News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Arranging tricks or tips?

Started by DonValentino, July 21, 2011, 04:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Well, I´m just curious about how other people here arrange.
For example, sometimes, I use Transcribe! when I get stuck in a song, a program similar to Audacity. I also train my ear with Notecard almost every day. At first, you don´t see any better, but when you train one/two weeks, arranging is a bit easier.
So... Do you use any program for helping you arrange? Any tip that makes your arrangements look better in Finale? Reply! :)

Bloop

...I use nothing, actually. Maybe I use mario paint composer sometimes if I'm on the computer in the room without my keyboard :P

Greg

I just mess with the channels of the piece in Windows Media Player to bring out certain parts.

Clanker37

I listen to a song and try to match it up with other songs. It's quite a poor way, but it works for me, though it can get annoying. Stupid McDonalds ad, sounding like Freezeezy Peak!

Brassman388

No programs.

The trick is to use your ears and a keyboard. Familiarize yourself visually of what a keyboard looks like in your head. Learn the theory, remember what it looks like on the keyboard, what it looks like on paper and most of all what it sounds like. The one most important trick I will never forget is; everything (and I mean almost everything) derives from the bass line. Once you figure that out, you revolve around the chord that the bass is set in.

For example; Lets take the Song of Storms from Legend of Zelda. It starts out on a D minor chord then ascends to an E minor then to an F major then back down. After it does that a few times, the main line comes in. Notice that the main line consists of first two notes of the chord straight off not including the octave D it hits. The second section is an imitation of the A minor chord and so on and so on. 

Well, Media Player is good for slowing down to hear the top lines. That's really about the only thing it's good for.

I cannot stress how important theory is, though. It'll save you loads of time and arranging is a snap.

Dudeman

Meh, perfect pitch is all I use. All my arrangements are done note-by-note.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Sekter77

I learn everything by ear by playing along with a slowed down version of the song (I use Audacity) on either a keyboard or my guitar. Unfortunately, chords can sometimes be a bit tricky to figure out using this method because I don't have a well-trained ear yet and I don't have perfect pitch.

But I will agree with Brassman that theory is really important. Knowing which accidentals to use, how to spell chords, and also what harmonizes with the different parts is very important and makes things a lot easier. That's also something that comes with practice and I know I'm not exact with it either.
Guitar and video games.

Kimmel

What helps me a lot is music theory.
If you now how chord progessions work or how the composer composed the melody then it is much easier to figure out the right notes.
But in order to do that, you have to learn music theory...
Or you have awesome ears and very much talent, but there aren't many people who have them...
Sorry for my English ^.^

DonValentino

OK, so resuming: I´m the only weirdo who trains his ear with a (crappy  :P) program because my teacher recommended it... Well, it works for me!  :) Of course, when arranging, the note-by-note is my method (did you know you actually CAN transform mp3 into MIDI? Nothing important, but I heard that there´s a program that makes that  :o), sometimes helped by Transcribe!.
Thanks for all the comments!  ;D

Brassman388

Quote from: Dudeman on July 21, 2011, 10:43:27 AMMeh, perfect pitch is all I use.

We're talking strategies, not natural talent.

Also, I've wasted too much time on the Mp3 to midi trick for it to benefit me. I highly suggest you don't use it. As for your programs. to each his own.

Shadoninja

For ear arrangements, I use audacity to record a section of a song and slow it down.
For midi, i sometimes use flstudio because sometimes it's easier to edit in it's piano roll than finale's simple entry.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Did you all start out arranging with these methods? I'm interested in starting to arrange instead of being a dead-weight requester on ninsheet, but I don't exactly have experience. How did you guys get to where you are now?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

fabbemannen

I have barely got any better since I started, so no point in asking about that.

I only make sheets for 3 reasons:
1. I know how to play a certain song and got a request on it personally (youtube or real-life)
2. I'm making an original song
3. I'm fixing up a remix/song someone else did and it's to complicated to make in mixcraft directly

I've stopped completely to arrange songs I don't know myself for no particular reasons (good that you people still is going strong though)

Greg

I'm taking my Advanced Harmony exam this summer.

Yes theory is VERY important. Makes things much faster.

Cobraroll

^Sorry if I offend you, but that exam sounds extremely hippie.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.