News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Introducing Our New Submissions System

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 15, 2014, 02:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

I agree with you. It would sure help the updaters a lot. Why would they object?

FireArrow

Just freaking make them updaters, we don't need subordinate, half-assed "mini-updaters." The whole original concept was that experienced arrangers could bypass a lot of bureaucracy, but now that the bogged down system is completely gone, there's no need to offer shortcuts.

Updating is completely separate. If said people are capable of doing it, then by all means let them, but trying to creatively shoehorn in a now null and void idea is, quite frankly, frivolous.

tl;dr
Train fierce and bloop to be updaters.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bloop

braix

Quote from: FireArrow on October 19, 2014, 04:52:28 PMJust freaking make them updaters, we don't need subordinate, half-assed "mini-updaters." The whole original concept was that experienced arrangers could bypass a lot of bureaucracy, but now that the bogged down system is completely gone, there's no need to offer shortcuts.

Updating is completely separate. If said people are capable of doing it, then by all means let them, but trying to creatively shoehorn in a now null and void idea is, quite frankly, frivolous.

tl;dr
Train fierce and bloop to be updaters.
thanks for the tl:dr
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: FireArrow on October 18, 2014, 11:36:04 PMIs there anything wrong with it just being for bragging rights?
What's the point of the staff giving out bragging rights if it had nothing to do with bragging rights in the first place?

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 19, 2014, 04:11:17 PMI'm totally down with this mini-updater thing but I think any helping with the updates (by checking sheets and such) should be voluntary and not necessary for the title.
Anyone and everyone can comment on any sheets. That's why the threads are publicly viewable, so that anyone can give feedback and we'd love it if lots more people would take advantage of that.

Quote from: FireArrow on October 19, 2014, 04:52:28 PMUpdating is completely separate.
Yes it is. Being added as a veteran arranger has nothing to do with whether or not we think someone should be an updater and the decision to make someone an updater will be made separately.

FireArrow

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 19, 2014, 06:00:30 PMWhat's the point of the staff giving out bragging rights if it had nothing to do with bragging rights in the first place?

A staff member personally giving you a title that says you're a good arranger is something worth bragging about. If you don't see any value in that because it doesn't offer any special privileges, then I don't know what to say.

QuoteYes it is. Being added as a veteran arranger has nothing to do with whether or not we think someone should be an updater and the decision to make someone an updater will be made separately.

Did you post this just to agree with me, or... ? Yeah, VA has nothing to do with the current system. The idea of making Fierce and Bloop updaters is in response to people saying that they should do it under the guise of a new position of power. If they're capable of checking sheets, then just freaking make them updaters. If they aren't, oh well.

The Deku Trombonist

I know it is something worth bragging about but that wasn't our intention, it was just a by-product of the idea behind making submissions go quicker. If from now on we're handing out titles purely for that purpose, then that's different.

I was kinda posting to agree, but also to add that our consideration for someone as an updater is separate to them being made veteran. A number of people seem to be conflating the two.

JDMEK5

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 19, 2014, 07:38:45 PMI was kinda posting to agree, but also to add that our consideration for someone as an updater is separate to them being made veteran. A number of people seem to be conflating the two.
Obviously VAs would go through specialized training to become updaters. They aren't interchangable.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

The Deku Trombonist

The next news post: Announcing the NSM Updater Academy!  :P

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MaestroUGC

Can I be that alumnus who's hanging around campus but graduated years ago but stays to keep hanging out with the teachers and giving unsolicited advice to the students. Yeah, I should be in college, but I'm going rogue, man. I'm living la vida loca, waiting for the world to understand my genius.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

FireArrow

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 19, 2014, 07:38:45 PMI know it is something worth bragging about but that wasn't our intention, it was just a by-product of the idea behind making submissions go quicker. If from now on we're handing out titles purely for that purpose, then that's different.

I was kinda posting to agree, but also to add that our consideration for someone as an updater is separate to them being made veteran. A number of people seem to be conflating the two.

Yeah, we're saying the same thing with different words. :3

Olimar12345

Guys, this is silly; we should just get rid of the VA positions. Their purpose has come and gone. If someone is qualified to be an updater and can+wants to, we can always work something out. I just don't see a practical situation that involves us keeping that member group around.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

The Deku Trombonist

FireArrow

^Pretty much this. Let them keep their title though.