Steps to Simplicity - Story Update + Dropbox File(4.17.2012)

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I just give the ending away?

NO! I want you to finish this
No. This is dead. It's like a failed TV Show, no closure
Yeah, I could care less if the story was finished, but I want to see the wrap up
Yes! I think I need closure on the story.

DrP

The Original Word Doc (Automatically Updated): Steps to Simplicity
(If I continue writing the story, all future posts will have a notification to download the document!

Chapter 1: Green Town Entrance

I remember right after my twelfth birthday, I had something extraordinary happen to me. I was visiting my dad in Lilycove City for my birthday. My parents divorced when I was four, so I got to visit my dad for my birthday and Christmas. We always had so much fun, since the city is right on the water, like Seattle is. We'd visit the beach, get on my dad's Lapras and go water skiing and then go swimming with the Mantyke and Horsea. As I was leaving to go home, my dad said something. "I know you may have not done many things like the kids your age are doing now," he told me. "Your time has come. The government lets you go on a journey from leaving school at the age of 10, but you mother and I just wanted you to study. I will entrust you with this Poké Ball." He gave me a Poké Ball, but it wasn't like a normal one – it was purple on the top half and white on the bottom half, with two pink mounds on the top of it, with an "M" embossed on the top. "Now, don't lose this ball," my dad told me. "It is extremely important. Also, when you arrive home, there might be something great in store for you, if you can deliver this ball unharmed to Professor Oak." "Gotcha dad!" I replied. He went up to the ticket counter and got my ticket. I gave my father a huge hug and waved bye as I entered the security checkpoint at the airport.

I was sitting in Lilycove International Airport, waiting for my flight to Viridian City to begin boarding. I looked out the window into the deep blue ocean, so calm, so tranquil.  Nothing could stir the ocean in its stillness. It would be my last glimpse of Lilycove City in a long time (not to mention, I'm a sucker for a good landscape). I took out the Poké Ball and looked at it. In the United States, Poké Balls are illegal to be carried on a plane and Pokémon are not allowed on a plane unless they are classified by the Global Pokémon Body as a Normal Type and contain a Pokémon less than 50kg (meaning no Snorlax), but here, Poké Balls are locked from use while in the air. I opened my pack to find a book my dad put in there. I read the title: Pokémon and Modern Society. It seemed to be interesting; I always wanted to know how Pokémon made it to the rest of the world. I opened the book into Chapter One. It was titled The Verdant Republic.

Basically, Pokémon were discovered in the Verdant Republic, a group of five large islands, called regions, as well as smaller archipelagos. There are six main regions: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Merin, and Unova. Kanto and Johto are on the same island, Isla Kanto. Hoenn is a smaller island to the southwest of Johto, which is on the west side of Isla Kanto, Sinnoh is a large island to the northeast of Kanto, Merin is west of Sinnoh and north of Johto, and Unova is northwest of Hoenn.  Before 1870, the people of the Verdant Republic spoke Fushigidane, a now-dead language, a variant of Japanese. The Japanese were the only outside people who were in contact with the six Kingdoms (each region was a Kingdom).

In 1850, Vermilion City was discovered by French explorer Marquis Jacques de Verdant. In 1910, the English took control of Goldenrod City. There was a massive battle between the two forces which resulted in the English taking control of the entire nation. Unlike the Western European countries, the then-Kingdom of Kanto was technologically advanced compared to England, launching their first human into space in 1843 from the Mossdeep City Spaceport. It seems so interesting, to learn about a complete civilization that wasn't eradicated. When the English took control of Goldenrod City, the entire nation was split in two, with Johto, Hoenn and Unova going to the British and Kanto, Merin and Sinnoh to the French (as well as the Orange Archipelago and the Sevii Islands). Actually, for about a week, the British controlled the entire group of islands, but French resistance made them relinquish possessions (with help from the Americans, of course). In 1945, after World War II, the British withdrew power from the area and the French stayed in control.

The three regions under British control were then sovereign and formed the Verdant Republic, recognizing their roots of discovery, with a capital centered in Rustboro City. The French "Départment d'outre-mer: Merin" with its capital in Carnelian City, in Merin. The French finally offered their territories sovereignty in 1972, and they combined with the Verdant Republic, calling them the latter and centering at Goldenrod City. English and French became the official languages of the Republic, though French is rarely used. This was all interesting history; I never learned this in school. I wasn't like most people, I was born in the United States and we moved to Pallet Town when I was eight because my mom's then-boyfriend wanted us to go there. We decided to stay, except with one thing we didn't know about. These were the animals we call Pokémon

Pokémon have always lived in the Verdant Republic with no threats from outside countries. Lavender Town, in Kanto is only 324 miles west of Perth, Australia. A plane ride from the Verdant Republic's main airport in Goldenrod to Perth is only under two hours. The airport in Jubilife City is only about 45 minutes. The only flights to the United States directly are from Goldenrod City, and they go to Los Angeles and Seattle, and they just opened these routes with the introduction of the Boeing 777-200LR, because the flights are over 9,000 miles and takes almost 18 hours. So, we are close to civilization of what these people call the "civilized world". Even though Pokémon have existed since the dawn of time with man, there are still many discoveries about them as we progress in time and have major technological breakthroughs.

