Oasis' Arrangement (New, Route 1, Pokemon, Finished. Feedback appreciated)

Started by Oasis, August 31, 2015, 01:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oasis

Pokemon Gold and Silver
Route 1: Original Video/ MUS/MIDI/PDF(not availible yet)

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
A Magnificent Visitor: Original Video/ MUS/MIDI/PDF
"I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!"
skiaak

Did you submit it to the submissions forum yet? Do it via the NSM Panel.
Mariolegofan to become NSM updater team!

Oasis

skiaak

Yes. You get more feedback there also. In addition, if it is accepted, it will be featured on the main site.
Mariolegofan to become NSM updater team!

Oasis

Bespinben

Quote from: Oasis on August 31, 2015, 01:35:34 PMPokemon Gold and Silver
Route 1: Original Video/ MUS/MIDI/PDF(not availible yet)
(For this, I know I am missing some harmony and some notes)

The video you link goes to the Heartgold/Soulsilver version. We're you trying to arrange that, or the original Gold/Silver/Crystal track from the Gameboy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9bDN_aZvNI

In either case, you need to improve the clarity of the notation. It becomes hard to tell where the melody is because all the harmonies are mashed together in one layer. Instead, use separate layers to keep the harmony and melody distinct. The "1, 2, 3, 4" buttons at the bottom-left corner of Finale (Notepad) allow you to switch between these layers.

Another thing you must do is consider how this song would actually be physically played on a real piano. In m. 1-9, you have HUGE intervals between the melody and harmony in the R.H. Treble Staff that not even Rachmaninoff would be able to stretch. What you need to do is either: (1) Transpose the harmony line an octave higher when an unplayable interval occurs, or; (2) Indicate for the Left Hand to play both the bass and especially low harmony notes when the melody gets too high.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Oasis

Yeah, the original link. There is a difference between those two? Oh man.
And yes, that makes sense. It just feels like Finale is really hard to use and I get really frustrated with it.
Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Altissimo

Quote from: Oasis on August 31, 2015, 03:39:47 PMYeah, the original link. There is a difference between those two? Oh man.

I thought you played all the Pokémon games??

Oasis

I thought that was the version we had to do. Too bad I didnt look at Latios' youtube thing where he lists all the songs or I wouldnt be in this mess.
*sigh*
Tobbeh99

Quote from: Bespinben on August 31, 2015, 03:33:34 PMAnother thing you must do is consider how this song would actually be physically played on a real piano. In m. 1-9, you have HUGE intervals between the melody and harmony in the R.H. Treble Staff that not even Rachmaninoff would be able to stretch. What you need to do is either: (1) Transpose the harmony line an octave higher when an unplayable interval occurs, or; (2) Indicate for the Left Hand to play both the bass and especially low harmony notes when the melody gets too high.

It might be a good idea to write out the different voices in their respective octaves first. Then afterwards, once you got all the notes down, adjust it, maybe octave certain voice/notes down or up to make it playable.

Sometimes this isn't necessary but sometimes it is really helpful. I've use this method in some songs where I'm not sure, at first sight, what octave to put certain voices in to make it sound well.

Quote from: Oasis on August 31, 2015, 03:39:47 PMYeah, the original link. There is a difference between those two? Oh man.
And yes, that makes sense. It just feels like Finale is really hard to use and I get really frustrated with it.
Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I think Finale is a great notation software, with only some minor flaws, I'm talking about the full version which I use. But what you're using is Finale Notepad (not the full version) and yes that is very tedious. You can try higher Finale versions for a month trial, downloading the trial from their website, to see if you think it's worth investing in.   
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Oasis

Yes, that sounds like a great advice. I will follow your suggestion. Thank you.