News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: Site features

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

Trasdegi

Checking a revised arrangement replacement (in wich only small things like formatting / en harmonics / key changes are fixed) doesn't take long. However, I think than most people never submit an arrangement like this because its a wasted submission spot.

So here is my suggestion: Don't count the revised arrangements in the 2 per update limit. That would help with making the sheets on-site more up-to-date with formatting standards, without stealing much of the updater's time.

Maelstrom

We've considered that, and rejected it for the time being. There's no easy way to change the coding of the system to allow for this without overhauling everything, or having an updater manually add the sheet to subs for you.
For the record, this has come up numerous times before now, but hasn't happened and won't for the foreseeable future.

Trasdegi

So if we do the star-thing, maybe we can review all sheets, make an arrangement project for fixing all the easy-to-fix ones, and make a big special update with all that? That would be a way to fix all the sheets than only have formatting and/or minor issues, and without taking all submission spots for the next year

WaluigiTime64

Well, I know there was supposed to be a replacement update (I even sent two sheets in) but I don't know what's happened to that.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

Just throwing in my two cents about the whole "organize the mess" issue: I think the time that would be spent on logging the arrangements that need fixing and listing the errors that need correcting could be much better spent on actually fixing sheets. Seems silly to put so much effort into an idea like this.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Pretty sure this whole topic got derailed from the original "star system" idea two pages ago, so Olimar if that's what you're talking about then let me get this thread back on track.

We're not logging all the errors in each and every sheet on-site. We're not logging which sheets need challenge replacements vs. edit replacements vs. a simple formatting update. Heck, most of the time we'd only have to look at a couple sheets from each game.

The idea is that we go through the site and check the games that have at least one sheet--just one!--that need replacing. If we find one, then all we do is mark that the game isn't worthy of a star and move on to the next one. And if all the sheets of a game are up to current standards, then great; we can write down that it deserves a star. And that's it. (See Alti's post two pages ago for a good example.)

This data collection should in fact take very little time at all.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 22, 2017, 02:24:39 PMJust throwing in my two cents about the whole "organize the mess" issue: I think the time that would be spent on logging the arrangements that need fixing and listing the errors that need correcting could be much better spent on actually fixing sheets. Seems silly to put so much effort into an idea like this.
I guess my retort to this whole ordeal would be: "But who's actually fixing sheets to begin with?" The majority of replacement sheets have been done by individuals in their own spare time; there really hasn't been any sort of collective effort (at least, that I know of) of people trying to fix a lot of the awful sheets on site. Personally, I figure if we get some sort of chart, or table, or whatever, showing exactly which sheets need fixing, and to what extent, people will be a lot more motivated to do replacements. And also, if they actually make the sheet to begin with, they'll feel as though they have a stake in cleaning up the site. At least, that's my theory.

Like, if I'm going to be real honest, I think having a lot of those terrible sheets really puts a stain on NSM's reputation. I can only imagine how many people immediately disregarded this site after opening up one of those sheets & thinking that the rest of them were of a similar caliber. That's why I'm so adamant about getting the site cleaned up as much as possible. So c'mon guys, let's get to it!

Um, and I guess I agree with what MSF said above? He posted that while I was still writing this, so this whole post probably seems a bit tangential to the whole conversation idk

Olimar12345

@Yug I think it would be more successful to just pick a game, go through the sheets AND THEN replace them, completing the process from start to finish. Like the arrangement projects do.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Yeah, sure, that makes sense too. I'm just saying that if anyone is opposed to the system of logging all the errors on-site, then that should really have nothing to do with the implementation of the "star system." Olimar might have just been opposed to Trasdegi's idea and not my original proposition, so I'm not sure if he was actually contesting the "star system" or not. If so, then keep in mind that the whole "star system" thing has nothing to do with going through every single sheet and logging all the errors.

ninja'd:

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 22, 2017, 02:46:24 PM@Yug I think it would be more successful to just pick a game, go through the sheets AND THEN replace them, completing the process from start to finish. Like the arrangement projects do.

This is exactly the reason (one of the reasons, at least) why I proposed the original star system idea: so that we as arrangers would be more motivated to complete all the tracks from a game (the other reason being to show to visitors which games have the best-quality sheets and/or all the tracks completed). That way we can see a new, shiny gold star get added for all our hard work and effort.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Yug_Guy

Honestly, the biggest thing for me is trying to get as many arrangers as possible to try and get all the bad sheets replaced as fast as we can possible manage. If MSF's star system is the best way to get that done, then I'm all for it. If  Oli's mini-arrangement project suggestion is the best way to get that done, then I'm all for it.

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit abrasive, but I really want to start working on some sort of replacement project/table/whatever as soon as possible. So, I'm hoping we reach a consensus pretty quickly.

Olimar12345

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 22, 2017, 02:48:58 PMYeah, sure, that makes sense too. I'm just saying that if anyone is opposed to the system of logging all the errors on-site, then that should really have nothing to do with the implementation of the "star system." Olimar might have just been opposed to Trasdegi's idea and not my original proposition, so I'm not sure if he was actually contesting the "star system" or not. If so, then keep in mind that the whole "star system" thing has nothing to do with going through every single sheet and logging all the errors.

ninja'd:

This is exactly the reason (one of the reasons, at least) why I proposed the original star system idea: so that we as arrangers would be more motivated to complete all the tracks from a game (the other reason being to show to visitors which games have the best-quality sheets and/or all the tracks completed). That way we can see a new, shiny gold star get added for all our hard work and effort.

I would rather not have this "star system" on the site. That would look tacky and probably confuse visitors. May be just in a thread somewhere on the forums?

Trasdegi

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 22, 2017, 02:46:24 PM@Yug I think it would be more successful to just pick a game, go through the sheets AND THEN replace them, completing the process from start to finish. Like the arrangement projects do.

Totally agree to this. But I think than before that, we should check and put the stars on games than already have all tracks arranged and/or of good quality, like MSF said. And it wouldn't take long: if you take all games of Yug's nsm audit, you have already at least two times less games to check, and you can already give the stars to games than recently had an arrangement project too, like Undertale or DK64. So I think than checking every remaining game to see if we can put a star to them should take really little time.

And then, when we know which games have sheets to fix, we can do fixing-the-sheets arrangement project, 1 per game or even 1 per serie for small series like harvest moon or dragon quest.

mastersuperfan

Olimar12345