News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 20, 2015, 05:50:09 PMYou're correct. F Major
Cool, thanks. The first 15 seconds or so is hard to tell the time signature, but I'm just going to write it in 4/4 for now.
what is shitpost

InsigTurtle

The first part seems to be based on G major. It appears to do a few nice modulations before landing in F major for the rest of it.

Sebastian

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 20, 2015, 08:18:35 PMThe first part seems to be based on G major. It appears to do a few nice modulations before landing in F major for the rest of it.
I was getting that vibe too

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 20, 2015, 08:20:47 PMI was getting that vibe too
As was I when I started arranging it. It's fun to arrange because now I'm also learning directly how compositions are structured
what is shitpost

Jompa

It begins in G-major, then goes to C-major, then there is a small part in Eb-major, before a long-lasting dominant chord to F-marjo appears (in other words: it's F-major here), and then it lands in F-major at about the halfway point of the song and stays there all the way through.
Birdo for Smash

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Jompa on June 22, 2015, 06:08:52 AMIt begins in G-major, then goes to C-major, then there is a small part in Eb-major, before a long-lasting dominant chord to F-marjo appears (in other words: it's F-major here), and then it lands in F-major at about the halfway point of the song and stays there all the way through.
Agreed. I notated it as B flat for my purposes, but I may well change it anyways (it goes on long enough to mandate a key sig change IMO)
what is shitpost

Tobbeh99

I suck at hearing chords, and I need to know the chords for this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SWsTx5R4w

Would be really nice if anyone helped me out, or even just a part of the song.

Edit: Here's a version of what I guess that the chords are. But I'm far from sure. Also, don't mind the melody or that the LH only consists of bass notes, I'll finish this once I have the chords down.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

^ You seem pretty accurate with the chords. I could be wrong though, I'm a newbie arranger.
This feels like cut time or common time (equivalent time sigs anyways, I can always change it later if one turns out to be "better" for notation than the other) and C minor. Though with that e blues riff that was in Pyrite building, too..
what is shitpost

Tobbeh99

I'd say common time, the percussion makes it feel like a 4/4 to me. 
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Jompa

@Tobbeh99

It's mostly not wrong, but some chords are wrong:
In measure#8: the chords are not B - E, it's Bm7 - Dmaj/E.
In measure#9: it's not just an F#m, it's F#sus - F#m.
In measure#12: the chords are not B - E, it's Bm7 - Gmaj (and the bass tone is a G).
In measure#13: it's not F#sus - F#m, it's just a measure-long F#sus. In the next measure (#14) this is resolved into a F# (not F#m).
Birdo for Smash

Tobbeh99

Oh, thanks a lot Jompa! :) Now I'll continue with finishing the song. :)

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Going to bed now, maybe I'll think of what it is in the morning.
The second theme seems to be in B major, though I could be wrong about.
what is shitpost

Sebastian

G Minor for the first 30 or so seconds and I think it changes to G Major or C Major.....