News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Here's a mockup of the bassline:
Spoiler
[close]

I whipped up an MUS file as well for you to look at in case you need to hear the notes as well:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134076008/Helps/zelda%20wondering.mus
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nitro Indigo

I don't have any software that can open a .mus file. Still, thanks for the baseline.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on April 03, 2016, 12:32:51 AMI don't have any software that can open a .mus file. Still, thanks for the baseline.

You should definitely download Notepad even if it's just so you can play .mus files. Tbh, that's its only redeeming feature :P
There's always free trials of Finale's 3 paid products too, those'll get you a good season of use which sounds like way more than you need

Nitro Indigo

I've been putting the baseline into FL Studio. It is six repeating measures, right? Just to save me some time.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Bespinben

To be honest, the GUI of Finale is really off-putting if you're new to the program. You should definitely learn a notation software though, as it will help you develop musically. I actually started off using Sibelius, and *then* moved to Finale after discovering NSM. Lots of other people here started off with Musescore, another good (and FREE) program that is accessible to beginners.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Dudeman

Oh yeah, MuseScore is tons better than Notepad. Though am I the only one who prefers v1.3 to v2.0?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nitro Indigo

Thanks, everyone who helped me in some way or another! What did you help me make?

(Also, YouTube does this weird thing where it can't save my settings properly when I try to publish the video, so I have to go to the video's page while it's still private so I can finish the description. Help?)

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I used Noteflight for a long time and then converted XML files into Finale... Agh what a mess.
Having now gotten Finale 2014, I can say it's simultaneously the most expensive and most valuable purchase to my music career. Definitely a worthy investment, especially if you can buy a lower value package (you don't need to get 2014).
Long story short: if you can, buy a Finale product of SOME kind. It's loads better than any of the free stuff out there.
what is shitpost

Ōkami~MD

The main difference I notice from having both Finale PrintMusic (the less expensive) and Finale 2014 is that 2014 comes with Garritan sounds which cost plenty money on their own, and PrintMusic uses SoftSynth sounds which are not great.... but if you want to hear how your document sounds with Garritan you can ask someone with Finale 2014 (like me!) to run it through and make an audio file.

Also, this is probably technically illegal and do it at your own risk, but you can claim to be upgrading from a previous product and just type in a random serial code and you can get a significant discount, but it's probably not worth it for the trouble.

PrintMusic served me well until I started to write much more serious music and I needed better visualisation of how things sound etc.

Of course there are other differences but they can be found on the make music website

EDIT: I am kind of biased towards Finale because I don't like the Sibelius interface as much, that doesn't mean it isn't good, but I can't write how it compares to Finale very well.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

Bespinben

I'll put it this way -- Sibelius, at full power, is best for the orchestral copyist. Finale, at its full power, is best for the engraver preparing a sheet for publication. Different workflows for different needs.

Nitro Indigo

Eh, I decided that making sheet music probably isn't my thing. That advice could still be useful for other people, mind.

Bespinben

Noooooooo

but do give Musescore a try, if nothing else!

Nitro Indigo

I just discovered that all fonts display as Arial on PDFs on Wii U browser. Strange.

Anyhow, maybe I'll try Musescore, maybe I won't. First, I need to find the easiest thing possible that hasn't already been done... (The most basic video game songs I've ever heard are 4AM from ACNL and Memory from SPM, both of which already have sheet music on this site.)

Zeila

Pianist Da Sootopolis

A minor, with a shit ton of chromatics.
what is shitpost