Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

I'm a devoted ZUNist.

Kman96

Quote from: Dude on September 07, 2012, 10:20:42 AMI'm a devoted ZUNist.

Is that like for people who worship Zunawe?
Party Hard!
[close]

FSM-Reapr

I spent this evening watching Legend of Korra.

I'm an Amonist now.

SuperFireKirby

blahblahblahBENDERSblahblahblahEQUALITYblahblahblahBENDERS

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ruto

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Cobraroll

Like most of the northern-European people who have posted in this thread, I'm an atheist. Grew up in a Christian - though largely secularized - environment (my family's stance on religion seems to be that it's a nice tradition, but no big deal really), and just after my Confirmation I took some time to consider my stance on religion and decided that no, I don't believe in the supernatural.

Anyway, that's enough about me. Let's talk about Arceism!

Arceism (its followers, had there been any, would be known as Arceists) is the religion that one can see traces of in the Pokémon games. It is hard to pin down whether it's a deist or polytheist religion. Its formal teaching is that life is sacred and should be valued. Prayer is not neccessary, but it's nice to sit down and think things through every once in a while.

"When joy and enjoyment come natural as the very air, that is happiness" - The Sinnoh Myth

The mythology of Arceism:
In the beginning, there was only chaos and turmoil. At the heart of Chaos, an Egg appeared. From that Egg, the Creator, Arceus, was hatched.
Out of itself, Arceus made two other beings: Time and Space. A third being was made, but vanished away unseen. Time and Space - or Dialga and Palkia, as they are known - brought order to Chaos. The third being preserved Chaos in a separate dimension of its own creation. Now with a room to contain it, Willpower, Emotions and Knowledge were created, contained in a single Egg the Creator Arceus made. The Universe now created, Arceus made its Hall of Origin and went to sleep there, never to be heard of since.

From there on, Time and Space were busy. At some point, the five Beings (it's unclear whether the sixth took part in it) created life. Life went on on its own, and at some point, Earth was created.

Life on Earth began when the beings of Land, Sea and Sky were born. Sky had the entire Z-axis to itself, while Land and Sea were confined to the surface and began fighting over areas. Titanic volcanoes rose from the ocean, while giant tsunamis reclaimed land to the sea. Intense sunlight scorched the land, while torrential rain made the seas even wetter. The planet was a chaos of magma and stormy sea when Sky put an end to the fighting. Land and Sea went to sleep in ancient caves far beneath the surface, while Sky began roaming the atmosphere. At some point, another being pulled the continents into place, while the ancestor of all Pokémon (save for the few who were already created) settled to colonize the planet. Other Life was also thriving beside the Pokémon, and the ecosystem is still going strong.

At least, that's what happened in the Pokémon world.

However, many believe that Land, Sky and Sea were sent to chosen planets to form the basis for life, and that their presence is what made some planets habitable. Far from all planets are, so something special might have happened to the lucky few. Perhaps our own planet has been formed, like a kneaded dough, by beings of Land, Sea and Sky? If so, they are still sleeping somewhere, far below the surface.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Cobraroll on September 08, 2012, 11:24:40 AMLike most of the northern-European people who have posted in this thread, I'm an atheist.
If you're referring to me, I'm just letting you know; I'm not an atheist. I do believe in God, but I'm not a member of the church anymore. That means I have no official religion. I can't say that I'm a Christian anymore, but I do believe the same stuff as Christians.(hard to explain)

the_last_sheikah

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on September 08, 2012, 11:33:26 AMI do believe in God, but I'm not a member of the church anymore. That means I have no official religion. I can't say that I'm a Christian anymore, but I do believe the same stuff as Christians.(hard to explain)
So, you're Agnostic?
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

FSM-Reapr

No. I'm not Agnostic. I don't believe AT ALL that God wouldn't be real. I'm exactly like any other Christian, I'm just not part of the church. Agnosticism means that I'd believe in God, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be sure is God real or not.

Mashi

I'm not sure if there's an exact word, but I think that calling yourself Monotheistic and part of Disorganised Religion would be descriptive enough in your case.  You could also say that you follow Christian practices but simply aren't part of the Church too, I suppose.

SuperFireKirby

Agnosticism is the belief that the existence of God cannot be proved or disproved.

FSM-Reapr seems to be describing himself as a non-affiliated Christian, which is a christian that does not associate themselves with any organized church.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on September 08, 2012, 01:00:31 PMAgnosticism is the belief that the existence of God cannot be proved or disproved.

FSM-Reapr seems to be describing himself as a non-affiliated Christian, which is a christian that does not associate themselves with any organized church.
You are perfectly right.

But I have to write in my (ex.) health insurance: "Religion: Not a member of any religion"

Ruto

Quote from: Jamaha on September 06, 2012, 12:10:46 AMThe biggest difference belonging to a church has had on me after the confirmation (at age 15) was in the military. Those who belong to the church swear an oath before the almighty and all-knowing god and those who don't give an affirmation by their honor and conscience. Also chaplain's lectures and services in the field.

That's pretty interesting...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Bubbles

How to tell you probably dont believe your own religion: When people say "shes in a better place" it just makes you angry