News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Steps to Simplicity - Chapter 2

Started by DrP, July 16, 2010, 04:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is this a good story?

Torkoal
0 (0%)
Tropius
0 (0%)
Lapras
4 (57.1%)
Heracross
2 (28.6%)
Spiritomb
1 (14.3%)
Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

DrP

Here's Chapter 2. There's a Cliff hanger at the end.

Chapter 2: You Mean What?

I was so excited to return home, though I love spending time in Hoenn. I wanted to see what this huge surprise my father was talking about. I clutched the Master Ball in my hand waiting to see what was going to happen. I burst out of the car the instant my mother pulled into the driveway. “I’ll be back soon!” I yelled running down the road to Professor Oak’s lab. By the time I reached the top step of the flight of stairs that led to the Professor’s lab, I was exhausted beyond belief, using my arms to pull me atop the landing at the top. After waiting a few minutes, I got enough strength to pull myself up and get to the door. I rang the bell and I heard a fast scurry on the inside. By now, the sun had set behind the hills to the east and the Volbeat and Illumise came out lighting the warm June night, making light patterns off in the distance.

A light next to the door turned on and the door flung open. Professor Oak stood at the door perplexed. “You’re not Chinese food…” the Professor said scratching his head. “I have something for you,” I stated. “Can I come in?” Before Professor Oak could say anything, I ran right inside toward his den. I came to a screeching halt when I saw what I saw. The man who was sitting next to me on the plane was sitting on Professor Oak’s couch. He looked somehow a little different than on the plane. “Professor, I have a present from my father,” I said. I handed him the Master Ball. “It has been many years since I have seen one of these,” the Professor answered as he gazed mysteriously at the Pokéball. “Professor, I don’t mean to alarm you,” I began. “But the man sitting in your den was this mysterious man that sat next to me on the plane and asked my lots of questions.” “Oh, I was going to wait until tomorrow, but what the heck,” the Professor said. “Come!” I followed the Professor into the den.

The man stood up. He was wearing a white lab coat, similar to that of Professor Oak’s, but with a gray S on the right sleeve. “Drew, this is Professor Rowan,” Professor Oak said. “He is a colleague of mine, the regional professor from the Sinnoh region.” “It is finally a pleasure to introduce myself, Drew,” Professor Rowan replied. “Professor Oak and I do have a surprise for you, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, since we aren’t finished with it yet.” “But I’ve been waiting all morning,” I complained. “Trust me, we can’t unveil our surprise until everyone is here,” Professor Oak responded.  “Now go on home, and get some rest. Come back at 8 AM tomorrow.” “Ok, then,” I answered. I bolted out of the lab and ran straight home. I quickly got into bed because of all energy I burnt when I ran back home. I didn’t even bother to take any article of clothing off, not even my shoes. 

I woke up just a few minutes before 5 AM. I shot out of bed and flipped on all the lights. Skitty came walking out from her little kitty house with that dazed look in her eyes, not knowing what happened. She let out a big cat yawn and walked toward me. “Today’s the big day Skitty,” I said. “I just can’t focus.” I sat down on the couch in our living room and sat there for almost half an hour just petting Skitty and wondering what this huge surprise was: A brand new Pokémon, a change to go to Sinnoh or even Merin, a PokéDex… so many possibilities. Then, to pass the time, I took out the book that my dad gave me and opened to Chapter Three: The Pokémon League.

In the Verdant Republic, there are six Official Pokémon Leagues, and an unofficial one. Each region has their respective league, including the Orange Islands with the seventh and unofficial league. To participate in the league championships of each individual league, one must visit and win in each of the Eight Gyms located throughout the region. After all eight “Gym Badges” are obtained; one may enter in the Pokémon League of their respective region. What makes this a fool proof system is that the badges are hand made by the Gym Leaders themselves, and are given a special serial number and embedded chip to prove their authenticity. They can only be stored in League approved cases, because when applying for the championships, they must sit in the case and run through a scanner to prove entrance into the League.

If a trainer attains eight Kanto Badges, they enter the Indigo League and face other trainers, if they arrive in the top four, they will be permitted to face the Four Heavenly Kings, or Elite Four for short. These four trainers are the strongest of their specific Pokémon types in the region. If one manages to beat all four, then the person has an opportunity to face the League Champion. Only skilled trainers make it this far. The guidelines apply to Johto’s Silver Conference, Hoenn’s Ever Grande Conference, Sinnoh’s Suzuran Conference, Merin’s Chrysanthemum Conference and Isshu’s White Conference. If one travels to the Orange Islands and collect all four badges, then they can face the Orange League Champion and be inducted into the Hall of Fame if they beat the Champion.

I closed the book after the end of the chapter. I mulled over the Elite Four and Champion many times. Professor Rowan said my father was the Sinnoh League Champion before he handed it to Cynthia. I shook my head in disbelief. My father was from Austin, Texas and he had no connection to Pokémon until we moved to our first house in Azalea Town. And by the time we moved to the Verdant Republic, Cynthia was the Sinnoh League Champion. After spending countless minutes trying to figure out the connection and how my father was the league champion. After collecting my thoughts and returning to reality, it was already 7:30 AM and before my mom could say good morning, I ran out towards Professor Oak’s, but forgetting to open the screen door. Let’s just say, there is a Drew-shaped hole in my mom’s screen door. I ran all the way to the lab, which was about a little less than a half a mile down the road.

The morning was crisp and cool, unlike the uncommon balmy summer weather that occurred last night. I looked above me to see flocks of Pidgey, Starly, and Tallow fly overhead. They were enjoying the morning as much as I was. There were only a few streets in Pallet Town that consisted of the major residents and the main small shops. I had to run down the street I lived on and make a right turn to go south toward Professor Oak’s Lab, which sit upon a hilltop on the outskirts of the town. If I ran further down the road, I would reach the bay that leads south towards Cinnabar Island. There was a long path laden with oak trees leading up to the stairs of the Oak Lab. The Pokémon Range, Professor Oak’s private area to study the Pokémon that the trainers from Pallet Town and Viridian City catch and return to Professor Oak. The kid down the street, I think his name is Ash, just left for Johto for a journey, leaving 25 Tauros at Professor Oak’s for study.

I got there around 7:50 AM and I pounded on the door. A tall woman with long red hair and glasses answered the door. She was wearing a lab coat and a knee length skirt, but her coat was similar to Professor Oak’s, but with an orange M on the side of her right sleeve. “You must be Drew,” the woman said. “Please enter.” “Thanks!” I replied. “I am Professor Magnolia,” Professor Magnolia stated. “I come from Shamrock Town, in Merin.” “What’s this all about?” I asked. “Just come with me,” the Professor said. In Professor Oak’s Den, there stood Professor Oak and Rowan, with another woman and a man. They all looked at me and then had a look on their face that showed “that they weren’t quite ready”. “Professor Elm, Professor Araragi, I would like you to meet Drew,” Professor Oak said pointing to me. “Hello Drew, I’m Professor Elm, from Johto,” Professor Elm answered. “And I’m Professor Araragi, from the Isshu Region,” Professor Araragi responded. There was still something not right amidst all the Professors.

Just at that instant, there was a large screech outside and the slamming of a car door. Professor Elm went to the window and came back. “He’s finally here,” he said sarcastically. I went to the hallway looking at the front door. The door slammed open and in came a large figure going at full speed, which ended up tackling me. “Professor Birch!” I exclaimed, being crushed by the Professor. “Drew, it is finally nice to see you again!” Professor Birch replied. Professor Oak clapped his hands together and said, “Now that everyone is here, we can get started!” As Professor Birch walked into the den, he handed Professor Oak a white paper bag with the top folded off.

I sat in a lone, lazy chair with all the Professors standing in a half circle in front of me. “Why do you think you’re here?” Professor Magnolia asked. “Well,” I said. “I’m going to be given my first Pokémon and set off on a journey?” “You are somewhat right,” Professor Elm answered. “So, I’m going to enter the Indigo League?” I inquired. “Not necessarily,” Professor Araragi responded. “You are going to do something even better,” Professor Oak added. “About three weeks ago, there was a new Pokémon League Formed. It is called the Verdant League...” Professor Birch then butted in, “Instead of facing eight gyms throughout a region and facing off in their championship Conferences…” “And then facing their Elite Four, and if you’re luck, their Champion,” I finished what Professor Birch was saying. “The Verdant League is a whole lot different,” Professor Araragi began. “You can only start out with one Pokémon, and the League requires for you to visit specific gyms in specific regions. Only the Isshu region is not participating in this league, since the Elite Four there didn’t allow it.” “So, then why are you here?” I asked. “I am to be your designated Pokémon Professor for the League!” Professor Araragi replied. “There’s more,” Professor Magnolia stated. “You are allowed to keep your one Pokémon, but how the league works, when you arrive in a region, you must catch Pokémon of four different types and train them as you go visit the five Verdant League-designated gyms in that region. You will start here in Kanto, go to Sinnoh, then Merin then Hoenn and end in Johto. It is then you will hear of the place where you must travel with all the Pokémon you’ve trained.” “When you arrive in each region,” Professor Rowan said. “Each Professor will give you a starter Pokémon given to each trainer when they begin their journey. You will have to make sure that the next four Pokémon you train are of a different type, and at any given time while in a region, you are only allowed for one Pokémon to share a secondary type with another. The Pokémon you choose here is exempt from the rule.”

