News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 22, 2013, 08:34:30 PMCather in the Rye > all

That's my favorite book. Nobody else likes it though :(
...I haven't read it yet, but my older brother seems to strongly dislike it. He says that Holden Caulfield is a very unsympathetic character (saying something to the effect of that he almost 'tries' to be bad, if I am not mistaken??), and (I quote): "People tend to overanalyze it [the book], along other books. There's a point when reading between the lines leads to absolute nonsense."
As I said, I have not read the book yet, so I shall wait to pass judgement myself.

Another way he summarizes Holden is this:
:P

Quote from: Zunawe on February 22, 2013, 09:00:48 PM1984 is my favorite. We have everything. I also really liked Of Mice and Men.
I haven't read Nineteen Eighty-Four yet, but I've read Of Mice and Men about twice now, and it is good (additionally, containing important messages for society, then and now).

Animal Farm is another good book by George Orwell, and I've read it a few times as well.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SlowPokemon

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 22, 2013, 09:14:23 PM...I haven't read it yet, but my older brother seems to strongly dislike it. He says that Holden Caulfield is a very unsympathetic character (saying something to the effect of that he almost 'tries' to be bad, if I am not mistaken??), and (I quote): "People tend to overanalyze it [the book], along other books. There's a point when reading between the lines leads to absolute nonsense."
As I said, I have not read the book yet, so I shall wait to pass judgement myself.

Holden is an extremely sympathetic character; I think exactly like he does. He never does anything bad so idk how he could "try" to be bad. And yeah I don't think anyone overanalyzes it. There's nothing to overanalyze.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Zunawe

There's so much symbolism going on in Catcher that
1. people start to think that there can't be that much symbolism, so they doubt the validity.
- or -
2. people begin to analyze the smallest of things and find something that may or may not have been actually put in there.

Also, I loved Animal Farm. I am more equal than you!
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

BlackDragonSlayer

Hmmm, well...

Relating to the topic of books we like/dislike, am I the only one who really strongly dislikes Robinson Crusoe? Maybe I should read it again (considering that I never finished because I felt it was such a boring book...), but I almost dread the thought.

EDIT: The reason being:
From the full title (:P), you can understand one of the reasons why I feel it is boring: many of the sentences in the book drag on and on and on, even more than I am now, and usually do with my sentences when I put a lot of thought into them; they're completely frivolous and rarely do much other than provide extreme descriptions of things that only foward the plot a very small amount, if even in such miniscule ways.
For reference, I read until around the part where Cruesoe rescues Friday, before I could bear no more.

Full Title
(The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pirates.)
[close]
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Mashi

1984 changed my life and it is the greatest book I've ever read.

In regard to Catcher in the Rye; I can see why people are distasteful of it, but I'm not so sure that its figurative nature is in question.  It's difficult to find meaning in a book, and it's nearly impossible to make up meaning in a book (English students everywhere seem to be failing to do this, after all!).  I found Holden to be a distasteful character, to be honest, but he was very pitiable.  He was paranoid, cynical, stubborn, and a bit eccentric.  And with a mind like that, it's no wonder why his demeanour was so surly.  Do his characteristics justify his unhappy disposition?  No, but it gives good insight towards why he acts in such a way.

MaestroUGC

I have some big plans for 1984. It is my most favorite novel, so much so that I intend on doing something musical with it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Yugi

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 23, 2013, 12:01:24 AMI have some big plans for 1984. It is my most favorite novel, so much so that I intend on doing something musical with it.
Make a TWG on it.

KefkaticFanatic

If you like dystopian novels you should read Brave New World because it is fantastic and a staple.

me irl
[close]

blueflower999

I just finished reading Of Mice and Men! What a depressing book.  :(
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Brave New World...not terrible at least.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 23, 2013, 06:31:17 AMBrave New World...not terrible at least.

O_O

I HAVE NO MEMORY OF POSTING THIS

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Yugi on February 23, 2013, 12:39:57 AMMake a TWG on it.
I did, it was the first game I ever made.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Bubbles

Today wasn't exactly an ideal day to go to NYC, but I did anyway. I went to the Nintendo store and bought 3 Pokemon plushies :D (They're so much more expensive there than at your regular store like Target, and I feel like some of them are even cheaper quality). Then we went on this crazy bus tour called "The Ride" and messed with people outside of the bus

I want to live in the city so bad

Mashi

[11:22:55 PM] Daniel: "Today wasn't exactly an ideal day to go to NYC"
[11:22:56 PM] Daniel: WHAT
[11:22:57 PM] Daniel: WHAT
[11:22:58 PM] Daniel: WHAT
[11:22:58 PM] Daniel: WHA
[11:23:00 PM] Daniel: WHAT
[11:23:00 PM] Daniel: WHAT
[11:23:02 PM] Daniel: WHAWFHEIOAWFTHOAWIR

THANKS FOR INFORMING, RUTO, SARIA, AND ME.