The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Discussion Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, January 06, 2013, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I posted all of the poll's winners in the first post. Going to start doing that from now on.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

What? No one likes Island Syndrome except for me?  ???
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Jompa

Oh my god I just realized something as I was re-watching the series just now!!! :D
Something I discovered in episode 4
Episode 4 is the episode where Kyon gets Ryoko's letter about meeting in the classroom later that night.
But before that, he goes to the clubroom, right? :D
Nagato is there, and so is Haruhi.
So he stands at the window and thinks about the letter and Haruhi is sitting at the computer, tryng to upload the pictures of Mikuru, but Kyon stops her.
As he is supposed to delete them, he just puts them in his own hidden folder, right?
And the second he saves the pictures there Haruhi gets up, and start walking out of the clubroom.

I think she realized that Kyon saved the photos, realizing that he likes Mikuru, and getting sad over it
because..:

When Haruhi is about to walk out the door, she is met by Mikuru.

Now, we don't see her face, but Mikuru does, and if you pay attention - Mikuru is very surprised to see Haruhi's face!
Haruhi leaves.
Mikuru asks if something happened, but Kyon denies it.

It is somewhat obvious that Haruhi was crying, or at least almost crying, here!!

Some time later, Koizumi comes by to say that he can't come today, and that he has to go to work(!).

What is Koizumi's work?
Kyon ask this too.

And we do know the answer.

Other than being a spy for his organization to keep an eye on Haruhi, he also has to take care of the Shinjins (or whatever they're called), right?! :D

So the reason Koizumi couldn't come to the clubroom was because Haruhi was sad and created a shinjin! :D

Melancholy, you clever sausage.
[close]
Birdo for Smash

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

Jompa

Ok, so I keep watching right.. ;)
...and I discover something cool in episode 5 as well..
So Haruhi talk with Kyon about the baseball game, with amazing soundtrack in the background, and we all know the story, so I wont quote the thing..

Anyways, she gets sad, duh.

And right before Kyon gets home, he meet with Koizumi, who wants to show him something.

And we all know this is about Koizumi wanting to show Kyon proof that he's really an esper.
And he now has the opportunity, since a shinjin has appeared(!)

Aaaaah, so the reason the shinjin appeared is because Haruhi got sad after telling the story to Kyon, aaaah.. :D

Damn, Kyon you sure know how to make Haruhi depressed..
[close]

And this is unimportant stuff about something completely different..
I know that no one here has watched White Album, but I just realized that Kyon's house is almost identical to Mana's house in White Album.
But no one cares about that..
[close]
Birdo for Smash

MaestroUGC

I had some time before work today, thanks to my last class being cancelled, so I watched The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I-VI.

It is a curious show, relying greatly on meta-humour and an audience familiar with Manga and Anime tropes. Upon a first galnce, the show unfolded in a predictable manner, with the first series ending the logical conclusion that it set up for itself.

The supernatural elements are fair, but largely ancillary to the High-School comedy that is the show's premise. After ruminating on the first six episodes, I have come to the conclusion that this show was a great labour of love and care. I admire that in any work of art, but the substance isn't enough to drive me to complete the show.

A fair amount of the comedy was crude, and rather pandering to the shows audience, which I believe wasn't for adults in any capacity. I can understand why people here greatly admire the show, it's quirky and weird and sends a general message that says "It's okay to want more out of life, it's okay for people to not understand you, so go be special."

I expect a great deal out of movies and television these days, I find myself generally enjoy comedies less and prefering dramas more, favoring writing and plot over jokes and errors. This show, while it does have some decent dramatic moments, just doesn't deliver for me as much as I'd like, and the jokes fall flat. The plot is something I do enjoy, as I enjoy good science-fiction which is where this show resides, but it hasn't been enough to particularly impress me.

Final thoughts on The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I-VI: Fair.

I might check out the rest later, but it's not high on my "To-Do List".
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Jompa

You have good points Maestro, but I don't think too greatly of reviewing a show you haven't finished. It leaves your statements without support, as you haven't even experienced the main plot yet, and your points would only apply to the little fraction of what you've seen so far, anyways.
But I do admire you for watching 6 episodes before giving up - I don't think I could've done that with a show I didn't like.
Birdo for Smash

MaestroUGC

I never said I gave up, nor did I say I didn't like it. It just didn't impress me. That's just where I had to stop before it was time to hop back onto the train of life.

