News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Guys, so that Czech Philharmonic concert I was talking about ended up being AWESOME the day we actually had tickets for. First piece was Mozart's piano concerto in Bb KV 595, and the soloist (Lars Vogt) KILLED it. And oh my god, the subito fortes in the second movement were absurd. It's like getting hit with a wall of sound.

And the second piece I'd never heard before; it was Symphonic Rhapsody from Strauss's 'Elektra', and it was an initiative of the conductor's (Manfred Honeck) from last year, created by Tomas Ille. I can't really say whether or not it did the original opera justice, but HOLY SHIT THAT WAS SO GOOD. The Mozart concerto was great and all, but from the very beginning of this piece, the brass just had my jaw dropping. It was just such a thick texture, and it explored such beautiful depths of chaos (for lack of a better way to describe it). My only qualm is that since this arrangement is so new, my chances of finding it on IMSLP to analyze are rather slim :/

Waddle Bro

Quote from: DrP on January 30, 2015, 07:56:29 PMWell, from everyone I know who lives in Scandinavia, go Nordea. I am not entirely sure about Finland, but my Nordea account can hold both Euros and US Dollars (I think it's specific or something). It might cost you something (but my cousin's fiancé works for Nordea in DK, so it's free for me).

Also if you need help planning a trip, I can gladly help. I just finished planning a trip on the East Coast for my friends from Lithuania who will be here for 2 weeks (and I will be joining them!)
Yea I already have an account in Nordea that I don't have the rights to, but that should change in a week or couple!
And I'll gladly take you up on that offer after I have some kind of a plan thought out(but I have no rush for that yet, as I plan to make the trip in about two years!) Like what kind budget I'm gonna have to work with, what music festivals and states I'm gonna go to, how long can I stay, etc.

on another topic, I'm really excited to get a poi and start practicing, I have like the perfect playlist for practicing already :]

DrP

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 31, 2015, 10:07:43 AMAnd I'll gladly take you up on that offer after I have some kind of a plan thought out(but I have no rush for that yet, as I plan to make the trip in about two years!) Like what kind budget I'm gonna have to work with, what music festivals and states I'm gonna go to, how long can I stay, etc.

on another topic, I'm really excited to get a poi and start practicing, I have like the perfect playlist for practicing already :]
I highly suggest Cochella. I went my senior year of high school and it was AMAZING.
I'm going to Bottlerock this year at the end of May (probably just a day though).

and whenever someone says poi, I always think of pancakes first. But I've seen it at some EDM stuff and it looked ridiculously cool!

SuperFireKirby

Pffff screw Coachella, Bonnaroo's where it's at! I've gone the past 2 years and I must say, it's the most wonderful place on Earth. Hence why I'm going again this year.

BONNAROO!

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

DrP

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 31, 2015, 10:57:32 AMPffff screw Coachella, Bonnaroo's where it's at! I've gone the past 2 years and I must say, it's the most wonderful place on Earth. Hence why I'm going again this year.

BONNAROO!
It's all the way in Tennessee. Whereas Cochella was 2 hours from my house.

I can't wait for Outside Lands this year!!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: DrP on January 31, 2015, 10:41:50 AMI highly suggest Cochella. I went my senior year of high school and it was AMAZING.
I knowww, I'm really familiar with a good majority of the EDM festivals, but my graduation would be on like the first day of June or something, so the timing would be poor for Coachella!

psa: if you go to coachella this year go check out porter robinson

SuperFireKirby

Ooo Outside Lands looks fantastic. And

Btw Woodle, Bonnaroo is in mid-June. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

Do they ever put poi balls on fire
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

but tennessee ew there's like nothing else there
The lineup is decent for this year, and Zedd played there last year so I guess it's a nice mediocre-sized festival by the looks of it
Tbh I'd go there this year just to catch Deadmau5 playing, but artists like Odesza are really worth hearing too.

But hellz to tha yea I'd go if you go

DrP

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 31, 2015, 12:50:03 PMOoo Outside Lands looks fantastic. And

Btw Woodle, Bonnaroo is in mid-June. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES.
Basically, everyone takes over Golden Gate Park. I missed it this year because I was busy at work and couldnt get away for a day.

This year I plan on doing it. Also, since Bottlerock falls on the same weekend as my birthday, I'm going! (However the lineup on my actual birthday is kind of meh. Friday is the best: Imagine Dragons, Cage the Elephant, Foster the People and the Mowgli's.) The benefit of Bottlerock is since it's in Napa, they will have wine flowing all over.

and even if I wanted to go to Bonnaroo this year, I can't because I'll be in Atlanta that week for business.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 31, 2015, 01:17:28 PMDo they ever put poi balls on fire
Yeah, it's called fire poi. It's basically fire spinning, but poi.

Also, Roo is liek the 2nd biggest festival in the country after Coachella. Mediocre-sized my butt. The lineup isn't quite as impressive(or as big) this year as years past, but it's hiphop selection this year is impeccable(Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Atmosphere), and there's some pretty good electronic acts, namely Deadmau5, Odesza, and Tycho(Flume's pretty coll too).

But I will absolutely be there.

Waddle Bro

Oh sorry, I accidentally judged the size as mediocre! I meant to say the lineup is mediocre. herpaderp.

also i adore deadmau5, would abandon jesus over him any day the man is brilliant

mikey

I HAVE A QUOTE IN SOMEONE'S SIGNATURE
BUCKET LIST ITEM COMPLETE
unmotivated

DrP

So apparently they're filming the new Steve Jobs movie at De Anza College this week. (Yay internal emails!)

I work 2 blocks from there.

The traffic is going to be SHIT.

Maybe I'll run into Kate Winslet at the Starbucks nearby!

EDIT: Also, apparently Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill were in San Francisco today. I just missed the 11th Doctor, Amy and Rory!

Ruto

They film movies near where I went to school all the time and I never see anyone famous xD But someone saw Helen Mirren riding the subway today so maybe I just don't recognize people at all.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.