News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Arrangement Contest No. 4

Started by Olimar12345, September 15, 2014, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favorite?

"Toad Tomb" by Bloop
"Stranded - Night on the Distant Planet" by MaestroUGC
"Lament of the Legendary Hero" by NocturneOfShadow
"The Blood-Stained Peaks of Froenborg" by SlowPokemon

Olimar12345

Welcome back to the fourth round of the Arrangement Contest! The theme this time around is:

Arrange any video game song to sound spooky/scary.

Take any song from any video game, excluding pieces that are already spooky or scary-sounding, and take a horror approach to arranging it. Make it sound like something you would hear on or around Halloween! This of course means, songs like Lavender town, Submerged Castle, anything from Luigi's Mansion, and music blatantly from horror games aren't allowed. You can use any instruments you may like. In case you are in doubt whether your selected piece is valid, PM me and ask.

Your score will be based on the following criteria:
1) Orchestration: Do the instruments serve the music? A simple copy/paste would result in a low score, while a dynamic orchestration would yield something higher.
2) Preservation: does the arrangement make it clear what the original was while meeting the criteria? If the arrangement only makes a single reference to the original while it does something else entirely, then it'll get a low score.
3) Creativity: does the arrangement go beyond the criteria? If it only does the basic change, low score.
4) Criteria: does the arrangement meet the criteria for the challenge? If no, low score; barely, middle; totally, high.
5) Formatting: make sure your piece has the following information: a title, a subtitle(including the original song title and the game it's from), the the composers name, and the arrangers name(either your NSM alias or real name). You get more points if you arrangement had other standard things such as measure numbers, dynamics, etc.(if such things apply to your piece). This category should result in easy points.
6) Popular vote: each entry gets a corresponding score from everyone who votes, an average from the votes for the piece out of all the votes.

Alright! Here are the entrants:

Bloop
"Toad Tomb" Based on "Toad Town" from Paper Mario
[MUS] [MP3] [PDF]
Original
[close]

MaestroUGC
"Stranded - Night on the Distant Planet" Based on "Forest of Hope" form Pikmin
[MUS] [MP3] [PDF]
Original
[close]

NocturneOfShadow
"Lament of the Legendary Hero" Based on "The Legendary Hero" from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
[MUS] [MP3] [PDF]
Original
[close]

SlowPokemon
"The Blood-Stained Peaks of Froenborg" Based on "The Silver Peaks of Froenborg" from Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
[MUS] [MP3] [PDF]
Original
[close]

To get an idea of how things may be like, below are links to the previous contests.

Arrangement Contest No. 1
Arrangement Contest No. 2
Arrangement Contest No. 3

Post below if you would like to take part in the contest, or if you'd like to be a judge.

Arrangers:

-MaestroUGC
-SlowPokemon
-FireArrow
-Clanker37
-NocturneOfShadow
-DonValentino
-Bloop

Judges:

-Olimar12345
-Echo
-Yugi

Once you've signed up, PM me with your song choice as soon as you decide. We won't make this an anonymous contest, but let's try to make it a surprise as to which songs we'll be arranging. This will also prevent people from arranging the same song twice, if the issue rises(in which case, first come first serve). PM me your complete submission when you finish.

Tentative dates are as follows:

September 24th will be the deadline for signing up/choosing a song.
October 24th will be the deadline for submitting your piece.
October 25th poll opens for popularity votes.
October 30th poll closes.
October 31st post results and crown the winner.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

I will accept the call to challenge and also volunteer to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

I think it will be easier this time around to do either/or, so pick which one you want to do more!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

I'm thinking about actually signing up for this now that my music professor gave me permission to ignore him and work on arranging stuff during class, which also means my first arrangement will be done soon :D

And isn't criteria #4 redundant?  Because it's basically scoring you on how well you scored :P
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Awesome! Can I put you down as an arranger? Also, that criteria section refers to the theme of the contest, not your score.

MaestroUGC

"Scoring highly will give you a 10 point bonus; Scoring low only 2. If you manage to score a zero I will come to your house and punch you in the kidney and steal all of your forks."

Then I suppose just put me down as a player, I would've taken the penalty or whatever for being a judgrorororor, but I suppose Olimar wants a level playing field.

mikey

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 15, 2014, 12:05:08 PMAwesome! Can I put you down as an arranger? Also, that criteria section refers to the theme of the contest, not your score.
Oh, okay.  And I'll let you know like tomorrow once I figure out some stuff (mainly like what piece I would want to use)
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Me too ;O

I may end up not finishing in time, depends on how much my teachers let off on homework.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Maelstrom

I might do this. It depends on whether or not I can actually make a song creepy.... :P

Olimar12345

Once you've signed up, PM me with your song choice as soon as you decide. We won't make this an anonymous contest, but let's try to make it a surprise as to which songs we'll be arranging. This will also prevent people from arranging the same song twice, if the issue rises(in which case, first come first serve).

MaestroUGC

When's the deadline for choosing a piece and the deadline for the contest going to be?

Yugi

Can we pick non-spooky songs from horror games, such as the level 1 theme from Eversion?

Also I can sign up to be a judge or participant, whichever you need me to do.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 15, 2014, 11:33:04 AMIn case you are in doubt whether your selected piece is valid, PM me and ask.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 15, 2014, 11:33:04 AMWe won't make this an anonymous contest, but let's try to make it a surprise as to which songs we'll be arranging.

People should learn to read.

Yugi

I wasn't planning on using that song through, I was using that as an example for "non-spooky song from a spooky game".

Other point is valid though.