News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Help with Time Sig Transitions

Started by TheMarioPianist, October 04, 2015, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

Hey guys!

So, I'm arranging a medley of 3 Christmas songs for my steel drum band. They are Welcome Christmas (from the Grinch), Christmas Time is Here, and Hark the Herald Angels Sing. It's early for Christmas, I know. Bear with me. Anyway, since the songs go in that order, the time signature will go from 4/4->3/4->4/4. Anyone know how I would go about making these transitions? I can provide more info and the sheet if necessary.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

JDMEK5

Which version of finale are you using. The only kind of marking for a transition like that is just a time change. Just literally change the time sig whenever you feel like it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 05, 2015, 05:52:46 AMWhich version of finale are you using. The only kind of marking for a transition like that is just a time change. Just literally change the time sig whenever you feel like it.
I know how to do a time change, that's not the issue. And I have Finale 2014 so I can make the mark. I should have worded it more clearly. What I was asking about was like ideas on what to do with the music to facilitate the change from 4/4 to 3/4. Like, I have sheet music to transcribe from for each song, but the transitions in between are basically my own little additions. Kinda like I did with my Super Mario 64 medley. If you need to see any files or the songs themselves, I can post them here tonight if you need them for a better solution.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Anyone got anything here? (If you need to see the song just ask.)

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

JDMEK5

So you're inquiring about a nice way to transition between the time sigs?

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on October 07, 2015, 07:13:13 PMAnyone got anything here? (If you need to see the song just ask.)
Yeah it might help if I see it in context.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 08, 2015, 08:11:54 AMSo you're inquiring about a nice way to transition between the time sigs?
Yeah it might help if I see it in context.

Ok, I figured that would probably be the case. In this file, I have the first song complete and the first few measures of the next one done. I have left a couple blank measures in between. Basically, I need to find a way to transition between them that supports the significant tempo change, time sig change, and key change. I'm not necessarily asking you to do it for me; I just need pointed in the right direction because I have no idea how to facilitate it at the moment.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Oronoco

Here's something that might help!

The tempo and mood changes will probably be more obvious to the audience than the time signature change. So, I would take some of the rhythmic movement from the first section (like the three eighth-note motif) and combine it with some rhythms from the second section.

That could end up sounding like this. (Although if you put more thought into it, yours would sound a lot better!)

My sample immediately changes to 3/4 after the second ending of the first section. The descending baseline helps with the key change.

I hope that gives you at least something to think about! It's incredibly cool that you're in a steel drum band.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

FireArrow

You don't really need to have a transition TBH. Just go straight into 3/4.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department