News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Pokemon Showdown!

Started by FSM-Reapr, November 02, 2012, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

They're very gimmicky, though. Non-gimmicky lower tier pokemon would be destroyed in OU if not handled well.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

blueflower999

True, but I've swept entire teams with them before if I get a little lucky.

Although I suppose luck isn't always on my side.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

Quote from: TV Tropesbecause the Tiers list Smogon popularized was made specifically so that players can use their favorite Pokémon without getting steamrolled by every ten-year-old who disregards that advice and just packs their team with Game Breakers.

blueflower999

If they're truly game breaking, they should be put in Ubers or banned entirely.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Echo

tiers dun exist

jk

Quote from: Nebbles on July 06, 2013, 06:17:10 PMBut why would you put NU/UU pokemon on an OU team? From a competitive standpoint, you generally don't mix tiers....

Like, if you want to use NU/UU pokemon, why not make a team of them? In non competitive it doesn't matter, but if you're seriously battling pokemon, you can't ignore stuff like that.

The thing is, tiers in Pokemon are based on usage. Low tier Pokemon aren't necessarily bad, they just don't serve roles that fit for as many teams as other Pokemon. That doesn't mean that they can't serve their own niches though.

Like, Wobbuffet isn't Uber, but with supportive skills like Shadow Tag and Encore, he makes for a great setup Pokemon in the Ubers tier for the likes of Blaziken or Arceus. I'm not very familiar with OU this gen, but I don't think Azumarill is an OU Pokemon, yet his access to Huge Power + Aqua Jet lets him become a threat to some common OU Pokemon like Volcarona or Terrakion.

Or maybe look at Double Battles. Say you want an Electric-type that serves as a Light Screener, and you narrow down your choices to Raikou and Luxray. They can both serve the role well, with similar movepools for the job, with Light Screen and Snarl being the most notable moves. Raikou is more common to see thanks to its better overall stats, but Luxray is unique in that he also has Intimidate. By using Luxray's Screen + Snarl to block Special Attacks, and by having other Intimidate users on your team to stack Attack drops (and abusing Volt Switch on Luxray to swap to them repeatedly), you have a solid defensive core for both Physical and Special Attacks. In contrast, Raikou only protects on the Special side, so Luxray has a niche over Raikou, despite their similarities for the role.

So basically, low tier and uncommon Pokemon can have their uses in high-level play if they're used to serve unique niches. So when starting a team, using your favourites is viable in a team-based game like Pokemon, as long as you ask yourself "What can this Pokemon do, that others can't?" And then when it comes to deciding on the rest of your team, you shouldn't restrict yourself to just Pokemon in the same tier, but instead identify what specific role you need to strengthen your team, then narrow your search from there.

But I haven't played competitively since Gen 3, so my team-building philosophies might be outdated. >_>

Yugi

blueflower999

Anyone up for a Random/OU/Hackmons battle?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

blueflower999

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-38260649

Me beating Yugi. I guess I'm not all that terrible after all.  :)
Bulbear! Blueflower999

FireArrow

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on July 06, 2013, 06:13:51 PMI fail to see what you mean by this.

I'm sorry - to me is looked like Waddle was implying the Yugi was making an idiotic mistake by putting non OU pokemon on his team. Echo's post sums up my thoughts (though he says it much better than I ever could.)

----------------------

Edit:

Cinccino too stronk: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-38388357
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Waddle Bro

Quote from: FireArrow on July 06, 2013, 09:20:38 PMI'm sorry - to me is looked like Waddle was implying the Yugi was making an idiotic mistake by putting non OU pokemon on his team. Echo's post sums up my thoughts (though he says it much better than I ever could.)
It wasn't an idiotic mistake, I was just interested since you see those in an OU team very rarely.

FireArrow

Quote from: Waddle Bro on July 07, 2013, 09:59:54 PMIt wasn't an idiotic mistake, I was just interested since you see those in an OU team very rarely.

Ugh, sorry, reading it over, it was a lot less rude then I originally thought (For some reason I thought you were laughing at him.) Misunderstandings suck - and I'm REALLY sorry. That being said, we did get a good discussion out of it.  8)
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

blueflower999

I'm actually really enjoying Hackmons and I'm doing quite well at it. I'm actually fairly close to getting into the top 100 for the site. ^_^

Does anyone here play Hackmons that would like to battle me? I assure you it's a ton of fun if you've never tried it.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

K-NiGhT

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-38809420

clutch considering he destroyed me the first two times

dat spiritomb
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*