News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

SOPA???

Started by NintendoPianoGirl, January 25, 2012, 04:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoPianoGirl

If the SOPA law passes, will NinSheetMusic be affected?
I was basically raised by Nintendo.

K-NiGhT

I dont think it ended up passing...maybe i'm wrong.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

Bespinben

Whether it passes or not, the topic still brings up a good question - would it affect Ninsheetmusic?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

K-NiGhT

kinda scary...but i don't think it's even constitutional...it seems to me like it would go against someone's freedom of speech.

NintendoPianoGirl

I personally think its a dumb idea. If it did happen to pass the intenet would pretty much become useless. I don't think it will or did end up passing.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

blueflower999

Has PIPA been voted on yet?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

MassiveMayhem

Nothing happend, nothing is going to happen
Arrangement Project? It's a maybe.

spitllama

'cept Canada liked it so now they're going to steal our idea
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

NintendoPianoGirl

Quote from: spitllama on January 25, 2012, 05:36:34 PM'cept Canada liked it so now they're going to steal our idea

Canada liked what?

Wrydryn

SOPA and PIPA have been pulled out as of now. Probably going to get reviewed and rewritten or tacked onto another bill and slip in under the radar.
Don't forget about ACTA too, it's a big law as well that's a danger to the internet.

As to answer the original question: Yes NSM would be effected by SOPA, the sheet music is one thing but the forums would absolutely kill us. With MassiveMayhem's picture there, I believe that would be enough to kill NSM because, well it's Superman.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Wrydryn on January 25, 2012, 06:09:53 PMWith MassiveMayhem's picture there, I believe that would be enough to kill NSM because, well it's Superman.
Way to go, MassiveMayhem. You've doomed us all.

Kidding...

Wrydryn

Kidding or not xk, that's just an example. My sig can kill us too. Basically if it's protected by copyright law and somewhere without permission you're done for.

K-NiGhT

Well then we've all doomed each other.

Cobraroll

Calm down. If Nintendo wanted to take us down before, they could do it already. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they regard fansites on the Internet as free marketing. When there are thousands of site out there discussing your products, would you want to take them away?

This goes for pretty much any company. As long as they don't encourage giving your products away for free (PirateBay, MegaUpload), or openly hate it (half of all Twilight sites out there) they boost your reputation in a way no marketing campaign ever could.

Though, if "Take it down because it infringes copyright"-requests could be filed by anybody, and not just the copyright holder, under SOPA, then we'd have a problem. Trolls would put any site they could get their slimy fingers on down within days. It's far too easy to register to a site, post a lengthy excerpt from a book, and then run over to the ISP and demand that the site should be pulled down "because somebody posted all of Harry Potter there without asking"

Though, for NinSheetMusic, all we would have to do would be getting the site registered in Europe. Remember, the law is only American, and invoking the powers of ACTA just to pull down a "free marketing!" site would be too much of a hassle.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.