The laws in the Verdant Republic are similar to the laws of the Western World, but there are some slight variations. Back on Constitution Day, in the Gregorian calendar, March 9, 1427, Pokémon had to be considered in the laws since they were with humans for the most part of their lives, and interacted with them daily. People are only allowed to carry six Pokémon at a time, unless they are a Pokémon Professor or Researcher, then they can carry 10. If one leaves the country jurisdictions, one can only take two Pokémon off the approved list. If one fails to break these laws, the Poké Balls will be transferred to the storage system at their regional professor lab or Pokémon Center. Poké Balls are an enigma of machinery. They [Poké Balls] are registered to a certain person, they can teleport anywhere within the Verdant Republic, they can collapse (even with a Pokémon inside) and they can hold any size Pokémon. They are either by two companies: Silph or Devon, or made out of certain fruits called Apricorns. Other laws protect children and their Pokémon. Children are allowed to apply for a trainer's license at the age of 10. If they pass a test, they are given a Pokédex and a starter Pokémon, only available in that region. They are allowed to participate in their regional league. I wasn't allowed because my parents wouldn't let me and wanted to stay in school. I finally realized their decision was the right one, and I may move back to the United States when I go there to attend College.

In the Verdant Republic, training with a Pokémon is considered a diploma from a Secondary Education School, though it offers and education system similar to the one in the United States. When a person turns 18, they are given a Secondary Education diploma, given that a student spent their last year studying for college. Pokémon are part of the average daily lives of everyone in the Verdant Republic. I looked up, next to the gate agent was a Mr. Mime collecting boarding passes for the Rustboro flight. For example, people use Fighting types for building (like Machoke), Grass Type Pokémon for plant care (like Rosrade), and Water Types for swimming instruction (like Staryu), or a Meowth for Noodle Shops.

A voice came on the PA, "Now Boarding all rows for Flight 219 to Viridian City. Please show all Poké Balls to the gate agent for inspection." I got up and stood in line to get on the plane. People had to show Poké Balls just to make sure that their manifest was correct with the amount of Pokémon travelling with a person and that it matched their tickets. I arrived to one of the gate agents. "How many Pokémon do you have with you?" she asked me. "I don't own any," I replied. "I do have this Poké Ball for Professor Oak, though." "Oh, yes," she stated. "The ticketing counter told us about you. Thank you! Please give your ticket to the Machamp ahead. Have a nice flight!" "Thanks!" I added. I got on the plane and I realized where I was sitting; I had a First Class ticket! I was excited; this was a first for me.

After the plane took off, I just sat and read the magazines from the seat in front of me. After I got bored of that, I looked out the window. I could see off in the distance, two Pokémon; one was red, the other was blue. I wondered what they were doing all the way up here, but then I thought they were just lost bird Pokémon. I looked down and we were flying over Mossdeep City, and it was pretty this time of day. The flight in total took a little under two hours. I picked up Pokémon and Modern Society and began the next chapter. This chapter was entitled The Magic of the Poké ball

In the world, there are twenty-one variants of a basic Poké Ball. There are others, ones used of tourneys and events like in the Safari Zones of the various regions. When a Poké Ball is bought or received, the trainer encodes his ID into the ball by waving the "Read Poké Ball" sensor on the Pokédex and pressing "Encode ID" on the touchscreen. This sensor also is used to determine the moves known by a Pokémon and its nature all from within the Poké Ball. As I mused before, an invisible airwave teleportation system exists within the borders of the Verdant Republic. With this in place, the airwaves know when one exceeds his/her limit of carrying Pokémon, and will transfer Pokémon to the Regional Professor or their Hometown storage facility (it all depends whether you received your first Pokémon from Nurse Joy or a Professor). I turned the page and it gave a pictorial description of each ball, its catch rate and its special uses (if applicable). I took out the ball my dad gave me and I looked to find it in the book.

Before I could look at the name, the man sitting next to me said, "So, you've got a Master Ball." "Uh, yes," I replied. I looked at the man; he was tall, with grey hair and seemed kind of intimidating. He spoke with a deep voice, and for some reason I felt like he would just steal the Poké Ball from me and hold it above my head, making me jump for it and beg. "How did someone your age get a hold of one of those?" he asked me. "Those balls take about 3 months to produce one. Devon and Silph only release about eight a year, between the two companies." "I didn't know that!" I answered. "The ball, however, is for Professor Oak. I'm just on my way to give it to him. Just what exactly does this ball do?" "This ball can catch any Pokémon without weakening it. It's the perfect Poké Ball. These aren't even sold; they are given to special people." "Wow, so these are really rare," I answered. "Indeed they are," the man noted. "How'd did you get ahold of the ball in the first place?" "I was here visiting my father. He went on a trip to Rustboro for three days and came back with it. He then gave it to me to take to Professor Oak," I said. "Do you know Professor Oak well?" the man said. "He's my neighbor, so of course!" I retorted. "When I turned 10, he pressured my parents to let me go on a journey with a Pokémon and enter the Indigo League, but they both disagreed." "So, you have past age 10 without gaining a Pokémon?" the man said. "That's right," I answered.

I looked out the window and saw a larger city beneath us with a tall tower and a big clearing that has a bunch of rubble in the middle. On top of this tower, I saw a gold looking bird, just enjoying its day and eating something. "The great thing is," I continued while looking out. "There's something big waiting for me when I arrive home." "Well, congratulations, on whatever it is," the man replied. "I forgot to ask. Who exactly is your father?" "Oh," I responded. "His name's Alex Norman." "Wait, THE Alex Norman?" the man questioned. "Is he the Alex Norman that is the Chairman of the Devon Corporation?" "That's him alright," I answered. "He goes to Rustboro about 3 days a week. You know him?" "I do, but not from his work at Devon," the man responded. "He and I go way back. He used to be the Sinnoh Elite Four Champion he passed it down to Cynthia." "What's the Elite Four?" I asked. "You don't know?" The man said as he looked at me as if I asked a stupid question. "You'll find out soon enough." The man then got up and went towards the back of the plane. "Attention passengers," one of the flight attendants came on the PA system. "We are beginning our descent into Viridian City. Please make sure your seats are upright for landing. Thank you for flying Air Verdant." I looked my window; I saw a large plateau with a bunch of stadia and a few towers. I always wondered what that place was. It was pretty built up for not being that populated. I know someday, I'll find out what that place is. Whenever I asked the question to Professor Oak, he would quickly change the subject.

The plane landed around 4 PM, and I looked outside at the trees engulfing the airfield. It wasn't the largest airport, but it was the second largest in Kanto after the Saffron-Celadon-Cerulean Airport. Viridian was about a 3 hour drive south from Pewter, and it usually took us about an hour and a half to get home in traffic. I walked into the main terminal where my mom stood with a Happiny standing next to her. I ran with open arms (though I had a backpack on and bags hanging on to my arms) and gave her a huge hug. "Welcome home, Drew," my mom said. "How was your dad's?" "It was fun," I remarked. "I want to see Professor Oak immediately when I get home." I looked around for the man who I talked to on the plane. "Ok, let's go home!" my mom replied. "There are some people who want to see you!" "Who?" I asked. Just then a Growlithe and a Skitty came running up to me and knocking me to the floor. "Growlithe! Skitty! It is so nice to see you two again!" I exclaimed. Growlithe then proceeded to lick me like crazy. "Growlithe, stop," I said. "Not until we get home." I stood up and Skitty jumped up on my shoulder. "So, mom, how come you have a Happiny?" I asked. "Professor Oak gave him to me," she answered. "He thinks I may need her to help around the house." "Sounds cool, let's get home!" Happiny then proceeded to take all the bags and go out to the car.

Here's Chapter 2. There's a Cliff hanger at the end.

Chapter 2: You Mean What?

I was so excited to return home, though I love spending time in Hoenn. I wanted to see what this huge surprise my father was talking about. I clutched the Master Ball in my hand waiting to see what was going to happen. I burst out of the car the instant my mother pulled into the driveway. "I'll be back soon!" I yelled running down the road to Professor Oak's lab. By the time I reached the top step of the flight of stairs that led to the Professor's lab, I was exhausted beyond belief, using my arms to pull me atop the landing at the top. After waiting a few minutes, I got enough strength to pull myself up and get to the door. I rang the bell and I heard a fast scurry on the inside. By now, the sun had set behind the hills to the east and the Velbert and Illumine came out lighting the warm June night, making light patterns off in the distance.

A light next to the door turned on and the door flung open. Professor Oak stood at the door perplexed. "You're not Chinese food..." the Professor said scratching his head. "I have something for you," I stated. "Can I come in?" Before Professor Oak could say anything, I ran right inside toward his den. I came to a screeching halt when I saw what I saw. The man who was sitting next to me on the plane was sitting on Professor Oak's couch. He looked somehow a little different than on the plane. "Professor, I have a present from my father," I said. I handed him the Master Ball. "It has been many years since I have seen one of these," the Professor answered as he gazed mysteriously at the Poké Ball. "Professor, I don't mean to alarm you," I began. "But the man sitting in your den was this mysterious man that sat next to me on the plane and asked my lots of questions." "Oh, I was going to wait until tomorrow, but what the heck," the Professor said. "Come!" I followed the Professor into the den.

The man stood up. He was wearing a white lab coat, similar to that of Professor Oak's, but with a gray S on the right sleeve. "Drew, this is Professor Rowan," Professor Oak said. "He is a colleague of mine, the regional professor from the Sinnoh region." "It is finally a pleasure to introduce myself, Drew," Professor Rowan replied. "Professor Oak and I do have a surprise for you, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, since we aren't finished with it yet." "But I've been waiting all morning," I complained. "Trust me, we can't unveil our surprise until everyone is here," Professor Oak responded.  "Now go on home, and get some rest. Come back at 8 AM tomorrow." "Ok, then," I answered. I bolted out of the lab and ran straight home. I quickly got into bed because of all energy I burnt when I ran back home. I didn't even bother to take any article of clothing off, not even my shoes. 
I woke up just a few minutes before 5 AM. I shot out of bed and flipped on all the lights. Skitty came walking out from her little kitty house with that dazed look in her eyes, not knowing what happened. She let out a big cat yawn and walked toward me. "Today's the big day Skitty," I said. "I just can't focus." I sat down on the couch in our living room and sat there for almost half an hour just petting Skitty and wondering what this huge surprise was: A brand new Pokémon, a change to go to Sinnoh or even Merin, a PokéDex... so many possibilities. Then, to pass the time, I took out the book that my dad gave me and opened to Chapter Three: The Pokémon League
In the Verdant Republic, there are six Official Pokémon Leagues, and an unofficial one. Each region has their respective league, including the Orange Islands with the seventh and unofficial league. To participate in the league championships of each individual league, one must visit and win in each of the Eight Gyms located throughout the region. After all eight "Gym Badges" are obtained; one may enter in the Pokémon League of their respective region. What makes this a fool proof system is that the badges are hand made by the Gym Leaders themselves, and are given a special serial number and embedded chip to prove their authenticity. They can only be stored in League approved cases, because when applying for the championships, they must sit in the case and run through a scanner to prove entrance into the League.

