Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: Clanker37 on December 17, 2013, 06:40:08 AMGUITAR'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE A REAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENT\

From what I've seen, a guitar is a much more capable instrument than say, a flute. The problem is that society will label someone who can sing along with chord progressions on a guitar as a musical genius. >_>

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

MasterProX

Quote from: FireArrow on December 17, 2013, 03:55:12 PMThe problem is that society will label someone who can sing along with chord progressions on a guitar as a musical genius. >_>

THAT PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH, LIKE HOLY SHIT YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY NO IDEA—

*ahem*

Clanker37

Quote from: MasterProX on December 17, 2013, 11:30:39 PMTHAT PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH, LIKE HOLY SHIT YOU HAVE SERIOUSLY NO IDEA—

*ahem*
Yeah. That's why it's not a real instrument, because a real instrument takes skill.

Nebbles

...am the only one here who likes guitars? :( I'm teaching myself to play and everything...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

KefkaticFanatic

I very much like the sound of acoustic guitar, especially classical guitar.

me irl
[close]

GaryOak

Quote from: FireArrow on December 17, 2013, 03:55:12 PMFrom what I've seen, a guitar is a much more capable instrument than say, a flute. The problem is that society will label someone who can sing along with chord progressions on a guitar as a musical genius. >_>
Quote from: Clanker37 on December 17, 2013, 11:53:11 PMYeah. That's why it's not a real instrument, because a real instrument takes skill.

Wouldn't it be better to blame the society then? Like always.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

FierceDeity

Quote from: Clanker37 on December 17, 2013, 11:53:11 PMYeah. That's why it's not a real instrument, because a real instrument takes skill.

So much wrong.
So very much wrong.
So much wrong I can't even handle it.

You can find people who are horrible at any instrument, but that doesn't make it any less musical. I don't see you calling piano "not good enough to be a musical instrument", even though people are equally as impressed with people who can play/sing along to chord changes on it (if not more so).

...oh, and did I mention "wrong"?

Clanker37

Yes, but I'm afraid guitars are far to wide-spread and common that their sound has past their used-by-date, hence why they're not a musical instrument. Would really call nails on a chalk board, music?

Do I really need to add, "imo"?

mikey

unmotivated

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Nebbles on December 17, 2013, 11:59:38 PM...am the only one here who likes guitars? :( I'm teaching myself to play and everything...
Guitars are the best thing ever.

FierceDeity

Quote from: Clanker37 on December 18, 2013, 04:51:21 AMYes, but I'm afraid guitars are far to wide-spread and common that their sound has past their used-by-date, hence why they're not a musical instrument.

First of all, I think the main problem is that you're assuming that "musical instrument" is a subjective term. It is not. It is a defined term with defined characteristics. Second, if an instrument being widespread and common makes it not a musical instrument, again, we're gonna have to exclude piano, as well.

Quote from: Clanker37 on December 18, 2013, 04:51:21 AMWould really call nails on a chalk board, music?

No, but I would call what is arguably the most stylistically versatile harmonic instrument music. Either your opinion is far too rigid on this, or your listening far too limited. Go listen to some classical guitar. Some jazz solos. Some good rock.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Clanker37 on December 18, 2013, 04:51:21 AMWould really call nails on a chalk board, music?

I love this, because in a sense, it could be. Music is defined as "Audible Art", and "Art" is anything that moves you. If you were moved by the chalk board concertino, than it is music! xD
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Dude