As each Professor was telling me a different aspect of the League, my eyes were filled with a glimmer. I knew I was going to do great, since I was the son of a supposed League Champion. “The League Champion of each region,” Professor Elm began after a long silence. “They will give you a special badge after you have completed the requirements in their respective region, but since Kanto is without a Champion, Lorelei will give you your badge of passage!” “One last thing,” Professor Oak added. “You go straight to face the Elite four if you collect all five Region badges.” “I should mention that this League is harder than all the others,” Professor Araragi said. “Only select trainers are selected by the Regional Professors for this League.” “Wait, you want me,” I began. “With absolutely no battling experience and no experience training a Pokémon. I know my father was the Champion of the Sinnoh League, but..” Professor Oak instantly flared up, “Who told you that?” “Professor Rowan did, sir,” I answered. “And then he passed it down to Cynthia. But, what doesn’t make sense is how did my dad become the Champion if he said he spent his entire life in Austin?” All the professors began to look around the room like I didn’t say anything.

After a long silence, Professor Birch broke the silence and asked, “Do you accept the Verdant League challenge?” “Let’s go!” I exclaimed. “I’m ready for a challenge!” “Now follow me,” Professor Rowan said. He walked into the room behind the kitchen and then down some stairs into the research lab. The other Professors followed me. “Now, this is where you will meet your first Pokémon,” Professor Rowan said. “We have been authorized to give you the League Starters, which aren’t conventional starters to a normal league. They are higher level, much stronger Pokémon, since the trainers entering the Verdant League are usually highly skilled trainers.” All the Professors stood behind a respective Pokéball, except Professor Araragi, who stood next to me. “Each Pokéball contains a Pokémon found commonly in their region, even though they are probably found in others.” “Professor Oak held up a photo and the other professors did the same. They were pictures of Pokémon, but I had no idea what they were. “This is a Lapras, a Water/Ice type Pokémon, it can be quite docile at times, and is a powerful opponent,” Professor Oak said. “This is a Heracross, a Bug/Fighting type Pokémon, it is strong-willed and not easily able to be put down,” Professor Elm said. “This is a Torkoal, a Fire type, it has a hard shell and its Fire and Ground attacks can really pack a wallop,” Professor Birch added. “This is Spiritomb,” Professor Rowan stated. “It is a Ghost/Dark type Pokémon that is sure to leave its opponents scared out of their wits.” “That leaves Tropius, a Grass/Flying type; it takes the grace of flying types and combines it with the power of Grass types, not to mention the fruit that grows on it is delicious!” Professor Magnolia exclaimed.

I walked up to each Pokémon’s picture and glanced at the pictures of each. I kept scratching my head trying to choose which one I wanted, and then I weighed the balances of each Pokémon. Every Pokémon was great, extraordinary in every way I could imagine! I stepped over to Professor Rowan, and then Professor Elm and then stopping for a moment at Professor Magnolia. I went over to Professor Oak, stood there and though again. Professor Birch leaned over to Professor Elm, “Kids usually don’t take this long.” “I didn’t know about what Pokémon were being offered,” I retorted. I stood back in the center of the room next to Professor Araragi and said, “I choose…”

=End Chapter 2=

SlowPokemon

I voted for Heracross. Think about it... You would look fairly weird using a Lapras on land. Torkoal and Tropius were close seconds, but Spiritomb (while I like it) isn't really partner material. ;)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DrP

Well, the poll is just for fun. The Pokémon chosen (well, not the one you picked) is already set in stone.

DrP

Next chapter's gonna be posted tomorrow... you won't be surprised at the Pokémon I chose for starters! (though it was already set in stone)