The Legend of Zelda discussion

Started by Nitro Indigo, April 06, 2016, 12:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Regarding zelda II
Does it still apply
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Yes, because if you actually sat down and figured out how the game works on its own rather than compare it to every other game in the series and get disappointed, you might actually find that it can be pretty cool. It worked for me.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

I learned how to play zelda II.  The game is just too mechanically difficult to be enjoyable
unmotivated

EFitTrainr

I don't have enough time to play every game I own to completion. I've got plenty of steam games I haven't even started.
If a game hasn't really captured my interest over 20 hours in, that's not a good thing.
I like food.

mikey

I own every single zelda game, and right now I play minish cap, skyward sword, links awakening, Oracle of seasons, zelda, Majoras mask.  Maybe I'll get back to zelda II someday but it mostly isn't worth the effort
unmotivated

Brassman388

The very first one I've played was A Link to the Past. So far, it remains to be my favorite.

Dudeman

I stumbled across a really well produced series that analyzes the dungeons throughout the Zelda series, and how they handle key placement, backtracking, spatial reasoning, linearity, etc. It's really, really good and I highly recommend taking a look if you're interested in seeing how Nintendo handles the mechanic elements of Zelda dungeons. It's even making me rethink my praise for Twilight Princess's dungeon design. Here's the current playlist (the guy isn't finished yet, so it's still a WIP): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

let me guess, Wind Waker or Skyward Sword has the best dungeons
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

here are my thoughts on that video series:
-Very aesthetically pleasing
-Well put together
-Entertaining
-Too linear
SHOTS FIRED WOOO

After the LA video it became quite apparent that he was in no way credible on the subject of design.  The videos themselves started as heavily influenced by his own opinions.  After feedback from YouTube commenters (around the oracles games) he did get better, but he never went back to look at what he had already done (HE DIDN'T BACKTRACK OOOH) and just sort of stuck to his bias when referring to games he had already done.

What this guy doesn't seem to understand is that there are many kinds of complexity and all dungeons have their own complexity niche, if you will.

His measures of what makes a good dungeon were arbitrary and irrelevant to the particular dungeon's goal.

He did subconsciously start to realize actual relevant dungeon information so hopefully he goes back and re-evaluates before making whatever he was planning on making.  As for twilight princess, he applied a top down perspective to a 3D game, which is why they're made out to be terrible.
unmotivated

Dudeman

A quick BotW timeline post just 'cause it's almost out and I'm excited. Aonuma has basically confirmed that BotW takes place somewhere on the downfall timeline by emphasizing the old woman's line about how the history of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon. The only timeline with multiple major conflicts that feature Ganon as the main antagonist is this timeline (specifically Ganon, too, since Ganondorf never appears in this timeline). I'd be willing to bet that it actually takes place at the very end of this timeline, mostly due to the huge amount of parallels the Zelda team has been intentionally drawing to the original game, which is the second-to-last game in this timeline (before Zelda II, of course).

mikey

that's what I said almost a year ago
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

I had to pack up my Switch last week and send it home with some other stuff to make moving out in a week easier, and in the absence of Breath of the Wild I've been dicking around on a new Majora's Mask file

How did I miss the hand in the toilet the first time
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Trainer Ave

I thought botw was at the end of the child timeline
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

mikey

It's complicated, is the best thing I can come up with.  The game's story itself doesn't fit within the child timeline, but that one stinking line is a tether to keeping that hypothesis alive.  Until official confirmation is released, I'll continue to assume that they're finishing up the downfall timeline then moving on to the child timeline, then adult timeline (all the games recently have been either remakes or before oot or downfall)
unmotivated