If a trainer attains eight Kanto Badges, they enter the Indigo League and face other trainers, if they arrive in the top four, they will be permitted to face the Four Heavenly Kings, or Elite Four for short. These four trainers are the strongest of their specific Pokémon types in the region. If one manages to beat all four, then the person has an opportunity to face the League Champion. Only skilled trainers make it this far. The guidelines apply to Johto's Silver Conference, Hoenn's Ever Grande Conference, Sinnoh's Lily of the Valley Conference, Merin's Chrysanthemum Conference and Unova's White Conference. If one travels to the Orange Islands and collect all four badges, then they can face the Orange League Champion and be inducted into the Hall of Fame if they beat the Champion.

I closed the book after the end of the chapter. I mulled over the Elite Four and Champion many times. Professor Rowan said my father was the Sinnoh League Champion before he handed it to Cynthia. I shook my head in disbelief. My father was from Austin, Texas and he had no connection to Pokémon until we moved to our first house in Azalea Town. And by the time we moved to the Verdant Republic, Cynthia was the Sinnoh League Champion. After spending countless minutes trying to figure out the connection and how my father was the league champion. After collecting my thoughts and returning to reality, it was already 7:30 AM and before my mom could say good morning, I ran out towards Professor Oak's, but forgetting to open the screen door. Let's just say, there is a Drew-shaped hole in my mom's screen door. I ran all the way to the lab, which was about a little less than a half a mile down the road.

The morning was crisp and cool, unlike the uncommon balmy summer weather that occurred last night. I looked above me to see flocks of Pidgey, Starly, and Tallow fly overhead. They were enjoying the morning as much as I was. There were only a few streets in Pallet Town that consisted of the major residents and the main small shops. I had to run down the street I lived on and make a right turn to go south toward Professor Oak's Lab, which sit upon a hilltop on the outskirts of the town. If I ran further down the road, I would reach the bay that leads south towards Cinnabar Island. There was a long path laden with oak trees leading up to the stairs of the Oak Lab. The Pokémon Range, Professor Oak's private area to study the Pokémon that the trainers from Pallet Town and Viridian City catch and return to Professor Oak. The kid down the street, I think his name is Ash, just left for Johto for a journey, leaving 25 Tauros at Professor Oak's for study.

I got there around 7:50 AM and I pounded on the door. A tall woman with long red hair and glasses answered the door. She was wearing a lab coat and a knee length skirt, but her coat was similar to Professor Oak's, but with an orange M on the side of her right sleeve. "You must be Drew," the woman said. "Please enter." "Thanks!" I replied. "I am Professor Magnolia," Professor Magnolia stated. "I come from Shamrock Town, in Merin." "What's this all about?" I asked. "Just come with me," the Professor said. In Professor Oak's Den, there stood Professor Oak and Rowan, with another woman and a man. They all looked at me and then had a look on their face that showed "that they weren't quite ready". "Professor Elm, Professor Juniper, I would like you to meet Drew," Professor Oak said pointing to me. "Hello Drew, I'm Professor Elm, from Johto," Professor Elm answered. "And I'm Professor Juniper, from the Unova Region," Professor Juniper responded. There was still something not right amidst all the Professors.

