News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

djRyoji's Corner - Video Game Piano Vol. I (20 arrangements + sheetbook)

Started by DonValentino, September 04, 2010, 09:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Nothing right now)

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

DonValentino

Ok, now I'm really confused... Who's right, dammit?! :'(

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on March 27, 2013, 05:40:50 AMThey're just accidentals. Stop fighting.
Well, Deku's right! :P

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

Quote from: WarioMan98 on March 27, 2013, 04:51:03 AMI think I have to apologize; you were right, Brassman. See, Jompa, he's correct with the blues scales and everything he pointed out. All he said makes perfect sense. So yeah, I keep Brassman's version.

Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum - "Bicycle" MUS

Aw, you're making me blush.

Real quick, though. About the overall look of the document. I see you know how to use the resize tool, that's good. But one of the real important tools that I love to use after I'm done with all the nit-picky music stuff is: the Page Layout Tool. This is every documenter's best friend and really adds a nice touch of professionalism in everyone's work.

Alright, so, Your page margins. If you go to the page layout tool, you have a little drop down menu at the top. Click on it, then hover over Page Margins, then select Edit page margins from the extended drop down menu. You'll see that there are margin numbers for the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right margins for your document. Further down, you'll notice that there are options to where you want this rule to apply. Pretty self explanatory.

I usually don't mess with the top or bottom margins. It's always the left and right margins that have problems, mainly the left. You have it set right now to one inch, go ahead and change that to match all the other margins: to half an inch. (.5) Apply it to all pages and baddaboom! Now that space on the left had condensed and everything looks nice and even.

Okay, now that that's over. Lets take a look at the copyright dude, down there and where all your systems are placed. If you look around while you have the Page Layout tool, you'll notice that everything has a margin. The page, and all the systems that contain a grand staff of music. Alright, back to the copyright dude. Notice how he's in between a margin. Bump him down till he clears it. It may seem a bit low, but you'll see why. Once he's below the margin, let's go back to the menu on top for the Page Layout Tool. You'll see that there's an option called Space Systems Evenly. Go ahead and click on that. A nice little box with a few options will pop up. You'll notice the page selection, but more importantly are the options below it.

Distribute Systems - You have for the first option, "Distribute X amount of systems of each page." For the second option, "Place max amount of systems on each page." Which I feel works, but it's as customizable and specific as the first option. And then finally, "Don't changed the amount of Systems on each page." Which works great if you're in a rush.

We'll use the first option. So, if you take a look, you'll notice that each group of grand staves have a number to the left of them. These are systems and the numbers are labels. Keep in mind how many systems you have on each page, This is very important if you wanna keep your page looking nice and neat.

On the first page, there are 6 systems. So we'll go ahead and put a '6' on the first option. Make sure above that on page one is selected. Hit okay and watch what happens. Cool, huh? Now it just became much, much easier to read. Do this to the second page. (Space systems evenly on: page "2", Distribute Systems: Place "7" Systems on each page. Each page being the page you selected in the first set of options.

If you noticed, not much changed with the second page, but that's okay. That just means you planned properly and didn't over or undershoot how many systems you were going to have.

Well, that's the end of my tutorial I guess. Hope this helps and let me know how it works out.

DonValentino

Thanks a lot for that tutorial! I never wanted to mess up with the layout tool because I thought it was complicated, but now I think it's pretty simple! I updated "Bicycle" and also tried with my new arrangement (check it out below plz!). :)

K guys! Done with "Staff Credits" (checked the official soundtrack and it's not "Dance with Babies" after all). Please take a look at it and comment!
Also, pick your favorite song and vote on the poll! Gogogo!

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - "Staff Credits" MUS

SlowPokemon

http://vgmdb.net/album/14666

^According to that album (the only thing like an official soundtrack Partners in Time ever got) it is, but it's not a big deal since more people will recognize it by this name anyway.

This is the file with my changes, see what you think. Also it's up to you, but I think the decrescendo in measures 91-92 should be a crescendo.

Nice work. I might be printing this one.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DonValentino

So this is not official? Sorry then! I always thought it was. The cover is so well made it looks practically official! :P
I'll change it again then.

Your version is not very accurate, but if you like it it's ok.
Just some comments: Those Cs, for example on measure 2, do not exist. Really, complete silence in the song.
From measure 37 and so on I don't agree with the removal of octaves. Doesn't sound very good and in the original it is an octave higher.
Measure 91-92... Well not quite, listen carefully to the song in that part. The melody actually fades out, the percussion or whatever it is is what grows. I do agree though that a crescendo fits that better, but as I said, it's not the melody the one which grows.
And well, I wanted to imitate the ending as accurately as possible, but the ritardandos ritard too much in Finale... So yeah, I understand that you got rid of all those kind-of-fixes I tried to apply. :)

Thanks for your reply and glad you liked it!

Oh yeah, and forgot to say that I'll be probably using "Don Valentino" instead of "WarioMan98" as a nickname for my arrangements from now on. So if you see "Don Valentino" don't think I've stolen the arrangement or something.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - "Dance with Babies" MUS

spitllama

You can request a username change, you know.

Oh and lovin' that bicycle arrangement.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

DonValentino

Yeah, I know, but I don't think it's necessary. It would only be confusing. I'll just put Don Valentino on my arrangements, I think it's enough. :)

And glad you liked it! :D

Also removed the options of the poll that weren't voted. Please vote, I need something to do! :P

DonValentino

Elder Princess Shroob Battle                                    2 (33.3%)
Elder Princess Shroob Appears                                2 (33.3%)
Gritzy Desert                                                            2 (33.3%)

Oh c'mon. :P

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: WarioMan98 on March 28, 2013, 09:55:18 AMElder Princess Shroob Battle                                    2 (33.3%)
Elder Princess Shroob Appears                                2 (33.3%)
Gritzy Desert                                                            2 (33.3%)

Oh c'mon. :P

XD

FSM-Reapr

DonValentino

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on March 28, 2013, 10:02:38 AMsolution

DO THEM ALL

Finally! :P

I WILL XD

New poll then. Since I don't know how to remove it, I'll use it for something useful, don't you think?

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999