I realize that I've only sratched the surface, but I figured I share my initial impressions of the show. The show was fair, I might pick it back up later, it just wasn't enough for me to keep going at my next break in resposibilites.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Yep you're absolutely correct, Maestro. I feel that the first six episodes are an interesting entity but honestly they aren't among my favorites of the series. My hope is that you stick it out and continue watching, but I appreciate you giving the show a fair chance if you do decide to quit for a while.

The thing is, somewhere along the series the viewer starts to love it. I just can't figure out where exactly because t seems to range anywhere from episode 4 to the Disappearance film. I've yet to find anyone who's seen all of it and doesn't include it among their favorites.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 26, 2013, 02:33:03 PMThe thing is, somewhere along the series the viewer starts to love it. I just can't figure out where exactly because t seems to range anywhere from episode 4 to the Disappearance film. I've yet to find anyone who's seen all of it and doesn't include it among their favorites.
Does it have to be a specific place?
It is a damn good show, (deny it if you want,) you just start liking it when your mind is ready to accept that it is awesome.
For me, it was when I first heard Kyon's narrating. The sexy voice of Crispin Freeman had me hooked from the start.
Birdo for Smash

Mashi

I was in love with Melancholy before realising it even existed. B)
Because Lucky Star.

And you should totes watch more, MaestroUGC!!!  It's the type of show that only becomes better (and then crashes down at Endless Eight for some) and then crashes up tenfold afterwards!!!

Jompa

But Lucky Star isn't nearly as good ;)

Five episodes of the Endless Eight could just be skipped, though.. If it's like a last option or something. We all know it's just the exact same thing.. You could even just watch the second Endless Eight six times, wouldn't make a difference.
You would miss out on the OST though!
The OST is great. It actually makes it barely worth it!

Something else:
Youtube link <-- Is that "Itsumo no Fuukei" Kyon's sister is humming to at 6:30?
Birdo for Smash

Bubbles

Quote from: Jompa on March 26, 2013, 12:40:53 PMOh my god I just realized something as I was re-watching the series just now!!! :D
Something I discovered in episode 4
Episode 4 is the episode where Kyon gets Ryoko's letter about meeting in the classroom later that night.
But before that, he goes to the clubroom, right? :D
Nagato is there, and so is Haruhi.
So he stands at the window and thinks about the letter and Haruhi is sitting at the computer, tryng to upload the pictures of Mikuru, but Kyon stops her.
As he is supposed to delete them, he just puts them in his own hidden folder, right?
And the second he saves the pictures there Haruhi gets up, and start walking out of the clubroom.

I think she realized that Kyon saved the photos, realizing that he likes Mikuru, and getting sad over it
because..:

When Haruhi is about to walk out the door, she is met by Mikuru.

Now, we don't see her face, but Mikuru does, and if you pay attention - Mikuru is very surprised to see Haruhi's face!
Haruhi leaves.
Mikuru asks if something happened, but Kyon denies it.

It is somewhat obvious that Haruhi was crying, or at least almost crying, here!!

Some time later, Koizumi comes by to say that he can't come today, and that he has to go to work(!).

What is Koizumi's work?
Kyon ask this too.

And we do know the answer.

Other than being a spy for his organization to keep an eye on Haruhi, he also has to take care of the Shinjins (or whatever they're called), right?! :D

So the reason Koizumi couldn't come to the clubroom was because Haruhi was sad and created a shinjin! :D

Melancholy, you clever sausage.
[close]

I don't think she was sad because she saw that Kyon saved the pictures and felt rejected. It was more of a "he got the better of me" thing, and for once she didn't get her way. Since shes Haruhi, she throws a fit whenever something doesn't go as she wanted it to.

Jompa

But that's nothing to start crying over.
We can agree that "Haruhi loves Kyon" is a rather strong theme in the series, and I think this was an example of that,
but that's just me.
Birdo for Smash