Just at that instant, there was a large screech outside and the slamming of a car door. Professor Elm went to the window and came back. "He's finally here," he said sarcastically. I went to the hallway looking at the front door. The door slammed open and in came a large figure going at full speed, which ended up tackling me. "Professor Birch!" I exclaimed, being crushed by the Professor. "Drew, it is finally nice to see you again!" Professor Birch replied. Professor Oak clapped his hands together and said, "Now that everyone is here, we can get started!" As Professor Birch walked into the den, he handed Professor Oak a white paper bag with the top folded off.
I sat in a lone, lazy chair with all the Professors standing in a half circle in front of me. "Why do you think you're here?" Professor Magnolia asked. "Well," I said. "I'm going to be given my first Pokémon and set off on a journey?" "You are somewhat right," Professor Elm answered. "So, I'm going to enter the Indigo League?" I inquired. "Not necessarily," Professor Juniper responded. "You are going to do something even better," Professor Oak added. "About three weeks ago, there was a new Pokémon League Formed. It is called the Verdant League..." Professor Birch then butted in, "Instead of facing eight gyms throughout a region and facing off in their championship Conferences..." "And then facing their Elite Four, and if you're luck, their Champion," I finished what Professor Birch was saying. "The Verdant League is a whole lot different," Professor Juniper began. "You can only start out with one Pokémon, and the League requires for you to visit specific gyms in specific regions. Only the Unova Region is not participating in this league, since the Elite Four there didn't allow it." "So, then why are you here?" I asked. "I am to be your designated Pokémon Professor for the League!" Professor Juniper replied. "There's more," Professor Magnolia stated. "You are allowed to keep your one Pokémon, but how the league works, when you arrive in a region, you must catch Pokémon of four different types and train them as you go visit the five Verdant League-designated gyms in that region. You will start here in Kanto, go to Sinnoh, then Merin then Hoenn and end in Johto. It is then you will hear of the place where you must travel with all the Pokémon you've trained." "When you arrive in each region," Professor Rowan said. "Each Professor will give you a starter Pokémon given to each trainer when they begin their journey. You will have to make sure that the next four Pokémon you train are of a different type, and at any given time while in a region, you are only allowed for one Pokémon to share a secondary type with another. The Pokémon you choose here is exempt from the rule."

As each Professor was telling me a different aspect of the League, my eyes were filled with a glimmer. I knew I was going to do great, since I was the son of a supposed League Champion. "The League Champion of each region," Professor Elm began after a long silence. "They will give you a special badge after you have completed the requirements in their respective region, but since Kanto is without a Champion, Lorelei will give you your badge of passage!" "One last thing," Professor Oak added. "You go straight to face the Elite four if you collect all five Region badges." "I should mention that this League is harder than all the others," Professor Juniper said. "Only select trainers are selected by the Regional Professors for this League." "Wait, you want me," I began. "With absolutely no battling experience and no experience training a Pokémon. I know my father was the Champion of the Sinnoh League, but..." Professor Oak instantly flared up, "Who told you that?" "Professor Rowan did, sir," I answered. "And then he passed it down to Cynthia. But, what doesn't make sense is how did my dad become the Champion if he said he spent his entire life in Austin?" All the professors began to look around the room like I didn't say anything. After a long silence, Professor Birch broke the silence and asked, "Do you accept the Verdant League challenge?" "Let's go!" I exclaimed. "I'm ready for a challenge!" "Now follow me," Professor Rowan said.

He walked into the room behind the kitchen and then down some stairs into the research lab. The other Professors followed me. "Now, this is where you will meet your first Pokémon," Professor Rowan said. "We have been authorized to give you the League Starters, which aren't conventional starters to a normal league. They are higher level, much stronger Pokémon, since the trainers entering the Verdant League are usually highly skilled trainers." All the Professors stood behind a respective Poké Ball, except Professor Juniper, who stood next to me. "Each Poké Ball contains a Pokémon found commonly in their region, even though they are probably found in others." "Professor Oak held up a photo and the other professors did the same. They were pictures of Pokémon, but I had no idea what they were. "This is a Lapras, a Water/Ice type Pokémon, it can be quite docile at times, and is a powerful opponent," Professor Oak said. "This is a Heracross, a Bug/Fighting type Pokémon, it is strong-willed and not easily able to be put down," Professor Elm said. "This is a Torkoal, a Fire type, it has a hard shell and its Fire and Ground attacks can really pack a wallop," Professor Birch added. "This is Spiritomb," Professor Rowan stated. "It is a Ghost/Dark type Pokémon that is sure to leave its opponents scared out of their wits." "That leaves Tropius, a Grass/Flying type; it takes the grace of flying types and combines it with the power of Grass types, not to mention the fruit that grows on it is delicious!" Professor Magnolia exclaimed.

I walked up to each Pokémon's picture and glanced at the pictures of each. I kept scratching my head trying to choose which one I wanted, and then I weighed the balances of each Pokémon. Every Pokémon was great, extraordinary in every way I could imagine! I stepped over to Professor Rowan, and then Professor Elm and then stopping for a moment at Professor Magnolia. I went over to Professor Oak, stood there and though again. Professor Birch leaned over to Professor Elm, "Kids usually don't take this long." "I didn't know about what Pokémon were being offered," I retorted. I stood back in the center of the room next to Professor Juniper and said, "I choose..."

=End Chapter 2=

SlowPokemon

Coooool!

This makes me want to post my own chapter two, which involves Will, Karen, and Aaron picking their starter Pokemon. I think Aaron is my favorite of the three...

Oops, sorry, I could rant on about that forever.

