News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Sheet Music Errors Thread

Started by KefkaticFanatic, March 16, 2014, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kricketune54

I was advised to post these here, since they are 1's on the Replacement Initiative (Low Priority),but I had permission from Bubble's to make some formatting updates to a couple sheets so that they are in line with the site's current standards.

I have updated the URLs as well as the sheet layouts, which were the criteria that got them in the Replacement initiative. Links are to folders with all the necessary files

Pokemon Colosseum - Relic Forest in Danger

Pokemon Colosseum - Outskirt Stand

Code_Name_Geek

I believe the copyright information in Tetris (NES) - High Score is incorrect. The first version of Tetris was released in 1984 for the Electronika 60, but the NES version that this track is from was released in 1989 and published by Nintendo. Bullet-Proof Software (now known as Blue Planet Software) did publish several versions of Tetris, but this was not one of them.

Edit: One more to add, sorry. Tetris (Arcade) - Troïka might also be mislabelled. This track was in the 1988 Atari arcade version of Tetris, but the intro in this sheet better matches the version from the 1989 NES port published by Tengen. The copyright also says Tengen instead of Atari (though oddly it has the year for the arcade version).

Atcero

SotN's Dracula's Castle has a few wrong notes at the very end of the song (im not sure what the accidental should be used but its the F#/Gb)

Current
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Changed
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

I was looking at Gusty Garden Galaxy from Super Mario galaxy 1. And thought it was a bit strange how it went from Db-major to A-major, and how 1 part of the middle section was in Db-major and another in A-major. First though, oh I guess the whole middle section should be in A-major. Which, made it look better. But then looked more at the broader score, and thought hmm would this sheet look better in C#-major?? A bit of an unorthodox key. But I tried, and I think it looks better and is more logical and consistent. As the song goes from Db/C# to A, it makes it easier using only sharps. It also avoid some unnecessary double-flats, which is in the current one.

Also making the middle section in A-major fixes the mordent in m.45. As of current one, the notes you're supposed to play would be Bbb-C-Bbb (rather than A/Bbb-B/Cb-A/Bbb, which I doubt was intendent (or is in the original, haven't listened, but Bbb-C-Bbb mordent sounds a bit wild). As you play the next scale tone (unless the mordent is altered using flats/sharps).

Link to mus-files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p4wrc93nedgt98i/AAB6kq3tsittBi6_n0bufN1Fa?dl=0

As you can see, looks much easier to read in A-major
Spoiler
[close]

The transition part is probably easier to read with only sharps (however the only problem is also here with that A#aug later A#-chord, which is a bit confusing as most people are used to Bb-major. (really the only major issue I find)
Spoiler
[close]

The beginning looks fine
Spoiler
[close]

The melody-part looks fine
Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

XiaoMigros

Hi! Thanks for taking a look at this sheet. As someone who has arranged this track myself (albeit needing a dire reworking) let me comment on your points:
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 19, 2023, 11:23:50 AMFirst though, oh I guess the whole middle section should be in A-major. Which, made it look better.
What makes you think this whole section should be in A major? If it's solely based on the urge to use the same key signature for each section rather than changing mid way through, I don't think that's a wise decision. In the first half of this section we repeatedly have Cbm chords that are resolved to (the tonic,) Db.
In fact, I think it would be best if we don't change to A major at all in this track, since even the later half doesn't really resolve towards A for very long (though the main advantage of this key change is keeping the amount of double accidentals low).

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 19, 2023, 11:23:50 AMBut then looked more at the broader score, and thought hmm would this sheet look better in C#-major?? A bit of an unorthodox key. But I tried, and I think it looks better and is more logical and consistent. As the song goes from Db/C# to A, it makes it easier using only sharps. It also avoid some unnecessary double-flats, which is in the current one.
This does indeed seem to look better, but it is not without its own issues as well: It eliminates a few double flats (particularly in the bVI-bVII-I cadence) but adds some double sharps in return. The main drawback however is having to deal with even more accidentals, so I think this is more of a personal preference rather than something that has to be addressed.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 19, 2023, 11:23:50 AMAlso making the middle section in A-major fixes the mordent in m.45. As of current one, the notes you're supposed to play would be Bbb-C-Bbb (rather than A/Bbb-B/Cb-A/Bbb, which I doubt was intendent (or is in the original, haven't listened, but Bbb-C-Bbb mordent sounds a bit wild). As you play the next scale tone (unless the mordent is altered using flats/sharps).
While you are correct on paper, I think in reality this difference is less noticeable (not to say it shouldnt be fixed though). A mordent between two non-adjacent white keys would be pretty unusual, but it is best clarified through an added flat above it.

This sheet certainly isn't flawless, as I've noticed in the past as well, but I'm not entirely sold on C# major being noticeably better than Db, and I think I disagree with you on the 'A major section'

Tobbeh99

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 19, 2023, 02:23:18 PMWhat makes you think this whole section should be in A major? If it's solely based on the urge to use the same key signature for each section rather than changing mid way through, I don't think that's a wise decision. In the first half of this section we repeatedly have Cbm chords that are resolved to (the tonic,) Db.
In fact, I think it would be best if we don't change to A major at all in this track, since even the later half doesn't really resolve towards A for very long (though the main advantage of this key change is keeping the amount of double accidentals low).
This does indeed seem to look better, but it is not without its own issues as well: It eliminates a few double flats (particularly in the bVI-bVII-I cadence) but adds some double sharps in return. The main drawback however is having to deal with even more accidentals, so I think this is more of a personal preference rather than something that has to be addressed.
While you are correct on paper, I think in reality this difference is less noticeable (not to say it shouldnt be fixed though). A mordent between two non-adjacent white keys would be pretty unusual, but it is best clarified through an added flat above it.

This sheet certainly isn't flawless, as I've noticed in the past as well, but I'm not entirely sold on C# major being noticeably better than Db, and I think I disagree with you on the 'A major section'
I won't argue with you on the theory-part, which I think you seem flawless in. And I agree with Cb-minor to Db-major, it makes sense. What caught my eye was the amount of double-flats. Looking at measure 40 and after reading realizing that, ... well that's just a D-major (or upper half of Bm if you want to be technical). Leading me thinking that writing that chord with flats and double-flats, was just a more "harder-to-read" way of writing it. And also considering how it goes to A-major later I thought "well shouldn't it start in A-major already in the start of the section".

QuoteThis does indeed seem to look better, but it is not without its own issues as well
Yes, 100% agrees. However you slice it, there going to be "more complicated parts" using double-sharps/Flats and other stuff" although I think it's better to try to make it as simple and easy-to-read as possible. Some of the double-sharps, I added, and are kind of optional. Like how the meoldy in m.12 goes Cx-E#-D# (or in the current Dn-F-Eb) could be written Dn-E#-D#, feel like that's a matter of preference.

Also noticed that the very first measures looks better with sharps, as it is a bit "quasi-A-major" with the bass going A-B-C# (Now written Bbb-Cb-Db). The first measure could be seen as some A-lydian thing. Which also a reason why I thought C#-major was actually better - due to the borrowing of "A-major/lydian -esque elements" like A-major to B-major.

QuoteIn fact, I think it would be best if we don't change to A major at all in this track
I experimented with the idea of having it in C#-major all the time (which felt odd tbh), but after noticing a lot how many neutrals that was needed then, I rejected that idea.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 17, 2023, 10:51:38 AMI was advised to post these here, since they are 1's on the Replacement Initiative (Low Priority),but I had permission from Bubble's to make some formatting updates to a couple sheets so that they are in line with the site's current standards.
Got those updated for you!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: NineLives on November 22, 2022, 02:19:52 PMI decided to try to update 32 of my older sheets in hopes of keeping all of their formatting consistent with each other as well as with other modern sheets that are being submitted now.
Thanks for the comprehensive change list! Took me a while but I got these all updated for you too :)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Atcero on April 11, 2023, 08:36:24 PMSotN's Dracula's Castle has a few wrong notes at the very end of the song (im not sure what the accidental should be used but its the F#/Gb)
Good catch! Went with F# because of the An

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on January 30, 2023, 05:39:50 PMI believe the copyright information in Tetris (NES) - High Score is incorrect. The first version of Tetris was released in 1984 for the Electronika 60, but the NES version that this track is from was released in 1989 and published by Nintendo. Bullet-Proof Software (now known as Blue Planet Software) did publish several versions of Tetris, but this was not one of them.

Edit: One more to add, sorry. Tetris (Arcade) - Troïka might also be mislabelled. This track was in the 1988 Atari arcade version of Tetris, but the intro in this sheet better matches the version from the 1989 NES port published by Tengen. The copyright also says Tengen instead of Atari (though oddly it has the year for the arcade version).
I got both of these updated as well, but I'm not able to correct the console/release year of the Tengen game myself, so that will follow at a later point in time

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 19, 2023, 11:23:50 AMI was looking at Gusty Garden Galaxy from Super Mario galaxy 1. And thought it was a bit strange how it went from Db-major to A-major, and how 1 part of the middle section was in Db-major and another in A-major. First though, oh I guess the whole middle section should be in A-major. Which, made it look better. But then looked more at the broader score, and thought hmm would this sheet look better in C#-major?? A bit of an unorthodox key. But I tried, and I think it looks better and is more logical and consistent. As the song goes from Db/C# to A, it makes it easier using only sharps. It also avoid some unnecessary double-flats, which is in the current one.
Sorry I never got back to you after our first discussion! If you want, I think the best idea would be to contact the original arranger and see what they think of the changes you're suggesting. Then, we can proceed from there..

Zeila

Someone pointed out to me that A Funeral of Flowers (Thunder) has a wrong note in measure 11. The 4th eighth note in the LH should be a D instead of an E. Also, Rei Kondoh is the sole composer of this track

[files]

XiaoMigros

Atcero

I believe Castlevania - Heart of Fire is missing a natural (could be wrong but 90% sure).

It's the RH Measure 16 Beat 4.5 B, Im pretty sure it should be naturaled and not flatted there. (Will get link once at computer can't really get it on mobile sadly)
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

XiaoMigros

I think you're right, but it may be worth considering a replacement for this sheet since there are some other issues with it too