News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

Noc, please troll elsewhere.

Altissimo

dude to be fair he is actually making this less of a shitfest

Dude

But mlf isn't even here right now so the less activity, the better.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I won't actually comment, but instead post the actual rules.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on May 19, 2016, 04:45:00 PM- "What's this 'Spam' I keep hearing about? It sounds delicious." Spam, otherwise known as garbage or s***-posting, are posts that do not contribute to the conversation at hand."
 - "How do I know if I'm spamming?" Simple, does your post meet these requirements?
 - Am I actively contributing to the conversation? Can someone respond to what I'm saying? One word responses or posts that don't contain a coherent thought are not contributions to the discussion.
what is shitpost

mikey

as word police I result that seabass shall be victor of wordfight: vanguard until the wheel turns and the new age begins henceforth and forever amen
unmotivated

Dudeman

Come now, Noc. Let's not dig ourselves deeper.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

blue sends his regards
Spoiler

vote bernie
[close]
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 04:26:08 PMThere is no such thing as a bigoted opinion. There are only bigoted people who can't tolerate others' opinion. Being against abortion is not a bigoted or hateful opinion. If anything, it's the opposite of that, but that is beside the point. My point is, calling other peoples' opinions "bigoted" is a very hypocritical statement.
Shall we review the definition:

'Bigot'
"A person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions."
Again, there is no such thing as a bigoted opinion. It's very simple to understand. You are either for something or against something. Neither view is bigoted. Take abortion for example. Johnny is for abortion and Susie is against abortion. Which one is bigoted? Neither. Because it is an opinion.

'Opinion'
"A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

I think the lesson we can learn here is to respect each others' opinions.

As dude pointed out, that's not the definition of a bigot. If you wish to play semantics, I'm bigoted against people with bigoted opinions.

Groups of people inherently deserve respect. Being prejudiced against people based on their skin color, sexual orientation, religon or lack thereof etc. is bigotry. Opinions do no deserve that same respect, otherwise science and progress would never get anywhere because we'd have to concede that the KKK is entitled to their opinion and that teaching photosynthesis is being inconsiderate towards people who believe is magical plant faries.

Disclaimer: I don't think being against abortion is bigoted.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Pianist Da Sootopolis

The upper 1% in this country has over 70% of the chickens. We must stop the reckless behavior of the mega farmers on Animal Farm.
what is shitpost

Ruto

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 19, 2016, 04:59:46 PMblue sends his regards
Spoiler

vote bernie
[close]

he said he ragequit but now I see he's lurking

if he is:

haha
[close]

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

he's not a lurker, he has a skype
duh
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: Dude on May 19, 2016, 04:33:40 PMExample of a bigoted opinion: "Black people are horrible because they are different from me."

Also that definition isn't even right lol

Full Definition of bigot
:  a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially :  one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
I would have to agree with this definition, but I don't know if I agree that racists are bigots. I'll explain below.

Quote from: FireArrow on May 19, 2016, 05:02:12 PMAs dude pointed out, that's not the definition of a bigot. If you wish to play semantics, I'm bigoted against people with bigoted opinions.
lol.....I guess Google should update that then.
Spoiler
[close]

Quote from: FireArrow on May 19, 2016, 05:02:12 PMGroups of people inherently deserve respect. Being prejudiced against people based on their skin color, sexual orientation, religon or lack thereof etc. is bigotry. Opinions do no deserve that same respect, otherwise science and progress would never get anywhere because we'd have to concede that the KKK is entitled to their opinion and that teaching photosynthesis is being inconsiderate towards people who believe is magical plant faries.
I would have to agree with you here. Personally, I don't see prejudices against people based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion, etc. as bigotry. I see it more as just plain cruelty.....if I may be perfectly honest. If you're gonna hate on someone that has a different skin color, religion (lack thereof), etc. then you're just being cruel and/or rude. I wouldn't call it bigotry though; however, I do think that peoples' opinions should be respected.....as long as they aren't openly racist, discriminating, etc.

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 19, 2016, 04:38:43 PMSo, since there's no such thing as a bigoted opinion, I take it you don't think the KKK or Neo Nazis are bigots?
Again, I don't think I'd call them bigots. Just plain malicious and cruel.

The Ku Klux Klan was really just a stupid secret society advocating only white people. I don't know if I'd call this bigoted since they didn't go out saying "I don't agree with other white people who think black people are equal to us!!" But instead they openly and actively suppressed African-Americans. I wouldn't call this act bigotry, but cruelty.

Similarly to the KKK, the Neo-Nazis were racist. Extremely racist. They also acted radically.

Personally, I've always believed that bigots were just big talkers who were all talk and didn't act on their opinions and were intolerant toward others opinions.....even rude and prejudice. I wouldn't put the Nazis and KKK in that category, but rather in the category of cruelty and self-righteousness.

That's just my opinion and I respect anyone that doesn't agree with me :P

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 19, 2016, 05:48:27 PMhe's not a lurker, he has a skype
duh
hi

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PMI would have to agree with you here. Personally, I don't see prejudices against people based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion, etc. as bigotry. If you're gonna hate on someone that has a different skin color, religion (lack thereof), etc. then you're just being cruel and/or rude. I wouldn't call it bigotry though; however, I do think that peoples' opinions should be respected.....as long as they aren't openly racist, discriminating, etc.
Sebastian cmon you're flipping your position faster than Donald Trump
what is shitpost

FireArrow

Being a bigot is not mutually exclusive with being cruel and malicous. And generally google is the least reliable source for definitions.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 19, 2016, 05:58:58 PMSebastian cmon you're flipping your position faster than Donald Trump
I don't follow.

Quote from: FireArrow on May 19, 2016, 06:00:17 PMBeing a bigot is not mutually exclusive with being cruel and malicious.
Well, sure. I see what you mean.

Quote from: FireArrow on May 19, 2016, 06:00:17 PMAnd generally google is the least reliable source for definitions.
Good to know for the future xD