News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

What are you listening to right now?

Started by Ricky, January 30, 2013, 09:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I am seriously *addicted* to this track. It's so catchy. If anyone listens to it and likes it, check out "Wonderful Dead 005" which is basically a catchier arrangement with cool percussion and rhythm.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

AwesomeYears

Sebastian

Latios212

Oh hey I should look into this song and sheet more it sounds nice :P

No surprise here :3
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Just a bit of Chopin to wind down..
Then tomorrow I'm going on another Thalberg binge. Maybe some Scriabin after that.
what is shitpost

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

InsigTurtle

Jompa

I need help solving a bit of a mystery.
Listen to the music in these three videos:
This first one is an example of how the Norwegian TV-channel TV 2 Zebra uses this music to pass the time between comercials and shows. Out of these three examples, TV 2 Zebra used this music first (this has been their jingle for many years):
TV 2 Zebra
It's set to start at 0:14.
[close]
This second one is from the OST of the Japanese anime Mirai Nikki:
Mirai Nikki
[close]
This third one is an exerpt from the Japanese anime Sword Art Online. Out of these three examples, this is the most recent one - however, this track is nowhere to be found in the OST:
SAO
It's set to start at 15:13.
[close]
As you can hear, eventhough the tracks aren't identical, that weird ostinat is the exact same thing, and it can't be a coincidence. How the hell is this possible?! Has anyone heard this music before in any other media, or does anyone know what it actually is?!
Birdo for Smash

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Jompa on October 09, 2015, 03:26:39 AMListen to the music in these three videos:

As you can hear, eventhough the tracks aren't identical, that weird ostinat is the exact same thing, and it can't be a coincidence. How the hell is this possible?! Has anyone heard this music before in any other media, or does anyone know what it actually is?!
The SAO video just got taken down, so I don't know how similar/dissimilar it is.

However, speaking from a purely statistical standpoint: with so much music being produced on a global scale for different mediums, and how music in general is created in a manner that has only a finite number of possibilities, I'd say it's at least somewhat likely that something like this could happen. The melody of each song is also very simple, going in series of three with only the last note differing (it's actually D ->F ->C, D->F->D, D->F->E). I wouldn't be surprised that two people came up with that melody independently.

Did a composer in Japan happen to notice a melody from a Norwegian TV station and decide to make a full song out of it? Maybe. But I think there's enough evidence to suggest that it's just pure coincidence. Plus, cases like this do happen quite a bit. Take Kelly Clarkson's recent song "Heartbeat Song" (0:55) and compare it to Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle" (0:33). Heck, you can probably search for "suspiciously similar songs" and find hundreds of other examples. But, I digress.

...though I will admit that SAO being similar to Mirai Nikki is probably a little bit more than just pure coincidence.

Jompa

You have a point there ofc, but in this case, these three versions of the music uses the exact same ostinat, in the same key, in the same tempo, using the same synth-ish sound font - basically, it is 100% the same, so I can't see how this can be a coincidence.
There's pretty much no way two animes stole this from a Norwegian TV channel, so my guess is that it's stolen from something else prior to this even. But what makes this weird is how these three tracks aren't the exact same, apart from that ostinat (though they are still very similar).
(The SAO video is still up for me btw)
Birdo for Smash