BlackDragonSlayer

I rise from the ashes.

[PC] Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion - We Have the Beef
Original Song
MSCZ (file probably needs updating)

[GEN] Mega Turrican - The Machine
Original Song
MSCZ
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

wariopiano

Hi! Nice arrngment.
i suggest u should put a pdf and mid.
I also like that u use dropbox!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: wariopiano on November 29, 2012, 05:33:20 PMHi! Nice arrngment.
i suggest u should put a pdf and mid.
I also like that u use dropbox!
Why thank you!
The main reason I just have the MUS file is because there may be some formatting changes that are necessary.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bloop

Nice start! The song only needs a dynamic marking at the first bar. Plus, the right hand notes in bar 3 and 4 are only two whole note A's.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bloop on November 30, 2012, 04:22:40 AMNice start! The song only needs a dynamic marking at the first bar. Plus, the right hand notes in bar 3 and 4 are only two whole note A's.
I figured I'd do something small for my first arrangement. :P
I added the dynamic marking, but I'm not sure what you mean about those notes?? Are you saying that, instead of a dotted half note and a tied note (after that), I should just put two whole notes? When I tried that, I noticed a little more delay than what seemed to be present in the song itself, although it may just be harder to hear in the 8-bit song?

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bloop

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 30, 2012, 11:36:40 AMI figured I'd do something small for my first arrangement. :P
I added the dynamic marking, but I'm not sure what you mean about those notes?? Are you saying that, instead of a dotted half note and a tied note (after that), I should just put two whole notes?
Yes, indeed. I'm not really the best at explaining certain things.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayerWhen I tried that, I noticed a little more delay than what seemed to be present in the song itself, although it may just be harder to hear in the 8-bit song?
I think this is because the BPM is 150... Or something. I at least think so.

BlackDragonSlayer

N-n-n-necrobump!!! Betcha didn't have this on your 2022 bingo card! ;) :P

So yesterday I was on the forums, and I started skimming through some of my most recent posts. I quickly happened upon a request I made last year, and upon seeing that poor, lonely request being left unfulfilled, I flew into what can be described as "righteous fury." After listening to the song over and over again, I realized what I had to do: I went into "fine, I'll do it myself" mode.

So here we are!

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion - We Have the Beef
Original Song
MSCZ

Probably still needs some work, especially because it's still only a MuseScore file for now (using Xiao's template btw).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

XiaoMigros

I forgot I had made that template...

Skimming over this I found a few small things that could improve the sheets visual aesthetic and playability, as well as some note changes:
  • For the LH pattern, it's quite hard to discern but I think something along the lines of this would be more accurate:
    Spoiler
    You cannot view this attachment.
    [close]
  • The ottavas don't have to be stopped and started each measure, you can have a continuous one from start to end. (MuseScore tip: Right click on one, then select -> all similar elements and then delete them to save a few dozen clicks).
  • I think adding a key signature of 3 flats would make sense, it's not a perfect fit accidental wise but this sounds like C minor to me
  • The RH part of m9-16 is too much of a stretch to play, to fix this you could either omit some notes or move them up/down an octave. If you want to preserve the repeating pattern and have the melody, you could consider moving the pattern to the LH, for example.
  • Having 4 measures per system spaces things out more evenly, and fills more of the empty space on page 2. Something like this:
    Spoiler
    [close]
Nice work!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 25, 2022, 04:41:30 AMI forgot I had made that template...
this thread is sponsored by: forgetting things :P

QuoteSkimming over this I found a few small things that could improve the sheets visual aesthetic and playability, as well as some note changes:
  • For the LH pattern, it's quite hard to discern but I think something along the lines of this would be more accurate:
    Spoiler
    [close]
I'll wait for more feedback on this before releasing the WIP 2, but I imagine you're probably right.

• The ottavas don't have to be stopped and started each measure, you can have a continuous one from start to end. (MuseScore tip: Right click on one, then select -> all similar elements and then delete them to save a few dozen clicks).
  • Having 4 measures per system spaces things out more evenly, and fills more of the empty space on page 2. Something like this:
    Spoiler
    [close]
Shows how much I know about MuseScore. :P Thanks for the tip!!!

• I think adding a key signature of 3 flats would make sense, it's not a perfect fit accidental wise but this sounds like C minor to me
Will do! I noticed the number of flats in the piece, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to add a key signature (and if so, which one).

• The RH part of m9-16 is too much of a stretch to play, to fix this you could either omit some notes or move them up/down an octave. If you want to preserve the repeating pattern and have the melody, you could consider moving the pattern to the LH, for example.
I haven't touched a piano in a years so you can definitely tell I went for accuracy over playability. :P I feel like the whole of the RH part is more important than the LH part, so I'll probably move the pattern to the LH instead. Just to double-check, this would mean getting rid of the LH part that's currently there, yeah?

Thanks for the feedback!

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

XiaoMigros

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on September 25, 2022, 06:38:33 PMJust to double-check, this would mean getting rid of the LH part that's currently there, yeah?
Yep, that's right! I tend to have the same issue with prioritising accuracy too much..

BlackDragonSlayer

I am an arrangement machine fueled by pure anger and determination

[GEN] Mega Turrican - The Machine
Original Song
MSCZ

Copyright and composer information taken from the game's credits. The composer is sometimes known as Chris Huelsbeck, but he goes by Hülsbeck in the game's credits. The song name is taken from the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology that was released by the composer. As a funny side note, Turrican 3 (which is basically the Amiga version of Mega Turrican) does not use this song for the final boss, but instead uses this song for a random boss in one of the earlier stages (Super Turrican also reuses a lot of songs from Mega Turrican/Turrican 3, but I'm not certain if this song appears there—especially because you don't actually fight The Machine).

To be honest, the LH part from measure 13 onward is basically guesswork—that part of the song is very difficult to hear because it's quieter or more obscured than the rest of the song. I'm not certain about a lot of it, but I made the best approximation of the notes and rhythm that I could. Also, I'm like 95% certain there is a ritardando at the end (the song does sound like the final few notes are slower, and that's the only way I could get the repeat to match up properly), but I'm not sure if I placed it at the correct spot/used the correct adjusted tempos.

If you told me a year ago that I would be able to arrange this song in a matter of days, I would've laughed at you.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

i have returned

[GEN] Mega Turrican - Stage 3-4
Original Song
MSCZ

Like the previous arrangement, copyright and composer information taken from the game's credits. All the other relevant information in that post applies as well here.

This is among my favorite stage themes from the game, aside from the Stage 1 themes, the other Stage 3 themes (especially 3-1* and 3-3), and the Stage 5 theme. They're all pretty great though. :D

I feel like the last 4 measures of the arrangement could be improved a bit, but other than that I'm happy with what I have to start with here! It was surprisingly difficult to try and find the proper articulations to capture the feel of the song, and I'm sure there's still a bit that could be improved.

*side note: if I remember correctly, 3-1 (known as "Air Combat" in Turrican 3) is the composer's favorite Turrican track. It's a pretty rockin' track. I remember hearing that Traps from Turrican 2 is another one of his favorites.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber