News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

PDF Sheet Conversion Project

Started by Winter, October 27, 2010, 09:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

This is a topic for us members who plan on taking our current sheets and converting them into PDF format with hopes of those sheets being submitted to the main page.

If someone requests that their work should NOT be allowed to be changed into pdf, they can leave a comment with that request.

Until we are able to add these pages to the site, this topic will have a complete list of each of the sheets that are converted. This page may be more applicable in the Submissions board, but until I am sure that this belongs there, The topic will remain in this board. I will be sending JaMaHa a message asking for me or another member to be given permission to edit the main page and begin adding these pages, so if you would like to see PDF's added to the main page, please help out! If he sees that many members are in approval of this idea, we will have a better chance of being able to add to the page.

Many people (including me) when first stumbling across this site usually don't have the motivation to download Finale Reader and leave without attempting to open the files. Also, many have asked (on this very forum) for help finding a program to read these files. Hopefully this project will lure in more members who can use this site effectively without needing to download something.

To convert a sheet it must follow these guidelines, otherwise we will have to fix both the PDF, and the original Finale sheet. This is so that we don't have twice as much editing work as we did before.
http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=481.0

Free PDFCreator:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/files/PDFCreator/PDFCreator%201.0.2/PDFCreator-1_0_2_setup.exe/download

Other useful programs:
http://davidbolton.info/articles/finale_pdf.html

It's important that when converting, make sure the file includes all the information necessary to prove that NSM came out with the PDF version of each of the sheets to prevent anybody from claiming to have created a sheet, when they haven't. (implying that they have created a PDF version before us)

I will update my post with everybody's submissions because nobody wanted to let the first few spots be reserved, so just add a new post when you finish converting a section, And I will make a list. I apologize if this isn't the most organized way, but in the list I will separate the submissions by who converted them, to help keep people organized.

Current helpers:
Winterkid09
Shadoninja
Ruto

And our project is in action, thanks JaMaHa!!

Converted sheets: I will only be posting the name and the game the sheets were from, credit for the actual conversion is given to our helpers. It seems that TheDekuTrombonist is doing some on his own time, so thank you :)
Phantom Hourglass:House

All sheets have been checked by me and work fine.

master_gamer38

I don't think you understand JaMaHa is kinda busy at the moment. Not to mention the amount of editing and hard coding that would have to be done, would probably take a ton of work that HE would have to do, since it's all backend work. You can't just sit down, and add in that in 50 seconds. (Okay, well, if the source code was really nice you could change the output, but then uploading all of those files would be hell.)

Being realistic, this won't be able to happen. At least not for a long time.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Winter

It's worth trying, and the only way to do it is to work together, and I was hoping you could send me comments in a message. Yes it's going to take work, but no more that's not already done, I have experience in coding, and JaMaHa wouldn't have to do anything but pass it off to me. Like I said, If people participate, the project will work out and eventually be a reality, why make it wait?

We would probably have a good amount of sheets by the time JaMaHa has time to help, (winter hopefully)

Also If these are not uploaded, this will be a reference page for users who need PDF's immediately. In other words, A list.

Mind if we get that post removed mastergamer? i will then delete this post, so that we can reserve spots for those who are converting.

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Ruto

I will too.

SAMPLE POSTED:

[PDF] Ocarina of Time: Serenade of Water
Version uploaded by DT sometime between 10/30/09 and 2/18/10.
[PDF] Phantom Hourglass: House
Minor changes in the formatting of the sheet, such as an updated website, expression. One of the few files I can edit with Allegro, kept original file creation dates/arranger. Edited MUS

-------------------------------------------------
Given info follows:
Title:Left as the dl'd file's, which is simply "SerenadeofWater.mus"
Author:PianoMan (original arranger)
Creation date: Date of DT's "proposition" post: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=1443.msg44410#msg44410, in the forum's standard time, which is -1GMT I think. I used the October date, objections?
Modified date: When PDF was created, this probably doesn't matter as much, but it's in my time zone, EST
Subject: The game title
Keywords: (Left blank for sanity)

Changes to this info would need the entire PDF to be recreated from the correct sheet.  If that happens, please delete the old pdf from your desktop, mediafire and the old mediafire link.

-------------------------------------------------

To minimize the work for the converters, only sheets that follow the "How should your sheet look" should probably be converted (what shado said). This doesn't seem to be a big issue at first, but then some of the websites listed in the bottom of some sheets need to be corrected  :D (Can you add that to the first post, WK?)

@Master-gamer (this is a rather informal project, more details here  ;))

I'll have some samples done this weekend hopefully.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

HugoMeister

Quote from: winterkid09 on October 27, 2010, 10:06:17 PMI have experience in coding, and JaMaHa wouldn't have to do anything but pass it off to me.

No.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Winter

@HugoMeister   Thanks for the input, I was referring for permissions to add the sheets.

HugoMeister

Haha if you think he's going to give you FTP or Source Code access, you're sadly mistaken.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Winter

Its worth a shot, and also doesn't have to be me. It's just a goal okay?

