News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Site Upgrade

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 05, 2014, 04:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 06, 2014, 04:29:26 AMAs for splitting up current sections, I don't really see what the problem is. Potential series like Mario Kart or Paper Mario already have over 60 sheets each, and that's only going to increase. Why does everything have to be kept in as few giant sections as possible anyway?
Is it really that bad? Wow, they're only sections...

But would it really be convenient to have separate sections for Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi and Super Mario? I could understand Wario or Yoshi having their own one, but that much splitting would be excessive. imo it depends on the different series themselves rather than the number of sheets of a sub-series. That's why Layton, Tales, Dragon Quest or Harvest Moon have their own sections in first place, even if they don't have that many sheets.

I think now it's perfect as it is :J

mikey

Quote from: DonValentino on October 06, 2014, 06:15:44 AMBut would it really be convenient to have separate sections for Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi and Super Mario?

yes
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: DonValentino on October 06, 2014, 06:15:44 AMBut would it really be convenient to have separate sections for Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi and Super Mario? I could understand Wario or Yoshi having their own one, but that much splitting would be excessive. imo it depends on the different series themselves rather than the number of sheets of a sub-series. That's why Layton, Tales, Dragon Quest or Harvest Moon have their own sections in first place, even if they don't have that many sheets.

I think now it's perfect as it is :J
I agree
And Paper Mario would just be Paper Mario, it'd be the TYYD, Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star.
There will eventually be around 200 Paper Mario songs.
Mario Kart too would be nice.

MaestroUGC

Since it's set-up to have the side bar organized by franchise, that could forward or open up to reveal subsections.

For ex: Hover over/click on Super Mario and it spread out to show sub-sections for the Main Series, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

We should also think about reorganizing the site to have the games ordered chronologically by release rather that alphabetically, since that's probably how most people would want to browse through the library.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

DonValentino

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 06, 2014, 07:32:44 AMSince it's set-up to have the side bar organized by franchise, that could forward or open up to reveal subsections.

For ex: Hover over/click on Super Mario and it spread out to show sub-sections for the Main Series, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

We should also think about reorganizing the site to have the games ordered chronologically by release rather that alphabetically, since that's probably how most people would want to browse through the library.

+100000000000

Maelstrom

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 06, 2014, 07:32:44 AMWe should also think about reorganizing the site to have the games ordered chronologically by release rather that alphabetically, since that's probably how most people would want to browse through the library.
+∞

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on October 06, 2014, 10:22:06 AM+∞
+8

Actually I don't think either are optimal organization strategies tbh because with alphabetical you don't know whether articles are included in the title (EG is wind waker under W or T).  With chronological order I'm sorry, but I couldn't tell you which was made first, paper mario or super mario 64.
Of course I really shouldn't complain seeing as I can't think of a better idea.
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

No offense but you also think all Pokemon is crap after Gen III. Chronological order would be much more convenient for the rest of us, correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

You never factor the articles in Titles as the first word when organizing something alphabetically. Anything beginning with "the" "a" "an" etc. would be organized:

Legend of Zelda, The
Legend of Zelda II, The
Legend of Zelda, The: A Link to the Past

etc.

And for ordering things chronologically all it would take is a quick Google search to double check dates.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 06, 2014, 10:34:34 AMNo offense
Yeah right
If you meant no offense you wouldn't have even said that I think all pokemon is crap after gen 3
why do you have a problem with me and why do you put words in my mouth?
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Children, settle down, this is not an issue worth getting to an argument about.

Maelstrom

At the very least, games in the same series need to be put together in the "other" section. It may or may not help if subseries were categorized together and those were put in chronological order, like Mario Kart and Paper Mario. This might get too confusing, though.....

MaestroUGC

I don't think the sub-series themselves need to be ordered chronologically, but it wouldn't hurt, in fact I think sub-series should be ordered alphabetically in the drop-down menu or whatever. This is mainly an issue for stuff like the bajillion Mario games out there.

For ex:

Super Mario>
-Main Series (Super Mario Bros.)
-Mario Kart
-Paper Mario
-Mario and Luigi
-Mario Party
-Sports Games
-Misc.

This generally wouldn't be an issue for other Franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Kirby since they get very few games (if any) that are not part of their main series.

Everything in "Other" should at least organize smaller franchises and games together. It's pain wading through 20 or so games just to find one when it should only take a few clicks (or a simple search) to get to.

All this said I think the biggest priority once the site is revamped to function better is to optimize and make accessing the library as quick and painless as possible for guests, especially for people who stumble across the site for the first time.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

Olimar12345

It's got the capital "B" and everything! :J
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!