News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Olimar12345's Arrangements! (890 Total) 10 New Sheets (Pikmin!)

Started by Olimar12345, June 27, 2012, 12:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

New arrangement:

[GB] - Donkey Kong Land III
-Factory Stages [MUS] [Midi] [PDF] [NEW]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

New arrangement:

[NES] - EarthBound Beginnings
-Snowman [MUS] [Midi] [PDF] [NEW]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

[N64] - Donkey Kong 64
-Jungle Japes (Mine Cart) [MUS] [Midi] [PDF] [NEW]

Thanks to PDS for the help with this one. You're the man, man!

WaluigiTime64

I was going to do this one, but I was too lazy to figure out Measures 48-67. Amazing work on this one!

You should really get the note values in the main melody checked out. Example: Measures 13, 14, 15 and 18 have full quarter notes, although the original song only plays 8th notes. Maybe either put staccatos, portatos, or just change the notes to 8th notes. The song sounds a bit strange with the notes connected, so I think doing that will really give a more frantic feel to the arrangement (or something, I'm just saying that it sounds wierd and should be fixed lol).

Again, good job! (to you and PDS)
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

I completely disagree. Those note values are definitely full and not shorter than I have notated. I think you are interpreting the trumpet sound's "attacks" or "articulation" as short when really it is just "defined." Being a brass player primarily, if something like this was intended to be shorter, it would be a whole lot more noticeable.

Tobbeh99

Nice Done!

-M.1: I'd notate that as a trill. It sounds more like one, and notating it as 16th's makes it harder to read. I understand that you might think that the timing is important as it is in both hands and therefore has notated it as 16ths, but I think people will figure that out even if it's a trill.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 21, 2016, 11:34:26 PMI was going to do this one, but I was too lazy to figure out Measures 48-67. Amazing work on this one!

You should really get the note values in the main melody checked out. Example: Measures 13, 14, 15 and 18 have full quarter notes, although the original song only plays 8th notes. Maybe either put staccatos, portatos, or just change the notes to 8th notes. The song sounds a bit strange with the notes connected, so I think doing that will really give a more frantic feel to the arrangement (or something, I'm just saying that it sounds wierd and should be fixed lol).

Again, good job! (to you and PDS)

Y, I'd make pretty much the entire melody as portato, if it was my arrangement. But articulations are kind of subjective and Olimar's isn't far-fetched at all. In fact, if you consider all notes without any articulations as portato, it's pretty pretty similar to what you said. It depends how you interpret the notes without articulations, as legato/tenuto or as portato.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

Thanks Tobbeh.

About the trill: I wrote it out because it was in time exacts with the sixteenth notes AND synchronized with the LH. While writing a whole note with a trill above it could could produce a similar result, it is more ambiguous and I would prefer just simply writing exactly what I want the performer to do.

Also, all of this talk about a need for adding articulations makes me think I'm talking to Robert Sheldon lol.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 22, 2016, 04:36:32 AMI completely disagree. Those note values are definitely full and not shorter than I have notated. I think you are interpreting the trumpet sound's "attacks" or "articulation" as short when really it is just "defined." Being a brass player primarily, if something like this was intended to be shorter, it would be a whole lot more noticeable.
I guess my point comes from 2 things:

1. This is a N64 soundfont. Having messed around with this particular soundfont myself, I know that you have to make the note lengths shorter to sound like this, otherwise it's a definite legato.

2. When the strings join in for the melody, they also don't play at full note lengths (unless this is the same principle lol)

I dunno at this point. I've been playing this game for quite a long time and I've always heard them as detached. In fact, most of the trumpets in DK64 are detached, often because legato trumpet isn't a great thing for fast songs, especially this one. You can pretty easily tell where it is legato and where it isn't, so that's why I'm bringing these particular notes up. I kinda cringed a bit when I heard those notes connected, because I really didn't expect it. I'm not sure though, I mean, I hardly know how trumpets even work lol.

