Pokemon Showdown!

Started by FSM-Reapr, November 02, 2012, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 02, 2013, 04:44:10 AMThe thing why Charizard is NU, is because Drought isn't allowed until OU, and Charizard isn't that used in OU teams because of the SR(idk why I said ST before). Sunny Day teams are shit.

The problem is that drought isn't that good - rain is OP and popular as shit, so pokemon reliant on sunny whether aren't gonna fare well in OU.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Waddle Bro

Drought is really good, excuse you. Drizzle is more popular, but it doesn't mean that Drought would suck. >.>

Also rain isn't OP, it's just OP to those who don't know how to deal with it.

FireArrow

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 02, 2013, 10:10:43 PMDrought is really good, excuse you. Drizzle is more popular, but it doesn't mean that Drought would suck. >.>

Also rain isn't OP, it's just OP to those who don't know how to deal with it.

Let me rephrase this: rain counters sun, rain is really popular. It's not important whether drought is good by itself or not, it simply isn't well equipped for the current metagame (not that's it's an unviable strategy.)

Waddle Bro

Actually, sun is a good counter against rain teams.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with someone who doesn't have three years of experience from competitive battling.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 02, 2013, 10:45:36 PMActually, sun is a good counter against rain teams.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with someone who doesn't have three years of experience from competitive battling.
And vice versa. Remember that rain teams have water-types to counter fire-types (I'm having another Captain Obvious moment O_o) and ice-types to counter grass-types and dragon-types (and these are just a few examples).
In terms of weather starters, I would say that Politoed is superior to Ninetales: although Ninetales can have Energy Ball or Solar Beam (Energy Ball is better in some cases, especially if Politoed switches in on the turn you select Solar Beam), it doesn't get STAB, and, if Politoed and Ninetales switch in on the same turn, Politoed will have the weather advantage.

It's not impossible to make a good sun team to counter rain, but, as FireArrow said, with the prominence and variety of rain teams in OU, it's quite difficult to.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Yugi

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 02, 2013, 10:45:36 PMActually, sun is a good counter against rain teams.

Experience =/= Skill/Knowledge

FireArrow

I've been at this for 3-4 years as well if you wanna pull the experience card. ._.

BDS is pretty accurate, so I'm not gonna bother saying anything more.

Yugi

FireArrow

I think a more accurate way to say that would be time =/= skill. The question is whether or not you learn from your mistakes, which is how I like to interpret the word experience.

Waddle Bro

Lets-a-fucking-go.
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on September 03, 2013, 12:04:15 AMAnd vice versa. Remember that rain teams have water-types to counter fire-types (I'm having another Captain Obvious moment O_o) and ice-types to counter grass-types and dragon-types (and these are just a few examples).
In terms of weather starters, I would say that Politoed is superior to Ninetales: although Ninetales can have Energy Ball or Solar Beam (Energy Ball is better in some cases, especially if Politoed switches in on the turn you select Solar Beam), it doesn't get STAB, and, if Politoed and Ninetales switch in on the same turn, Politoed will have the weather advantage.
That's why you preserve the Pokemon who have the weather effects, in order to beat the weather war. It'd be stupid to keep your weather Pokemon out on the field against the one who has the advantage: that's why you can't tell which weather Pokemon is the better one. Even though Rain has much more uses than Sun, Sun cripples rain teams. Because sun doesn't offer that much advantages, Sun teams are usually very flexible to build, since they only use sun to power up moves(/Chlorophyll) and to cripple rain teams. Rain teams use more of the advantages the rain offers, meaning they allow sun cripple you more than the other way around.

Experience -> Skill and Knowledge.

I play Pokemon daily, and I battle at least 5 times a week. And I disagree that Charizard isn't usable in OU/Ubers "because of the rain".

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 03, 2013, 07:29:40 AMThat's why you preserve the Pokemon who have the weather effects, in order to beat the weather war. It'd be stupid to keep your weather Pokemon out on the field against the one who has the advantage: that's why you can't tell which weather Pokemon is the better one.
And that's one advantage rain has... essentially, with rain's weather starter still alive, it usually becomes impractical to keep trying to get sun up, especially when Ninetales is at risk of taking Hydro Pumps/Surfs/etc.

