NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

NinSheetMusic is 14 years old!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Nocturne's Game Reviews- for when he's bored  (Read 4868 times)

mikey

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • "Courage"
    • View Profile
Re: Nocturne's Game Reviews- for when he's bored
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »

Size equals twenty-four point DARK SOULS slash size
Unfunny Subtitle

Spoiler equals summary

The Dark Souls community is actually a singular massive circlejerk that enjoys pretending their mediocre game is somehow the definitive most challenging game of all time and the pinnacle of rewarding mastery.

Try jumping.

Slash spoiler
Luke 1:3

"It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee..."

cashwarrior1

• Ordon Overture
  • Never changes his avatar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »

Is this the dark souls of game reviews?

mikey

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • "Courage"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2019, 04:46:06 PM »

Is this the dark souls of game reviews?
absolutely

"It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee..."

mikey

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • "Courage"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED
Not Sure Why I Caps-Locked the Title

Spoiler-free summary:

Dark Souls is worth playing.  As far as I can tell, the remaster sure doesn't feel like a remaster and most Dark Souls fans agree, I think.  The only thing the remaster really does is upgrade the graphics and let you play Dark Souls on the best console.  It's also got DLC in it somewhere but somehow I missed all that completely.  Anyway, I think we can all agree that Dark Souls' reputation for being a difficult game precedes it.  I'm here to tell you that it is not a difficult game at all.  I may not be a credible source on many things, but if Mikey says a game ain't hard, that game probably ain't hard.  That being said, Dark Souls does suffer from high complexity in ways that I personally feel inflates its barrier of entry.  While playing, there were many facets of the game that I outright ignored because I had no way of understanding how it worked (sorcery and pyromancy, for example), there are many items that don't give you nearly enough context as to what they do, and as far as I can tell there is no way of knowing what each number in the menus actually means, and Dark Souls is enough of a stat based game for it to negatively affect gameplay.

For me, one of the reasons Dark Souls got me to keep playing is the visuals.  I've never seen a game with such beautiful locations.  The aesthetic of each unique area is on par with Zelda games (!) and the areas that I really liked I wanted to fully explore, whereas the areas I hated I really hated.  We'll mark that down as a good thing.  Exploring these areas was both viscerally satisfying and mechanically rewarding, and overall I think the spread of hidden secrets is well balanced.  By far the most common item you can find is a "Soul of a [adjective] [noun]", which can be tuned to drop a different number of souls depending on which kind you find.  This helps keep items feel rewarding and not too same-y.  On the more artistic spectrum, there are many locations to find that offer less tangible rewards, like a beautiful scenic overlook.

The characters are amazing, the story is... not?  Maybe?  The joke is that you can play through the whole game and not have any understanding of the story whatsoever, which is more or less what happened to me.  Don't worry, still staying spoiler free for now.  I'm told that the story is intentionally obfuscating, so take that as you will, but by and large the story feels extremely detached from the game; that is, progress in one does not have an affect on progress in the other and I didn't really enjoy that concept.  The characters, though... man.  Dark Souls treats NPCs in a weird way- you can find a character in multiple different places throughout the game and kind of "progress their story", or you can ignore them, or you can even kill them!  Killing them grants their armor and weaponry, which is AMAZING, but I have never ever felt so bad about killing NPCs as I have in Dark Souls.  Where Dark Souls fails with story and gameplay compatibility it surely succeeds with character and gameplay compatibility.

The gameplay itself is full of both hits and misses.  The two-handed weapon system allows for a lot of depth while being mechanically intuitive- left trigger controls left hand, right trigger controls right hand.  This allows the devs to up the complexity a bit in order to add depth to the combat, because players will typically be able to understand it swiftly.  Outside of that, the different kinds of attacks that can be performed outside of weak attack/strong attack feel a bit shoehorned and are rather difficult for new players to pull off consistently, requiring you to kind of "flick" the joystick in a direction, like dashing in Smash bros, but infinitely more finicky.  Despite that, the combat still remains a highlight of Dark Souls in my mind, largely due to the depth as well as the variety in enemies.  I think the two-handed system had one mistake in implementation- you can't be left handed.  If you put a shield in your right hand and a weapon in your left, the shield is used to attack...  Handedness could actually be extremely relevant in a game like Dark Souls, since I find certain attacks start punishing you for favoring rolling in the same direction every time.  The dark side of the gameplay is entirely localized within the sequences of the game that play like a platformer.  Each area between bonfires is the "level", and when your goal is to get from point A to point B, you start developing a path through the "level" that factors in enemy placement, etc. and ends up being rewarding, but is also just... not good?  The platformer-esque sequences are by far the hardest part of Dark Souls and it's not because they're difficult, it's because they're full of bullcrap.  There's no way to go deeper into that without spoiling anything.

The boss battles were extremely varied, which itself is likely a good thing, but the boss fights were all extremely hit or miss.  Some of the fights were just intentionally diabolical and unfair, whereas some of them felt fair and, while challenging, not impossible.  Oh, and some of them were just easy :^).  If you are wondering what I mean by "fair" and "unfair", there were certain points while fighting bosses in which I would die and I simply couldn't tell how it was my fault or if there was any way for me to not die there.  In contrast, some fair fights left me feeling more confident I could win every time I died, because I knew exactly how to avoid the attack for the next time.  While a significant majority of boss battles simply rely on you hitting the boss anywhere enough times, a small handful of them feel like "organic Zelda bosses", which is how I am describing them right now, but I will go more into depth on that when I enable spoilers.

Overall, had I reviewed Dark Souls with my old grading system, it would surely get an average aggregate score, but certain facets of it, such as the visuals, the combat, the bosses, and the characters, would be home runs and the game would really be held back by its negative aspects, like the complexity/barrier of entry issue, the platforming, and story opacity.  Despite being an "average game", the things it does well are worth experiencing, and if you are even mildly interested in experiencing Dark Souls, I highly recommend picking it up for any price.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 22 queries.