Sir Awesomesauce

Conceptually, it's a great idea. It would be terrific if it was implemented. But I really don't believe that's going to happen. You're not the first person to make a topic with a good idea for helping NSM. It's just that the people capable of making it happen are busy, and will probably stay busy for quite a while.
You should read my post, it's probably above this.

master_gamer38

Quote from: winterkid09 on October 27, 2010, 10:06:17 PMIt's worth trying, and the only way to do it is to work together, and I was hoping you could send me comments in a message. Yes it's going to take work, but no more that's not already done, I have experience in coding, and JaMaHa wouldn't have to do anything but pass it off to me. Like I said, If people participate, the project will work out and eventually be a reality, why make it wait?

We would probably have a good amount of sheets by the time JaMaHa has time to help, (winter hopefully)

Also If these are not uploaded, this will be a reference page for users who need PDF's immediately. In other words, A list.

Mind if we get that post removed mastergamer? i will then delete this post, so that we can reserve spots for those who are converting.

..... BAHAHAHAHAHAH! You don't realize how much coding would need to be done. And JaMaHa would have to do it himself, because you obviously don't realize what coding would need to be done. You can't just go and say, oh hay, "PDF HERE!" using a little of HTML. The majority of code written wouldn't even appear to anyone except for JaMaHa. You don't understand how complex it is to design a dynamic website. Having PDFs is a good idea, but the practicality of changing the site over at this point... Yeah right. It'd do better with a complete redesign, and that takes a long time. I've yet to complete a website, and I've been working for almost two years. (Not that it has been dedicated work, but it's been from scratch.)

Quote from: Ruto on October 27, 2010, 10:30:28 PMI will too.

To minimize the work for the converters, only sheets that follow the "How should your sheet look" should probably be converted (what shado said). This doesn't seem to be a big issue at first, but then some of the websites listed in the bottom of some sheets need to be corrected  :D (Can you add that to the first post, WK?)

@Master-gamer (this is a rather informal project, more details here  ;))

I'll have some samples done this weekend hopefully.

Before the sheets get made into PDFs, they should be fixed first. I'd say at least 75% of the sheets on NSM need to be redone, because they are horribly transcribed and in some cases, directly copied from INCORRECT midis.

Of course, you all could put in all the work turning the crappy sheets into pdfs, and then they'll never be put on the site because there wouldn't be time to do it.

Not to mention all the people that view a bad sheet and assume that the rest of the sheets are bad as well. To be completely honest, this place is one of my last resorts for finding sheet music.

So, if you all want to sit and do work, then do work that has a chance at being useful.

Ruto

Quote from: Sir Awesomesauce on October 27, 2010, 11:05:46 PMConceptually, it's a great idea. It would be terrific if it was implemented. But I really don't believe that's going to happen. You're not the first person to make a topic with a good idea for helping NSM. It's just that the people capable of making it happen are busy, and will probably stay busy for quite a while.

It's going to stay as an informal thing for quite a while I think.***  by which I mean strictly a forum post. It certainly doesn't hurt, since creating a pdf takes a few seconds. Since this also makes for some serious sheet combing, it might help the fixing sheets project too...TBH, I notice a bunch of odd things on sheets, wrong website, typo, wrong notes. I've starting counting the times when Saria's telling me, "this note should be flat", "it's not the right key". When someone who looks like she's in primary school tells you that, it's embarrassing.

***If you like, get someone who has permission somewhere in the news/facebook to say "HEY EVERYBODY! Here are some sheets in PDF! *links to forum post*"

I'd like to see how this turns out, though. Some optimism wouldn't hurt.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Winter

Quote from: Ruto on October 27, 2010, 11:26:27 PMI'd like to see how this turns out, though. Some optimism wouldn't hurt.

Thank you

master_gamer38

Quote from: Ruto on October 27, 2010, 11:26:27 PMIt's going to stay as an informal thing for quite a while I think.***  by which I mean strictly a forum post. It certainly doesn't hurt, since creating a pdf takes a few seconds. Since this also makes for some serious sheet combing, it might help the fixing sheets project too...TBH, I notice a bunch of odd things on sheets, wrong website, typo, wrong notes. I've starting counting the times when Saria's telling me, "this note should be flat", "it's not the right key". When someone who looks like she's in primary school tells you that, it's embarrassing.

***If you like, get someone who has permission somewhere in the news/facebook to say "HEY EVERYBODY! Here are some sheets in PDF! *links to forum post*"

I'd like to see how this turns out, though. Some optimism wouldn't hurt.

There are so many things wrong with these sheets. Lets take two sheets for an example. One and Two. Let's guess which one is from NSM. Yeah, which one would you rather read?

Cobraroll

I think it's a great initiative, this. I know that adding sheet music to the site the proper way is a lot of work. But, there's a but:

Uploading files to the server itself isn't that hard. If, and I say if, The One With Access To The Source Code (may his connection never fail) approves this project, we can do with a 50% solution: Upload the .pdfs to the server, and have the links here. I know it's not the best way to do it, but the by far easiest without having to redesign a whole lot of code (and some graphics). This way, we can provide .pdfs while we still work on a way to implement it to the main site.

Oh, and I completely agree with prioritizing the properly done sheets before we start converting all of them. A bad sheet is at best a rough sketch, something a skilled pianist can work further on. A copy of a bad sheet is a waste of bytes.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.