QuoteEven though Rain has much more uses than Sun, Sun cripples rain teams. Because sun doesn't offer that much advantages, Sun teams are usually very flexible to build, since they only use sun to power up moves(/Chlorophyll) and to cripple rain teams. Rain teams use more of the advantages the rain offers, meaning they allow sun cripple you more than the other way around.
O_o
You're not providing facts to substantiate your argument. You say that Sun cripples rain teams, and yet rain teams also cripple sun teams very much (type advantages, Chlorophyll obviously not working in rain). The fact that rain teams can offer more advantages is what allows them to potentially cripple sun teams (especially if they have the weather advantage really close to the beginning of the battle), combined with, as I mentioned above, what they take away from sun when Rain is up (essentially, it would be impractical to send Fire-types out, and Chlorophyll sweepers don't get the speed boost they need; and, if you're using Cresselia, Moonlight doesn't heal as much).
If you're playing against somebody with a run-of-the-mill rain team, of course you're likely going to have an advantage over them... but that's not the point! :P
On a slightly different subject though, especially in Ubers, it's good to have a Pokémon on your sun team that can operate well in rain (like Thundurus, as an example).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Roz~

LOL people saying that Rain > Sun. It's like saying that Rain > Sand, which is not exactly true. I've seen Sun teams destroy Rain teams before.  Btw, Ninetales can take Hydro Pumps from Politoed in the Sun easy.
And wtf kind of argument is that? "Chlorophyll doesn't work in Rain obvs lol" Of course not, just like Swift Swim doesn't work in Sun, Sand Veil doesn't work in Rain/Sun, etc. Does that mean that, because you can't use your ability, your team sucks? Erm no. Sand teams still work without Sand Veil Garchomp. Rain teams can still own without using Swift Swimmers, etc. Saying that one team archetype is better than another one is dumb.
Seriously all I've been reading on this thread is bullshit.
Also no one uses Moonlight lol
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Waddle Bro

^And that is why Roz has earned my respect as a fellow competitive player.

I was never saying sun was better. There is no legit method to prove that which weather is better, it's all up to the players. That's why arguing why "ermahgerd rain is better than anything else" is fucking stupid.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Roz~ on September 03, 2013, 01:34:10 PMLOL people saying that Rain > Sun. It's like saying that Rain > Sand, which is not exactly true. I've seen Sun teams destroy Rain teams before.  Btw, Ninetales can take Hydro Pumps from Politoed in the Sun easy.
LOL rain boosted Hydro Pumps. :P

I never recall saying that sun teams couldn't destroy rain teams: merely that Waddle was stating an unsupported argument that, in general, sun teams are superior (more accurately, stating that sun teams ARE a good counter for rain teams, while seemingly disregarding everything that makes rain teams desirable to use in the first place).
On the subject of Rain vs. Sand, I agree that Sand can often topple rain (sand is slightly different from sun, though, because of the Sp. Def boost provided to rock-types). In Ubers, I have been crushed by many sand teams (mainly because both the opponent had both Tyranitar and Hippowdon).

QuoteAnd wtf kind of argument is that? "Chlorophyll doesn't work in Rain obvs lol" Of course not, just like Swift Swim doesn't work in Sun, Sand Veil doesn't work in Rain/Sun, etc. Does that mean that, because you can't use your ability, your team sucks? Erm no.
I don't think you understood me. Chlorophyll is often the central ability for Grass-type sun sweepers: by comparison, Swift Swim and Drizzle are banned together in OU (and Sand Veil as well?); without it, many of them (especially Venusaur) can become easy prey, without the extra Speed and Growth boosts. My point was that it's often harder to keep sunny weather up than rainy weather, which is one factor working against sun teams.

QuoteAlso no one uses Moonlight lol
Moonlight on Cresselia is generally used in defensive sets, and yes, I've seen it on sun teams before.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 03, 2013, 02:19:27 PM^And that is why Roz has earned my respect as a fellow competitive player.

I was never saying sun was better. There is no legit method to prove that which weather is better, it's all up to the players. That's why arguing why "ermahgerd rain is better than anything else" is fucking stupid.
The reason why I jumped in in the first place was because you were saying that sun was "a good counter against rain teams" AND later, that "Sun cripples rain teams."

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Roz~

Sun does cripple Rain the same way Rain cripple Sun teams.
And you'd have to be a moron to fodder off your Ninetales to a Rain Boosted Hydro Pump. Jus' sayin'. And if EV'd right, Venusaur can take hits and can semi sweep in Rain, even without its speed boost/growth boosts. You don't necessarily need to rely on those to win.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.