News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Game Design

Started by MaestroUGC, March 03, 2016, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

From what I've heard, there's no exp system in Color Splash from a friend who watched the Japanese trailer. So, given that, it's rather safe to assume the battle system hasn't been improved on whatsoever.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

No exp system?  Me like
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

No me gusta! Paper Mario has gone down the drain...
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

I don't like the idea of having to fight to become stronger.  I'd rather have it be a tactical battle
unmotivated

Dudeman

So, you'd prefer games where you outwit your opponents rather than out-muscle them?

I like that idea. Does anyone have any good examples? I guess Ace Attorney is a little like that, but that's more "try all the things until the story progresses."
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

MaestroUGC

You'll have to be more specific than that, cause there are a lot of games that don't have an overt leveling system.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

BlackDragonSlayer

After finishing Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, there's one topic I wanted to talk about: control scheme. Specifically, how much a good or bad control scheme can influence your opinions of a game. You could talk about games that have really good control schemes and why they work for their game, or how much a bad control scheme ruins your enjoyment of an otherwise good game (or if a game could be so good that you could care less about the control scheme); I just thought it would be interesting to analyze the way control schemes do and do not work, both for specific games and in general.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

Well there's actually a lot that goes into control scheme design, and going beyond that in controller design itself. Just take a look at the main series Mario games, most aren't more complex than directional control and 3-4 action buttons. The primary thing most designers should keep in mind is what the player will actually be doing, how often, and how complex it is to perform. I'm not familiar with the game you mentioned, what was the control scheme with that and how good was it?

mikey

gamecube controller is the best fact
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 09, 2016, 09:08:16 PMI'm not familiar with the game you mentioned, what was the control scheme with that and how good was it?
The game received some criticism for its control scheme- even among people who enjoyed the game- mostly because you often have to press multiple buttons in awkward positioning (I even had this problem after adjusting the controls); for example, pressing the right mouse button to drill WHILE moving with the arrow keys/WASD WHILE shooting with the left mouse button AND pressing space to jump AND aiming (imaging doing this on a laptop, which would involve either putting your hands in uncomfortable positions or rapidly moving back and forth between keys) WHILE figuring out what's going on in the current moment (...and changing weapons before you get steamrolled by a charging enemy because your rocket launcher isn't fast enough).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on March 09, 2016, 09:21:20 PMThe game received some criticism for its control scheme- even among people who enjoyed the game- mostly because you often have to press multiple buttons in awkward positioning (I even had this problem after adjusting the controls); for example, pressing the right mouse button to drill WHILE moving with the arrow keys/WASD WHILE shooting with the left mouse button AND pressing space to jump AND aiming (imaging doing this on a laptop, which would involve either putting your hands in uncomfortable positions or rapidly moving back and forth between keys) WHILE figuring out what's going on in the current moment (...and changing weapons before you get steamrolled by a charging enemy because your rocket launcher isn't fast enough).
That's quite a bit to manage, and just reading that I can see a few problems with what they designed, chief of which was not optimizing for the controller. I'll dissect that more later, but first is it just for keyboard/mouse, or was there a controller option as well?

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 09, 2016, 09:28:04 PMThat's quite a bit to manage, and just reading that I can see a few problems with what they designed, chief of which was not optimizing for the controller. I'll dissect that more later, but first is it just for keyboard/mouse, or was there a controller option as well?
Yes, and the game was released on both PS3 and Xbox 360 (people say that the Xbox controller is the best for the game, but I wouldn't know personally).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 09, 2016, 09:08:51 PMgamecube controller is the best fact
Ignore this, but Noc knows what's up!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Altissimo

pffft n64 master race

anyway speakin of control scheme, a friend of mine insisted heavily i play sonic adventure 2 and i instantly really hated the fact that you couldn't change the damn camera and that's a turn off when playing 3D platformers and is part of the reason the galaxy games are inferior to super mario 64 in my personal onion lol

Latios212

Wait what? You can easily change the camera in Galaxy using the D-pad. I very rarely had any problems when playing.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle