News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Neo-Late-Romantic?

Meh. Too many hyphens.

I haven't listened to much classical in a while, should probably get back into it.
what is shitpost

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 31, 2017, 10:27:14 AMftfy

(no i'm kidding but in all seriousness why does Schumann do the same thing 8 times over again all the time)

Are you kidding Schubert is king of the repeat sign (also he revered Schumann and Beethoven so he's okay in my book)

Chopin didn't care for Beethoven and I don't trust people who say they don't love Beethoven
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

I think it has more to do with that Chopin wasn't affected by what Beethoven did, he just did his own thing, rather than a dislike.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

There's several letters he's written where says he can't warm up to Beethoven's music and doesn't care for it in basically those exact terms, though he liked one of Beethoven's sonatas enough to assign it to students. In general I think a lot of it was that Beethoven was really intense as a composer and Chopin (and really a lot of people) was sort of terrified or freaked out by his music. I mean, tbh no sane person can listen to the late sonatas or string quartets in the context of the time they were published and consider them the works of a sane man.

MaestroUGC

Of course, but that's a phase all truly new music goes through. I think did some interesting things with harmony and phrasing for piano music, but I agree people do place too much importance on him overall.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

I don't agree with that at all. Haha he and Bach are the most important imo, I was just saying Chopin's opinions on him

InsigTurtle

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 31, 2017, 08:12:54 AMC to Ab flat isn't all that dissonant, though.
Not dissonant, but distant. If anything, I wish he'd use more dissonance. I don't have an issue with using borrowed chords but I feel he overuses them for the same effect each time.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Definitely with Maestro here; to quote the Garrick Ohlsson lecture that I'm sure we're both thinking of, "Chopin tipped his hat and then did his own thing". He also said that the late Beethoven string quartet in A minor was "greater than anything we (he and Schumann) will ever achieve".
what is shitpost

mikey

I like Nancy Faber, she does good stuff

With the music notes
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 31, 2017, 04:07:17 PMI like Nancy Faber, she does good stuff

With the music notes
Okay I know we're constantly at odds but this is my favorite thing on this thread
what is shitpost

LeviR.star

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 31, 2017, 04:07:17 PMI like Nancy Faber, she does good stuff

With the music notes

Piano Adventures! I took lessons that way for 6 years!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dekkadeci

Here's some Kirby music opinions a lot of people (at least YouTube commenters) disagree with me on:

02's theme is worse than a lot of other Kirby music (e.g. 02's theme < Dark Meta Knight's theme, 02's theme < Heart of Nova, 02's theme < Checker Knights, 02's theme < Squeak Boss theme, 02's theme < Moonstruck Blossom--those don't even make my Top 10 Kirby themes list):
It's probably because of my dislike of slow themes, but I keep thinking 02's theme is overrated. The melody is sooooo slow, and the accompaniment isn't interesting enough to compensate (unlike Sullied Grace). The attempts to subdivide the melody notes are amusing, but that's as far as it gets.

Marx's theme < Heart of Nova:
Think both themes are strange all you want, at least Heart of Nova is in a key for most to all of it (F minor). Perhaps Marx's theme is in C minor for the one part of it that sounds sorta like the Kirby Super Star boss theme, but that's definitely the minority of the piece, and it took me a long time for me to figure that out.

Moonstruck Blossom < The World to Win/Soul of Sectonia and Moonstruck Blossom < Sullied Grace:
I can see why Moonstruck Blossom is the most popularly arranged of Sectonia's boss themes (it's lyrical and easily massaged into jazz arrangements), but it's always been my least favourite. Sometimes The World to Win/Soul of Sectonia are my favourites, and sometimes I'm laughing too hard at their (appropriate in the case of The World to Win) use of the Hypernova theme. Sullied Grace took a while to grow on me, anyway, given its very slow melody on top of fast accompaniment, but I like its "And now for something completely different" instrumentation more than whatever Moonstruck Blossom has to offer. I suspect my dislike of slow themes still has something to do with my lack of love for Moonstruck Blossom, but I still see that I'm in the unpopular camp here.
Oh yeah, now I remember what else I don't like about Moonstruck Blossom. It's way too relaxing for a boss theme. I'm not supposed to be able to leave boss themes on as background music for dine-in restaurants.

Dark Crafter's theme < Claycia's theme:
Yeah yeah yeah, Dark Crafter's theme is way more popularly arranged (while I haven't found a SINGLE remix of Claycia's theme yet), likely because it's more lyrical...but it's also way too relaxing for a boss theme, let alone a final boss theme, and at least Claycia's theme is adequately stressful.

Latios212

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 31, 2017, 02:08:45 AMI'm not really a fan of a lot of Grant Kirkhope's music. That's not to say that he isn't talented. I just don't like the playful tone he likes to use with his sudden somewhat-distant chord changes (like C - Ab - C) and his instrumentation. I do like his work in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, though. It's like how I'm not a fan of most Baroque composers yet it's still possible to appreciate the artistry there, and there are quite a few Baroque pieces that I like.

David Wise, though. I like him.
A little bit late, but my thoughts on those two (DK) composers exactly.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

I dunno, I think the word "unironically" is getting overused almost as much as the word "literally".
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements