News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The Official Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Project

Started by Latios212, July 16, 2016, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Forgive the double post, but I will also be taking these as well:

Platinum:
20) Special Program: "Let's Ask Prof. Rowan!"
24) Wi-Fi Plaza: Mini-Games
26) Wi-Fi Plaza: Parade
31) Spin Trade
32) Mystery Gift
45) Battle Castle

JDMEK5

Quote from: Sebastian on July 24, 2016, 07:41:21 PMLat and I did some goofing with this one on skype. It will definitely need an accidental/key check. It is a very tough song concerning accidentals.
- Old Chateau
Sweet!
Put me down for a fanfare sheet.
Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 25, 2016, 07:56:07 AMWhelp I guess that's me. I'll scan it over tonight.
Sorry, I was a little later than I had said I'd be but here are my suggested edits:

-Measure 6: All notes should be altered in order to spell an F# major chord, rather than a Gb major chord. This will also eliminate the need for the courtesy accidentals in measure 7.
-Measure 12: Maybe courtesy on the high B naturals in the second voice?
-Measure 13: Here's where I would use a Db rather than a C#.
-Measure 20, RH: Either make the Bb an A# or the F# a Gb. If it were up to me, I would do the former.
-Measure 21, RH: Bbs should be A#s to match the spelling of the LH. If you're doing that though, I would strongly suggest some kind of courtesy accidental on the D natural in the same chord there.
-Measure 23, LH: I'm thinking that this A# would be better off as a Bb.
-Measure 24, RH: This Gb should be an F# which would also result in the following note (F natural) needing a natural sign.
-Measure 25, RH: I would rewrite the little triplet there using A#s and Gx. It may seem a little weird but I mean, it sounds a little weird.
-Measure 26-29: All #s should be rewritten as bs. Also because of this maybe a courtesy natural on the high B in the RH at 30.
-Measure 32, RH: B natural on the off beat should have a courtesy accidental on it to distinguish between the high Bb.

I think that's it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AMSorry, I was a little later than I had said I'd be but here are my suggested edits:
No problemo!

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 6: All notes should be altered in order to spell an F# major chord, rather than a Gb major chord. This will also eliminate the need for the courtesy accidentals in measure 7.
Fixed. I thought Gb would be easier to read, but I didn't factor in the chords xD
My bad.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 12: Maybe courtesy on the high B naturals in the second voice?
Ooo. I like courtesy accidentals. Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 13: Here's where I would use a Db rather than a C#.
Ah, ok. I know some people don't mind C# and Bb in the same chord, but I like the Db better. Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 20, RH: Either make the Bb an A# or the F# a Gb. If it were up to me, I would do the former.
Awesome. I think an A# would be better because of the B natural in the left hand.
Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 21, RH: Bbs should be A#s to match the spelling of the LH. If you're doing that though, I would strongly suggest some kind of courtesy accidental on the D natural in the same chord there.
I believe you're referring to M. 22? Also, I'm usually really good at matching the right hand accidentals with the left hand (or vise versa). More of a misstep than something I didn't know how to do lol.
Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 23, LH: I'm thinking that this A# would be better off as a Bb.
Same. It'd take out the natural on beat 3.0 and there is a Bb in the right hand.
Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 24, RH: This Gb should be an F# which would also result in the following note (F natural) needing a natural sign.
Oh, ok. I tried using the least amount of accidentals in this measure as I could, so it wouldn't be cluttered, but your suggestions works!
Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 25, RH: I would rewrite the little triplet there using A#s and Gx. It may seem a little weird but I mean, it sounds a little weird.
Ok. Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 26-29: All #s should be rewritten as bs. Also because of this maybe a courtesy natural on the high B in the RH at 30.
Ok. I assume because of the C /=/ C# thing?
Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 26, 2016, 10:05:48 AM-Measure 32, RH: B natural on the off beat should have a courtesy accidental on it to distinguish between the high Bb.
Awesome. Fixed.

Updated file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/giawbxpp6vqu7cw/Pokemon%20DiamondPearlPlatinum%20-%20Old%20Chateau.mus?dl=1

Thanks so much! This is one heck of a song for accidentals. :P
Many, many thanks!

Sebastian

Latios212

Awesome! I'll get caught up tomorrow.

I'm also working on a two piano arrangement for The Pokémon Lab.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

[DS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Trainers' Eyes Meet (Sailor)     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MXMWFA_S4

Sebastian

Here is another accidentally naughty piece, no pun intended.

[DS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Battle! (Legendary Pokemon)     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfbdDCa4uLQ

Man, I'm loving this Pokemon music. GIVE ME MORE...NOW!!

Sebastian

10 - Victory! (Wild Pokémon) - Th3Gavst3r:

Very well done. All the notes and formatting look good.
One tiny grime in M. 1:
Spoiler
[close]

Maybe flip the stems like in the picture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 - Trainers' Eyes Meet (Youngster) - Don Valentino
Awesome sheet!
My only concern is playability.....octave sixteenths at 150 is wild :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2016, 08:00:30 PM- Articulations on the intro. Staccatos would probably be good.
Done

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2016, 08:00:30 PM- Try out power chords in the left hand to really tap into some of that bass drive from the original, and see if you like it.
I tried it out for the octave sections, and it's not bad. I'll keep it for now

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2016, 08:00:30 PM- 38-41 - Those dyads sound inverted.
After listening to it again, it still sounds like this to me (m38/9 for reference):

I chose to omit the upper octave because it's quieter and so that it'd fit more with the following 4 measures

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2016, 08:00:30 PM- 62+: The RH should definitely be lower. On a quick pass those minor thirds really sound out of place - I think power chords are the right way to go, putting the RH in bass clef. Also re-check the bass rhythm in these places - sometimes beat 1 is shortened.
I put it up an octave so that it wouldn't interfere with the LH, but I lowered it (and put parenthesis in the LH). About the minor thirds, I decided to leave those in instead of changing them to fifths (if that's what you meant). It's hard to tell what the note lengths are for some parts (particularly the measures with whole notes), but to me it sounds the same as usual

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2016, 08:00:30 PMThere's more I would like to say about this arrangement, but that's all I've got time for right now.
Thanks for the feedback (and sorry for the delay in working it into my sheet)! Aside from those changes, I tried adding the timpani for m18-21, changed the half note in m25 to a quarter note, raised the last two beats of m21 up an octave, and changed the last two beats (RH) of m83

File: [MUS]

Zeila

I decided to do the following (I'm still going to finish the other two I claimed yet didn't finish)

(D/P)
- Canalave City (Night) [solo and two pianos]
- Decisive Battle! (Pokémon League)
- Stark Mountain [fix]

(Platinum)
- Battle! (Frontier Brain-Sinnoh Version)
- Victory! (Frontier Brain-Sinnoh Version)

Zeila

I finished Canalave City (Night) [both solo and two pianos]. I'll likely be done with Decisive Battle and possibly another one by the end of this week

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Sebastian on August 01, 2016, 09:59:56 AMMaybe flip the stems like in the picture.
Ooo yes, that does look cleaner. Thanks, changed it, I'll repost links to it here quick with Battle! (Gym Leader) which is new

[NDS] Pokemon DPPt

Battle! (Gym Leader)
Victory! (Wild Pokémon)

Sebastian

37 - Floaroma Town (Day) - Latios212
Love this song.
- Might I recommend changing the 8va in M. 5, 7, etc. to a clef change? I usually try to avoid 8va in the left hand.
- Maybe add a courtesy accidental on the Db in M. 35.
- The melody that starts in M. 3 sounds a bit louder, in my opinion, than mp.

Nice job with this piece! I love when there is straight up 4 measure systems.

31 - Pokémon Gym - Jompa
Very cool piece.
- Do you think you could remove the extra accidentals (M. 2 left hand, for example)?
- There seems to be some rests barely touching some notes throughout. (M. 1 & 6, for example).
- Flip the first layer notes in M. 53 (LH).
- I'm pretty sure the Db in M. 4 and M. 58 is a C#.
Nice sheet!

