The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Discussion Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, January 06, 2013, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashi

That episode was hilarious despite my knowing the background, water u taking abowt.  It was a great contrast in mood too, in that it reminded us of the brighter side of Melancholy.

And although I concur with the sentiment that broadcast order is most enjoyable to some (I actually initially watched it broadcast order and loved it), others may prefer chronological order because it makes logical sense (Ninja'd: See, SlowPokemon is one of those rational others!!!).  And in order to keep Bubbles7689's interest, I think chronological order is our safest bet!

SlowPokemon

In my opinion broadcast order is something like a novelty that you can go back and experience later--I can't imagine how many people were turned off to the series due to the strange timeline.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

Well, I suppose you guys can do what you want. I didn't even like the sigh that much so I think it is stupid to group that genius episode with those episodes. So I think for optimal enjoyment, it should be watched first, but some people have different opinions. Bubbles, do what you want! It is a good episode regardless!
Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 26, 2013, 07:16:44 AMIn my opinion broadcast order is something like a novelty that you can go back and experience later--I can't imagine how many people were turned off to the series due to the strange timeline.
There's no way anyone could get turned off by The Melancholy.
Birdo for Smash

Mashi

Don't worry, I wasn't one of them, SlowPokemon!!!
I think part of the reason I retained enjoyment was because I did all of Season 1 in one go, however, so I think you're correct in why it may detract from experience; it certainly would be irksome to have to wait a week to learn that whatever mystery you were thinking of won't be resolved until much later!  Not everyone can be so (dare I say, unnecessarily) patient.  I usually tell people to watch in broadcast order for that reason.

SlowPokemon

If both seasons were aired simultaneously, I would air them in chronological order with Endless Eight aired every other week. ::) Or something like that.

Waddle Bro

lmao Imagine if they aired everything in chronological order, one Endless Eight episode/week. EVERYBODY will watch every episode, so they wouldn't miss anything. They have no idea that it will go on for two months.
XD I can understand why people are so pissed off by EE. :P

Waddle Bro

also slow my fav episode was totes endless eight part five i cant find it in the poll

Mashi

Hahahaha, Waddle Bro. :P

And that sounds like it would be an excellent idea, SlowPokemon.  If only you were there to suggest it though. :(

SlowPokemon

The second episode of Endless Eight is the best because Kyon is too sexy for his shirt in the intro and Koizumi is legit sexy

Mashi

idk what youre all talking about endless eight part six was so amazing i really felt emotionally touched by the dramatic way the plot progressed

Bubbles

That was probably the most drastic turn of events in any tv show I've ever watched XD

And why did episode 6 end like it was the season finale?

Kman96

Because that's where the plot ends and the delicious frivolity begins.
Party Hard!
[close]

SlowPokemon

Not quite. There are other arcs that have plots as well.

Mashi

The broadcast order is out of sequence because it's more of a stream of consciousness.  Melancholy is actually a series of Kyon's flashbacks (hence why it's sometimes called Kyon's order).  Melancholy Part VI is a good dramatic end to Season 1 (though, out of chronology), whereas Someday in the Rain is more thought-provoking and more peaceful.  Both have merits as a finale, but for whatever reason, the director chose Part VI as an ending for broadcast order.  Someday in the Rain is the finale chronologically for Season 1.

SlowPokemon

Actually, it's chronologically the finale of the series ::) besides Disappearance of course.