News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Working with Finale Notepad

Started by Altissimo, June 30, 2015, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I'm completely new to the community and just want to submit a few sheets, damn it :p

anyway I dowloaded the free version of Finale Notepad earlier in order to transfer some of my Musescore sheets over but Finale is only allowing me to do one page's worth of music. Is this a result of using the free version and am I going to have to buy the full version of Finale in order to do more than one page? Or is there a way around this?

EDIT: Alternatively, skimming some topics, I saw that there are some people around willing to convert music from Musescore formats to Finale ones. That would be another possibility, if anyone's willing to do that for me. I have more experience with Musescore and so can probably produce a slightly neater-looking score via Musescore anyhow.

Thanks in advance!

Brawler4Ever

I can help with the conversion from MuseScore to Notepad, if you need me to. I can also tell you how to do it yourself, although it's (kind of) complicated.

For short term, you can pm me your MuseScore sheets (or post them here) and I can give them back to you in Notepad format, however I cannot create measure numbers on the side, which is a requirement for submitting sheets onto the site. I need help with that all of the time. :P
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Altissimo

I wouldn't mind doing the conversion myself, so long as it would allow me to do more than one page of music on Notepad at a time, heh. That's probably the biggest issue I'd have with doing anything Notepad-related. Would I be able to have multiple pages if I converted a multi-page work from Musescore to Notepad format, or would it only show the first page?

JDMEK5

I don't think Notepad should have a page limit. It never did for me. I think it's a bug tbh. Try reinstalling it and see what happens.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Brawler4Ever

For me, converting from MuseScore to Notepad recreates the pages exactly as it was created. Going from Notepad to MuseScore is more messy, but it's easier to fix, so it works just the same.

To convert from MuseScore to Notepad:
1. In MuseScore, go to File > Export. Save it as an xml file. It's just below mid.
2. In Notepad, go to File > MUSICXML > Import. Open your file.

To convert from Notepad to MuseScore:
1. In Notepad, go to File > MUSICXML > Export. Save your file.
2. In MuseScore, you can just open it normally.

That's it. As far as pages go, Notepad only shows one page at a time. You can switch between them at the bottom of the screen next to the side scroll bar. It has numbers 1-4 for the different layers, then the page number. Clicking the arrow changes between them.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Altissimo

JDMEK5: It turns out that I just didn't notice the page-switch option at the bottom. I'm too used to Musescore's system of just being able to look at all the pages at once lol

Brawler4Ever: Worked perfectly. Thanks!

Maelstrom

Quote from: Altissimo on June 30, 2015, 02:47:29 PMJDMEK5: It turns out that I just didn't notice the page-switch option at the bottom. I'm too used to Musescore's system of just being able to look at all the pages at once lol
Well, it's that way in paid finale also. Notepad just sucks overall.

Altissimo

This is why I use Musescore. :p