Maybe tweak the formatting a little bit? It almost seems too cramped.

35 - Trainers' Eyes Meet (Twins) - Don Valentino
- The copyright info and website name are both incorrect.
- And the subtitle.
- There are some notes that you could add, but I believe it sounds good.

Onionleaf

I've pretty much done as much as I can do with "Oreburgh Gate", not really sure how else I can improve it. I would be very grateful if someone could have a look and check through it, especially that fast middle section (I believe some bars sound a little "off") as well as making sure that I have chosen the correct accidentals. Tyvm!!

[MUS]

daj

Onionleaf - Oreburgh Gate

Quote from: Onionleaf on August 09, 2016, 04:33:30 AMI've pretty much done as much as I can do with "Oreburgh Gate", not really sure how else I can improve it. I would be very grateful if someone could have a look and check through it, especially that fast middle section (I believe some bars sound a little "off") as well as making sure that I have chosen the correct accidentals. Tyvm!!

[MUS]

This is fantastic <3

Oreburgh Gate was one of those tracks that I instantly loved but knew I couldn't pull off. It wasn't even a laziness thing this time - I genuinely couldn't figure out how to organise the parts in my mind, and i thought for quite a while about it before I decided "meh, I've got cooler soundtracks to do" in the way the fox determined those grapes he couldn't reach were sour. Haha.

The scoring is clean, precise (didn't check the first repeat, but y'know, I trust you and it sounds right), and very effective. Of course the transition from the section at bar 18 on to the one at 34 is...abrupt, but it can't be helped and it can be smoothened out with some good pedalling. Great writing there.

Extra kudos to your choice of tonality. I don't need to go into the details on why it's right, because it's right and the fact that it's right means you know why it's right. ^^ Spent a few minutes or so thinking about this and replaying the track in my mind, so yeah, thanks for however much extra time you spent figuring this out :)

The only thing I'd like to point out is your choice of accidentals, hehe. I'm now almost certain you score by ear, because you score relative to the sounds you've already registered in your head - that is, "this sounds like E-flat major" rather than "this sounds like the D# that played a while back". Doesn't mean anything - it's just a fun observation that hinders people who score in the way we do in terms of accidentals, hehe.

Anyway, accidentals:

You seem a little confused at b. 10 - 17. Let's start with b. 10 - 11 - you use both as D-sharps and E-flats. Erm...it should be all sharps, I'm quite certain. Here's one of those times that it sounds like E-flat something (and you wouldn't be wrong), but it's actually a sneaky Em7 (E-G-B-D#) chord. So all sharps should solve it. The next two bars are a little more confusing, because of that weird E-natural on beat 2, but I'm quite convinced that this one is E-flat major - rather, theoretically, D-sharp major - with a pedal point on the tonic. So your chord is D#-Fx-A#. Once again, all sharps. Oh, and that double sharp.

Hmm, I think that since this is a VGM arrangement and we don't follow too closely to Classical guidelines (some of those are stupid anyway), you should have the liberty to score it in whichever key you feel is more easy to read. But it's important to keep the use of accidentals consistent; for example, in b. 12 bt 3, why use an A-sharp when you've already used B-flat through the rest of the bar? :) Something like that. you can choose what accidentals you want to go with with some degree of freedom I think, but erm, keep it consistent :)

In fact, I looked a little further through the score and saw that you did it right for the last repeat of the first section (b. 41-ish)! That's a good reference point for the other two sections ^^

So um, do watch your accidentals consistency in b. 10 - 17 and the corresponding repeat at b. 26 - 33~

That's the main thing, really :)

Erm, about the last transitionary section though - I'm very curious as to why you chose to alternate octaves and single notes in the last three bars. The effect it creates, of course, is an accent through contrast at each strong beat, but I don't think the actual track really wanted that. I'm with using octaves throughout to more effectively capture the tension killing, but y'know, I think I'd like to hear you out here first~

Otherwise, fantastic arrangement, thank you so much for all the effort you put into this (haha, clearly you worked really hard on this one)! Sounds great, works well, and deserves all the praise it can get <3