Main Menu

Undertale

Started by Nebbles, October 06, 2015, 08:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

I seriously need to record a LP series for this and kick off my YoTube channel
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

What kind of person watches l.p. of Undertale
unmotivated

Sir Dino

a lot of people, apparently.

daj

https://youtu.be/d6_J0d4ojcQ

bandwagon-ing is not real!!!

hehe, i bandwagon'd! :) here's a music-nerdy take with pretty bad video quality.

was experimenting a lottle, did 14 hours of production and filming.

just about three days late! ^^ that's...quite late, buuuut eh.

Nocturne's salt feature at 1:24! ;)

Dudeman

@0:07 HEY.

This is a great video. I love the part pointing out how Alphys's theme is used in Here We Are, which reflects how you're exploring a dark, secret side of her. In the future, balance your audio better so it's easier to hear you (pro tip: daj included subtitles because he's a genius like that). I missed hearing you over the sound of the OST.

also I will never be able to read your posts with an accent, it just seems wrong somehow
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

daj

Quote from: Dudeman on September 18, 2016, 05:12:28 AM@0:07 HEY.

Meanwhile i included my own genocide footage in the video, hehe

QuoteThis is a great video. I love the part pointing out how Alphys's theme is used in Here We Are, which reflects how you're exploring a dark, secret side of her. In the future, balance your audio better so it's easier to hear you (pro tip: daj included subtitles because he's a genius like that). I missed hearing you over the sound of the OST.

Haha, thank you so much <3

Honestly from a creator's standpoint, the more i review this release the more i realise it sucks haha. Hearing someone say it's great is a huge confidence booster no matter what comes after it, so thank you so much ^^ (there's a looong reason as to why i ended up doing this anyway, but welpz)

Yeah, audio wasn't handled very well. It um, wasn't a good show, haha. But ya can't always succeed when you experiment with stuffs, so :)

Anyways this thread's supposed to be about the game, haha xD

There's really way too much to talk about when it comes to the OST and the music-theory stuff about it. It's just...ooh, so juicy. Maybe I'll do more analyses in the future. But welp, for now thanks so mych for your comment ^^

Quotealso I will never be able to read your posts with an accent, it just seems wrong somehow

please dont

FireArrow

I really liked all that stuff about leitmotif, I learned a lot from it.

And seconding Dudeman. When you have an accent and/or a quiet voice (you have both :3)  you usually can't get away with loud music background music.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

Hey I brought up really good points
unmotivated

FireArrow

Yea, Toby Fox needs to learn what good character progression is.

Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

unmotivated

Oronoco

Quote from: dajwxp on September 18, 2016, 06:26:55 AMHonestly from a creator's standpoint, the more i review this release the more i realise it sucks haha. Hearing someone say it's great is a huge confidence booster no matter what comes after it, so thank you so much ^^ (there's a looong reason as to why i ended up doing this anyway, but welpz)

No, this is really well-done! The whole video has such a warm, friendly quality that I'd attribute to the way you speak and write. It was really an enjoyable discussion and video overall.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: dajwxp on September 18, 2016, 02:02:38 AMhttps://youtu.be/d6_J0d4ojcQ

bandwagon-ing is not real!!!

hehe, i bandwagon'd! :) here's a music-nerdy take with pretty bad video quality.

was experimenting a lottle, did 14 hours of production and filming.

just about three days late! ^^ that's...quite late, buuuut eh.

Nocturne's salt feature at 1:24! ;)
I love this video. You did a great job of explaining, imo.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

daj

Quote from: Oronoco on September 18, 2016, 05:16:17 PMNo, this is really well-done! The whole video has such a warm, friendly quality that I'd attribute to the way you speak and write. It was really an enjoyable discussion and video overall.

Quote from: K-NiGhT on September 18, 2016, 11:00:08 PMI love this video. You did a great job of explaining, imo.

Ah, both of you are truly so very kind <3

Moving on, I think I'll see if I can turn this into an online article discussion thingy (hosted on nsm? using our undertale project arrangements? hehe). ^^ Speaking in front of a camera is okay-ish, but probably not the best way I can communicate these nerdy ideas~

There's...really just too much stuff to talk about. Here's some stuff worthy of analysis off the top of my head:

- Melodic inversion and retrograde: the Undertale Theme
- Rotation form: Heartache
- Texture and contrast: Ruins
- Structure macroanalysis: Hopes and Dreams
- Rhythmic motifs for continuity: Megalovania

Would anyone be interested in this? Music theory is kinda my thing, and I think I can communicate it okay-ish without putting everyone to sleep at least in writing. ^^ Undertale happens to be a fantastic game to explain these kinda-complicated terms, hehe~

DS

Quote from: dajwxp on September 19, 2016, 05:14:05 AMMusic theory is kinda my thing, and I think I can communicate it okay-ish without putting everyone to sleep at least in writing. ^^ Undertale happens to be a fantastic game to explain these kinda-complicated terms, hehe~
I get what you mean dude, I just love over-analysizing VGM OSTs and whatnot for this sort of stuff, it's just that no else cares about how boring it is other than me (I could go on for hours on how the Star Fox series OSTs from 1993 to 2016 are linked through subtle motifs and modal structures, but who gives a crap anyways XD)

Dudeman

Undertale's OST has so many secrets to it that I'd love to see more analysis of it, kinda-complicated terms be damned.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book