Anyway, about the topic - this is good, but I think that chapter one was best so far. I can't wait to see some of the really good chapters (like six and seven, if you're correct). This strikes me as more of a filler/explanation chapter rather than one that contributes heavily to the plot.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DrP

Chapter 3: Off in Kanto

“I choose Lapras!” I exclaimed. “Why did you choose it?” Professor Araragi inquired. “If you are travelling on land, what is the point of it?” “Lapras can be a powerful Pokémon when it can be, according to Professor Oak,” I replied. “Plus, It is strong against so many types with its Ice/Water combination, with all the different moves it can learn, too. Also, this country is laden with lakes and rivers, and ocean, too!” “You always give great explanations to things that may seem like a horrible choice, and make it seem good,” Professor Oak added. “Now come with me.” I followed him into the next room. “You will now begin you journey through Kanto,” Professor Oak began. “You can choose between Bulbasaur, the Grass type, Charmander, the Fire type, or Squirtle, the Water type.” “This is an easier decision,” I answered. “I’ll take Squirtle.” “Why Squirtle? Don’t you already have a water type Pokémon?” Professor Oak asked. “Squirtle can grow into a Blastoise, which has a much greater Defense stat than Lapras and knowing Blastoise with all the training, it’ll become stronger than Lapras,” I stated. “Very good deduction about Blastoise,” Professor Oak responded. “That is quite correct.” Professor Oak handed me the Poké Ball containing Squirtle. “Wait until we get outside until you let him out,” Professor Oak said. We walked back into the room where the other Professors were.

Professor Elm walked up to me and said, “Here is your PokéDex, it is state-of-the-art technology that can… What can this do? I know it identifies Pokémon, but what else… hmmm...” “It can also register your Poké balls and identify everything you need to know about your Pokémon: moves, nature, gender, etc,” Professor Oak added. “Oh, yes, that’s right,” Professor Elm said embarrassed and walked into the kitchen. Professor Birch then walked up to me and began, “Here is a set of 20 Poké Balls:  2 Net Balls, 2 Dusk Balls, 2 Nest Balls, 2 Timer Balls, 2 Quick Balls, 5 Poké Balls and 5 Ultra Balls; All of these are standard issue for the Verdant League. They have been registered to you already, so no need to worry about registering them.” Professor Rowan then walked up to me and stated, “Here is 5,400 Poké Dollars, standard Government monetary issue to all new Verdant League trainers. Good luck, Drew!” Professor Magnolia walked up to me and said, “Here is a Poké Gear, a cellular device that also has a map of the entire country and a radio. I can’t wait to see you in Merin. Oh, all of our numbers are registered in there, just in case you have trouble.” Professor Araragi was last and began, “Here is a backpack. It is loaded with the basic Pokémon products for the Verdant League challenger: Hyper Potions, Revives, Full Heals, and various berries for your Pokémon.” “There is one more thing we must tell you,” Professor Oak said. “You must not travel with anyone. It is a League rule. Usually we encourage travelling in groups, but the League wants to look at your training style, and how original it is. You must not tell any other trainer what league you’re training for; simply just tell them you’re training for the league of the specific region you’re in. The Verdant League is very secretive and the government hasn’t announced its existence yet.” “Now, there are a couple of things I’m going to do,” Professor Araragi said. “I will call you sometime after your next gym battle to tell you what gym to go to next. Also, I will be travelling with you in the Sinnoh region, conducting Research there, so I will meet you when you arrive in the port at Canalave City.” “I do have a question,” I asked. “Can I use Growlithe as a Pokémon for the League?” “I don’t know,” Professor Araragi answered. “I’ll call Cynthia.” “Right now you should go outside and meet your Pokémon for the first time,” Professor Birch said.

I walked outside out to Professor Oak’s lake. “Let’s go!” I yelled throwing up the Poké balls. “I’ve always wanted to do that,” I muttered to myself. Lapras and Squirtle came straight out of their Poké balls right into the lake. Lapras looked like she was happy to get out of its Poké ball. Squirtle, on the other hand, just went nuts in the water. He swam around the lake in circles. I could tell Lapras was going to be annoyed with having to put with the energetic Water Turtle. “Squirtle!” I yelled. “Can you please get over here?” Squirtle, even though being a new Pokémon to a trainer, obeyed my command, which was hard for some Pokémon. One of my neighbors had a hard time getting on the same brain wave with his brand new Pikachu, who didn’t really trust him until my neighbor sort-of beat Brock in a fluke. Squirtle relaxed when it got out of the water. It just sat there, staring at its toes, like it got into the cookie jar and feels remorseful. “It’s ok, Squirtle,” I knelt down and whispered. My dad once told me, when talking to a Pokémon, get down to their eye level and speak to them from the heart. “I wasn’t yelling at you,” I continued. “I just wanted your attention.”

I stood back up and Lapras came over from the middle of the lake, recognizing what I did. “Hey Lapras!” I exclaimed. “You, me, and Squirtle are going on a journey together! Do you want to come along?” Lapras didn’t even shudder. Then after a long silence from her, she moved over to where I was. Then, out of nowhere, she opened her mouth and moved her neck down toward me, bit the top of my jeans, and began to elevate me above the ground. “HELP!” I screamed. “Lapras let me go!” I tried wriggling around to get Lapras to drop me! I saw Professor Elm and Professor Rowan appear in the window, both holding cups of coffee and both staring at Lapras and me. Then, Lapras moved me around to the other side and set me on her back. “You weren’t going to hurt were you?” I sighed in relief. Lapras nodded and set her head on top of mine and messed up my hair. “Lapras, why did you do that?” I asked with a happy inflection in my voice. “C’mon Squirtle, its ok,” I motioned to Squirtle. I then proceeded to wave to Professors Elm and Rowan, which startled Professor Elm to the point of slightly dropping his coffee mug and then juggling the mug to get his grasp back on the handle. Professor Rowan just shook his head and walked away. “Lapras, can you put me back on land, please?” I asked. Lapras picked me up and dropped me on the ground. “Are you ready to go?” I told Squirtle and Lapras. They all cried out in agreement. Squirtle even jumped up. “Ok then, let’s go,” I replied. I took out the Poké balls and returned Lapras and Squirtle to them.

I walked back inside to find all the Professors just sitting in Professor Oak’s dining room, just talking about their daily things that they do. “So, can I bring Growlithe,” I inquired. “Cynthia said it was fine, as long you didn’t have another fire type travelling with you,” Professor Araragi said. “So, it’s ok.” I clenched my fist and moved my arm back and whispered a loud “Yes!” “May I see your Poké Gear?” Professor Araragi queried. I handed her my Poké Gear. She pressed a few buttons and handed it back to me. “What did you do?” I asked. “Check your map mode,” Professor Araragi responded and winked at me. “All I see is the map of Kanto and a red line eventually ending up in Celadon City,” I replied confused. “It is the first gym you’re heading to. Follow the path and you’ll end up in Celadon city, no problem,” Professor Araragi said. Something on her wrist made a couple of dings and she said, “I have to head back to the Isshu region, something about a Pokabu that is out of control.” She ran right out and took her car and floored it to Viridian City. “Professor Araragi forgot to give you one thing,” Professor Magnolia replied. “Here is a Pokétch, a watch for Pokémon trainers. It is usually used in the Sinnoh region, but you can use it globally, just some apps may not work, as they are specifically for Sinnoh.” “Uh, thanks,” I said without the slightest clue about all the stuff I’ve been given. “Now, go run home and say goodbye to your mother and pick up Growlithe,” Professor Birch said. “We’ll meet you at the town entrance from Route 1. “Ok, sounds great,” I hastily answered.

After running back home, I slammed the door open. “Mom, I’m back!” I yelled. “Now, where’s Growlithe? He’s usually here at the door when I get home,” I thought to myself. I shut the door and walked into the living room. My mom was in the kitchen making lunch. “Hi mom!” I exclaimed. “Welcome back,” my mom answered. “It looks like I’m finally going on a Pokémon journey,” I stated. “I know,” my mom said. “Your father and I thought it was finally time. Professor Oak told us about this new league, and we thought it might be a challenge for the top graduate from Viridian Secondary.” “Is this why Professor Oak got you a Happiny?” I asked, knowing the answer. “Yes,” my mom replied with a downcast face. All of a sudden, an object came charging at me and knocked me to the ground. “Growlithe!” I yelled with a smile on my face. I turned around to find Growlithe holding a Poké ball in his mouth. “It looks like Growlithe wants to go with you,” my mom pointed out. “I was planning on taking him anyway,” I answered. “You wanna go with me, boy?” I said in a cutesy voice. Growlithe nodded and I put him back in his Pokéball. I then took out my PokéDex and registered Growlithe to me. “I have to go meet Professor Birch and the others at the town entrance,” I said. “Where’s Skitty, I wanna say goodbye.” “She’s sleeping in your room,” my mom answered. I ran into my room. “Skitty!” I exclaimed. Skitty stood up and arched her back, stretching after her delightful catnap in the sun rays. “I have to leave for a long journey,” I said picking her up. “You stay good for mom, okay?” I gave her a big hug and set her down. I ran out into the foyer to find my mother standing there with a large pile of laundry. “Drew, you are gonna have to take some of this stuff with you,” my mom said. “You can’t just live in one outfit.” My mom quickly took my backpack off and with lightning speed, packed a lot of stuff in the bag, including some extra things like a pop-up tent and attached a sleeping bag to the bottom of the pack. “I put in a lunch for you. Good luck, Drew!” I gave my mom one last hug and left the house.

I ran all the way to the town gate where it was laden with some townsfolk and the Professors. “Hi Professor Birch,” I called out. “I’m back!” After catching up to them, Professor Rowan said, “We have one last parting gift for you.” The professors moved out of the way to show a bicycle. “You are going to need to travel places fast,” Professor Elm said. “There’s a spot on the back of the bike for… what is it now. Oh, it’s for a Pokémon to sit if they want to come out and ride with you.” “Thanks Professors!” I exclaimed. “I can’t believe this is happening to me!” “A couple of last things,” Professor Oak said. “Stay off the carriageways and stick to the bike paths and trainer passages. We don’t want to see you getting scraped of K1.” K1 was the main motorway between Viridian City and Pallet Town. Every region has a prefix of the letter of their region and the number of freeway corresponding to the route(s) it passes through.

“Also,” Professor Magnolia added. “Here is a phone number. Don’t call this person until you are presented with the Kanto Badge by Lorelei. They will give you further instructions on what to do next.” “Uh, ok,” I replied and stuck the piece of paper in the front pocket of my filled-to-the-brim pack. “Let’s go Growlithe!” I yelled throwing up his Poké ball. “Want to ride with the boss?” He nodded and got on the back of the bike (which I already mounted). “You need to go all the way up to Diglett’s cave, outside of Pewter City,” Professor Oak said. “Don’t stop in Viridian City unless you absolutely have to. And when the road splits before the forest, take the route leading around the forest. It’s a more direct and faster route to the cave. Good luck Drew!” “Thanks for everything Professor Oak. Professor Elm. Professor Magnolia. Professor Rowan. Professor Birch. Thanks,” I answered. I pushed my foot down on the pedal and I was off onto Route 1.

Route 1 was a beautiful route. I could feel the breeze as my bike zoomed toward Viridian city. The bike route was far from the main road, and I could experience the beautiful nature of Kanto. The path was laid with trees and shrubs; it was definitely manicured for the traveller on foot (or bike). I looked above to see a bunch of Starly flying overhead, which prompted Growlithe to bark at. “Growlithe, quiet,” I snarled. Growlithe then let out a whimper and stopped barking. “Sorry Growlithe,” I replied with a sorry inflection in my voice. “You can bark at things when we stop for lunch!” I smiled back at Growlithe. I continued straight ahead on the route, going over bridges and through the tunnels so I don’t have to bike over the hills. All I had was Growlithe and a music player to keep me company.

After about three hours on the road, and about 10 miles outside the Viridian City, I stopped at a river to have lunch. “C’mon out everyone,” I said throwing up the Poké balls. Lapras and Squirtle landed in the water. “Hey guys!” I called out. “I want you to meet Growlithe; he’s going to be joining our team.” Squirtle came up to Growlithe and gave him a hug. “That’s very nice of you Squirtle,” I answered smiling. I searched in my pack for Pokémon food. I found some cans and opened them up and fed them to everyone. I laid back on the bank looking up at the sky, feeling really relaxed with everything that just happened, because those professors with constantly saying things required me to constantly listen for what they were saying. I sat back up, diving into the sandwich my mother made. Everyone was calm, Lapras was bathing in the water, Squirtle was eating berries off a tree near here and Growlithe was rolling in a dirt pile.

Out of nowhere, a lone Pidgey came running to where we were, and though it passed us, Growlithe took notice and chased it into some bushes. “Growlithe, get out of there!” I yelled. All I could hear was barking and Pidgey making bird calls. I thought to myself, “Maybe I could catch this Pokémon?” I went over to where they were and Pidgey was using a peck attack. “Growlithe, torch it!” I yelled. He knew what I meant and flames came out of his mouth, striking (and slightly charring) the Pidgey. I threw a Poké ball and it caught the Pidgey. “Good job Growlithe!” I exclaimed. Come back to where the rest of us are!

So now I have a Pidgey, a bird that can be kind of weak, but if given proper training, it can be one powerful bird. When I got back to the site, I analyzed the Poké ball with my PokéDex and it said, “Pidgey, Nature: Serious, Moves: Gust, Sand-Attack, Aerial Ace…” It continued saying stats, but Aerial Ace… that was a move I never heard of. I looked up in a move field guide that somehow made its way into my backpack. “Aerial Ace is an attack that never misses because the foe won’t know where the Pokémon is until the last second.” “That must be one powerful attack,” I thought to myself. I looked at my Pokétch... “4:10 already!” I yelled. “We need to go!” I brought everyone back to their Poké balls, but I wanted to analyze Lapras before we left, so I know what I could do to train her. The Pokédex stated, “Lapras, Nature: Calm, Moves: Surf, Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Psychic…” “Psychic?!?” I thought flabbergasted. “How can a Lapras know Psychic? Did the Professors know about this?” After learning this, I was shocked and sort of happy, because it can be a pretty strong move if used right. I put Lapras’ ball on my belt and cleaned everything up. Growlithe sat up on my bike and I was on my way into Viridian City.

=End Chapter 3=

exactly! cause how can at one point leave pallet town with three pokémon and show up in celadon with 4 and an evolution of one of them... it doesnt make sense! (and im not saying who evolves... yet, you can probably figure it out)

SlowPokemon

I'm guessing Squirtle.

I can't wait to post chapter two tomorrow! My only regret is that it's fairly short. :P

And then I'll wait till Wednesday to post my slightly-longer chapter three.

In chapter four, they meet their rivals... and Karen has a bad night.

No details here, though, as I'm still writing chapter four.

This is gonna be good. :) Both yours and mine.

DrP

nope. that REALLY narrows it down.

and im excited too!

SlowPokemon

I'm in the middle of writing a scene which could possibly lead Karen to her doom... though of course it won't, because I'm the writer and I control these things.

DrP

and she goes into the elite four, you know!... you can't break canon!

SlowPokemon

Yeah, yeah, whatever... I've already twisted reality a bit with the Elite Four thing - I don't think a small death would hurt much. ;)

DrP

... but its KAREN, kill off Phoebe or someone unimportant (Glacia for example)

SlowPokemon

I'm not killing off Karen, either - the only way I would is if I do an "epilogue" many years after G/S where she dies.

DrP

ok... phew. i think i may finish chapter 4 tonight! woo, and i should be finished with chapter 9 of my book by monday night

SuperFireKirby

PUT YOUR ENTIRE STORY IN ONE THREAD.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

DrP

DrP

In Chapter 1, you read a little about the Merin region. Well, I have completed the map, so here's the region. Feel free to ask questions. There's a map legend below

SlowPokemon

...That is hardcore nerd right there.

Me and my friend used to do this type of thing... we never named the region though. :3