Ew, big block of text. Short version: Your arrangement does not reflect how I've heard the song for ~10 years. There are definitely points where the trumpets are legato, and this should be expressed properly.
For some reason I think arguing at 3 in the morning is a good idea...
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

Yeah, no. If anything, I was considering adding "marcato" above the part where the trumpet comes in, but decided against it. From my experience as not only a musician, but one that specializes in the field of brass wind instruments, none of that sounds short. (And lol at the "I've heard this song for ~10 years" comment. If we're going to throw around schoolyard-level credentials, I might as well pitch in that I am seemingly nine years older than you xD )

Bespinben

I don't think Waluigi was trying to be disingenuous with his comments. In fact, I think his first point about the behavior of virtual instruments inside a DAW is probably the most compelling point he has. That said, perhaps the question we should ask is, is the sound itself the composer's intent, or the data inside the piano roll of a DAW? If the former, then Olimar's probably right. If the latter, then Waluigi.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Obviously the output is of the greatest importance; why would the composer's invisible intent be more important than the end result? If the conposer's intent greatly differs from the output in an unintentional way then that shows just how shitty of a composer they are. It's like the old question of "what's more important: the quality of the breath a trumpet player takes before playing, or the quality of the sound he makes with it?" While obviously the quality of one's breath is of great importance when preparing to play, it's ultimately what you do with it that matters more. You could take the fullest, deepest, richest breath ever and still produce a shit sound if you don't use your air correctly. And no one goes to the symphony to hear the winds breathe lmao.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Bespinben on August 22, 2016, 09:27:55 PMI don't think Waluigi was trying to be disingenuous with his comments. In fact, I think his first point about the behavior of virtual instruments inside a DAW is probably the most compelling point he has. That said, perhaps the question we should ask is, is the sound itself the composer's intent, or the data inside the piano roll of a DAW? If the former, then Olimar's probably right. If the latter, then Waluigi.
I'd normally err on the side of what people hear when they listen to the soundtrack. With that being said, sometimes things get really blurry given the complete behaviour of the virtual instruments in the song and/or the notation software I use:
  • Due to the limitations of Shovel Knight's music (must be on a .nsf, 900 Hz basis, etc.), several trills (especially at quarter note = 180 bpm) have their notes in 3:2 ratios. At that point, I treat trills as if they consist of 32nd notes instead.
  • As if fixing Meta Knight's theme (from Kirby Super Star) isn't hard enough, Musescore won't let me make a tuplet that crosses a barline (for the section of the theme that's a bunch of G's straight). I'm not sure that Finale will let me either.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 22, 2016, 10:13:16 AMhow I've heard the song for ~10 years.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 22, 2016, 10:13:16 AMFor some reason I think arguing at 3 in the morning is a good idea...
See, this is why you don't argue at 3 in the morning. I should tell myself that more often.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 22, 2016, 06:05:45 AMIt depends how you interpret the notes without articulations, as legato/tenuto or as portato.
I think the argument is winding back to this. I'd say this is our best bet, no more need to argue, end of story.
Watch the argument kick back in lol.

Quote from: Bespinben on August 22, 2016, 09:27:55 PMI don't think Waluigi was trying to be disingenuous with his comments.
Yeah. Tone is really hard to display through text. Either way, I'm definitely not going to think that you have less brass knowledge than I do. I literally said that "I hardly know how trumpets even work lol". It was the soundfont thing that was my concern.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 22, 2016, 09:52:15 PMAs if fixing Meta Knight's theme (from Kirby Super Star) isn't hard enough, Musescore won't let me make a tuplet that crosses a barline (for the section of the theme that's a bunch of G's straight). I'm not sure that Finale will let me either.
Uh, I don't know if that's even correct notation. If so, I've yet to see it.

Hopefully the argument will now end as "it's too debatable to come to a conclusion". The only way it would be solved would be to literally ASK GRANT KIRKHOPE, which I don't think any of us are going to do. We'll use what Olimar has already written, since it's his arrangement.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 22, 2016, 11:41:15 PMHopefully the argument will now end as "it's too debatable to come to a conclusion". The only way it would be solved would be to literally ASK GRANT KIRKHOPE, which I don't think any of us are going to do. We'll use what Olimar has already written, since it's his arrangement.

Worth noting is that the arranger usually has the final word when it comes to these kinds of "details", since it's very subjective at times. Sometimes you might even say that "it sounds like this in the song but I've chosen x articulation because it sounds better on the piano", which just shows how hard and complex it can be. So unless it's very clear what the articulations articulations should be, it's usually up the arranger. Different arrangers also have different approaches to articulations, some use a lot, others barely use any.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

New (and overdue):

[PC] - Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari)
-Plant [MUS] [Midi] [PDF] [NEW]