Game: Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Dragonborn Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Meloetta

[attachment deleted by admin]

JDMEK5

Just some quick things at first glance:

1) Measure 1-4: I don't know about bass drum so we need a second opinion here, but I'm under the mind that if there's room to put it in without making it look sloppy then go ahead. Although I would consider replacing the bass drum with something a little more accessible. Like a foot stomp or something. Something that doesn't require another person if possible. But the real thing I'm pointing out here are those ties to the rests. Um, as far as I know there is no reason to do that so don't. :P

2) Measures 5-20: Good use of articulation and dynamics but I would leave out the double bar lines at measures 12 and 20. Double bar lines are saved for different sections of songs (depending on the arranger and situation (not something I do often)) or key changes. For a song like this, especially a piano solo, I would save them exclusively for key changes.

3) Measure 21-28: Articulation in the right hand disappeared, although I think this would be a choice spot to have them. Could we add some staccatos and accents here and there possibly?

4) Measure 37-42: These A#s seem a little out of place to my ear. I didn't compare to the original so I'm not going to say it's wrong, but the A natural seemed to match what I've heard so often better.

5) Could you resize the page? (Use the little "%" tool) If you put it to 80% or so it should only take 3 pages as opposed to 6. Smaller staves are also easier to manipulate and move around.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Meloetta

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 22, 2014, 09:28:15 AM1) Measure 1-4: I don't know about bass drum so we need a second opinion here, but I'm under the mind that if there's room to put it in without making it look sloppy then go ahead. Although I would consider replacing the bass drum with something a little more accessible. Like a foot stomp or something. Something that doesn't require another person if possible. But the real thing I'm pointing out here are those ties to the rests. Um, as far as I know there is no reason to do that so don't. :P

I created this arrangement so that it can be performed for solo piano, or as a play-along to the original track up to the final statement of the main theme (from m.1 to m. 96). The bass drum cue is intentional because if the pianist - beginner or professional - chooses to play with a track, they can see and hear what is going on before they start playing... This is common practice among modern orchestral performance parts that have long period of rests, or to give the pianist some sense of location in the music so they won't be lost. And besides, it would be weird to have a 4-bar rest for a solo piano arrangement... Don't you think? Might as well use the space wisely for something that is logical :)

I can edit it so they can do foot stomps and such if you think that will serve better. As for the ties, it is to denote that the bass drum rings after being hit. This can be added but not necessarily. I can remove it if it helps clarify things and make the sheet music look neater :)

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 22, 2014, 09:28:15 AM2) Measures 5-20: Good use of articulation and dynamics but I would leave out the double bar lines at measures 12 and 20. Double bar lines are saved for different sections of songs (depending on the arranger and situation (not something I do often)) or key changes. For a song like this, especially a piano solo, I would save them exclusively for key changes.

I'll reconsider the placement of those double bar lines. When I made the piano arrangement, I placed double bar lines in the exact same position I had it in my orchestral arrangement and in the VGL Conductor Score (which I also have). It would make sense that it would put there as it introduces new ideas and develops character to a next statement. Yes, it uses the same 8th note fragment-like ostinato in the RH, but the LH is altered a lot to better set up and give way for the first statement of the main theme. Gotta build it somehow, lol. And besides, isn't 8 a magic number in music that makes things much easier to count in? Hope this explanation made sense to you because its hard to explain, lol.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 22, 2014, 09:28:15 AM3) Measure 21-28: Articulation in the right hand disappeared, although I think this would be a choice spot to have them. Could we add some staccatos and accents here and there possibly?

Final Jeopardy Theme plays in the background...

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 22, 2014, 09:28:15 AM4) Measure 37-42: These A#s seem a little out of place to my ear. I didn't compare to the original so I'm not going to say it's wrong, but the A natural seemed to match what I've heard so often better.

The A# is intentional because the piece is in B minor.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 22, 2014, 09:28:15 AM5) Could you resize the page? (Use the little "%" tool) If you put it to 80% or so it should only take 3 pages as opposed to 6. Smaller staves are also easier to manipulate and move around.

Sure! :)
-Meloetta (ASCAP)
Composer, Arranger, and Orchestrator
...and lover of Arizona Green Tea :p

JDMEK5

Quote from: Meloetta on October 22, 2014, 12:46:07 PMI created this arrangement so that it can be performed for solo piano, or as a play-along to the original track up to the final statement of the main theme (from m.1 to m. 96). The bass drum cue is intentional because if the pianist - beginner or professional - chooses to play with a track, they can see and hear what is going on before they start playing... This is common practice among modern orchestral performance parts that have long period of rests, or to give the pianist some sense of location in the music so they won't be lost. And besides, it would be weird to have a 4-bar rest for a solo piano arrangement... Don't you think? Might as well use the space wisely for something that is logical :)

I can edit it so they can do foot stomps and such if you think that will serve better. As for the ties, it is to denote that the bass drum rings after being hit. This can be added but not necessarily. I can remove it if it helps clarify things and make the sheet music look neater :)
I would alter to foot stomps because then people can possibly imitate the original better by themselves. What we prepare for NSM is not a piano version of an orchestral arrangement, but a "Piano Solo" arrangement written specifically for that purpose. Nobody will have a bass drum but (since I know that wasn't your original purpose) I think a foot stomp would leave the same options open and still leave more as well. What if this person plays at a mall? Then they would actually have to play a 4-bar rest (which isn't a crime and don't be afraid to do that if you ever have to). But a foot stomp would fit really nicely. Maybe you could even write something in like, "Foot stomp mimics Bass Drum".

And yes, the slurs are only going to confuse the everyday pianist, who isn't an expert in percussion.

Quote from: Meloetta on October 22, 2014, 12:46:07 PMI'll reconsider the placement of those double bar lines. When I made the piano arrangement, I placed double bar lines in the exact same position I had it in my orchestral arrangement and in the VGL Conductor Score (which I also have). It would make sense that it would put there as it introduces new ideas and develops character to a next statement. Yes, it uses the same 8th note fragment-like ostinato in the RH, but the LH is altered a lot to better set up and give way for the first statement of the main theme. Gotta build it somehow, lol. And besides, isn't 8 a magic number in music that makes things much easier to count in? Hope this explanation made sense to you because its hard to explain, lol.
I do see your point and how that would work well in an orchestral setting. But again, in a piano arrangement they seem out of place. So yeah, maybe take those out. (I do have a copy of your orchestral arrangement though. Well done I must say. ;) )

Quote from: Meloetta on October 22, 2014, 12:46:07 PMThe A# is intentional because the piece is in B minor.
Yes but I wouldn't assume it's in the harmonic in this case. It could easily still be an A natural but maybe I'm just hearing things and it is an A#. I'll leave that judgement call to someone else.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Meloetta

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 23, 2014, 05:35:25 AMI would alter to foot stomps because then people can possibly imitate the original better by themselves. What we prepare for NSM is not a piano version of an orchestral arrangement, but a "Piano Solo" arrangement written specifically for that purpose. Nobody will have a bass drum but (since I know that wasn't your original purpose) I think a foot stomp would leave the same options open and still leave more as well. What if this person plays at a mall? Then they would actually have to play a 4-bar rest (which isn't a crime and don't be afraid to do that if you ever have to). But a foot stomp would fit really nicely. Maybe you could even write something in like, "Foot stomp mimics Bass Drum".

And yes, the slurs are only going to confuse the everyday pianist, who isn't an expert in percussion.

I changed it so it be played as foot stomps without the track... and I removed the ties as well.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 23, 2014, 05:35:25 AMI do see your point and how that would work well in an orchestral setting. But again, in a piano arrangement they seem out of place. So yeah, maybe take those out. (I do have a copy of your orchestral arrangement though. Well done I must say. ;) )

Bar lines at m.12 & m.20 removed. And thanks for downloading and liking my orchestral arrangement :) It's too bad that NSM doesn't accept arrangements for upload on the main site.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 23, 2014, 05:35:25 AMYes but I wouldn't assume it's in the harmonic in this case. It could easily still be an A natural but maybe I'm just hearing things and it is an A#. I'll leave that judgement call to someone else.

I'll double check the notes later on but I'm pretty sure that the A# should be there.

Edit: A# changed to A-natural... Just because it sounds better lol. Will upload the updated .mus when I added some articulations.
-Meloetta (ASCAP)

JDMEK5

Fantastic job. Just thought I should articulate my approval.

My Arrangements

Meloetta

I may be delayed in editing the .mus with the additional articulations because of other obligations. Is there a deadline when I must submit an updated .mus before submissions ends?
-Meloetta (ASCAP)

DonValentino

Quote from: Meloetta on October 25, 2014, 10:49:37 AMI may be delayed in editing the .mus with the additional articulations because of other obligations. Is there a deadline when I must submit an updated .mus before submissions ends?

No, not really. Don't worry about that :J

Meloetta

I uploaded my edits using NSM Panel. That's all the time I have right now for it until after December 1st... But if it's acceptable as is for the main site, go ahead use that version, lol.

Changes:
>First 4 measures: Changed text to Stomp foot on ground, quasi bass drum
>Measures 12 & 20: Removed double bar lines
>Measures 37 to 42: A# changed to A-Natural
>Measures 53-55: Add Cres., poco dynamic marking, and then Decres. to give the notes that swell-like effect.
>Measures 77 & 78: Changed RH to reflect vocals instead of instruments.
>Page resized to 80% using the "%" function in Finale, as suggested.
>Most Measures: Additional articulations and ties added.

Edit: I need a vacation from school, lol. Just saying :p
-Meloetta (ASCAP)

Bespinben

It's December 1st! Dun dun dun.

I think this arrangement is suitable for the site. Personally, I found a few places a little bland (ex: the open octaves at m. 81), but overall you did a really good job.

(Just don't take it personally if/when Dusk puts out an MUS of his arrangement and submits it [someone would have to write the file for him though, so you're in the clear])
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

Looks like this is the final product. Accepted.

(Do visit us again Meloetta!)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday