spam. We had one on NSM last year, which flooded the Creativity Corner.

Other spambots are more modest, simply making a topic where they advertise some random crap. This is the most common kind of spambot on NSM.

The even more modest type of spambot, as can be seen in our Harry Potter topic over in Movies & TV, just makes a single vaguely on-topic post in an already existing thread.

Somewhere in the bot's signature or even profile page is a link to a site. The words in the link are often vague, such as "cheap used cars near LA" or "yoga therapy" or something. This is meant to be picked up by search engine scripts, so that if you search for "yoga therapy" on Google, the script will notice a lot of mentions of "yoga therapy" on several different sites, all leading to the same page. In short, the goal of the spambot is putting a link to its page on as many sites as possible, to generate higher rankings in a search engine search (i.e. getting the bot creator's yoga therapy site on the first page of a Google search).

Older bots aren't nearly as creative, but put ads of their site/product in comments sections on popular web sites, for example Cracked.com or large news sites, in order to get as many people as possible to read the advertisement. Those are the most obvious bots, and will often get deleted by mods quickly.

Hope my introduction to spambots was useful.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Saria

Stop being smarter than me. :(
Quote from: Slow
SARIABALL
Quote from: manio
I love taking wiener schnitzel in my mouth
Quote from: Kefka
cooperating anal
Quote from: ZeldaFanmy dream is to get a quote in someone's sig someday

Winter

Roz~

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

ETFROXX

Hi, I'm Jordan, and I'm a Starbucks addict.

Oh. Not that kind of introduction, okay.

SlowPokemon

"I'm Jordan..."

"HI JORDAN"

"...and I am too friendly."

...ok now I really need to give this joke a rest.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.