The Official Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Project

Started by Latios212, July 16, 2016, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daj

Sebastian - Evolution

Quote from: Sebastian on July 27, 2016, 08:17:17 PM- Evolution

Ahaha xD

It's so weird to theory-bash cool little kinda-fanfares like these :)

A quick cross-check tells me that you've got all the notes and harmonies right. Just a bunch of quick theory-fixes:

I think b. 17 - end should be in D major for the sake of theory. The Pokemon series loves some side-stepping modulations (i.e. modulate to a key a tone/semitone away by repeating almost the same melodic phrase), and I think the change of key better shows that~

The "go to measure 2" at b. 24 is...okay, I guess, but kinda weird. Why not use a dal segno? :p

Other than that, nothing much to say, great stuff :)

-

edi: ahhh whoops double post. my bad. forgot about it in the moment.

Sebastian

Quote from: dajwxp on August 10, 2016, 08:28:51 PMI think b. 17 - end should be in D major for the sake of theory. The Pokemon series loves some side-stepping modulations (i.e. modulate to a key a tone/semitone away by repeating almost the same melodic phrase), and I think the change of key better shows that~
Well, I was going to do this, but I decided not to for two reasons.
1. It's a short song. I personally see it as a chord progression and therefore don't think it needs a key change.
2. There aren't any accidentals (except for the C# in the last measure). I know this isn't a very good reason, especially from a theory standpoint, but still one nevertheless.

Quote from: dajwxp on August 10, 2016, 08:28:51 PMThe "go to measure 2" at b. 24 is...okay, I guess, but kinda weird. Why not use a dal segno? :p
I guess that could work. I do have a few "Go to Measure 2" markings in my sheets. Don't see anything generally wrong with them, but "Dal Segno" also works.

Thanks for the feedback!

Latios212

Quote from: dajwxp on August 10, 2016, 08:28:51 PMI think b. 17 - end should be in D major for the sake of theory. The Pokemon series loves some side-stepping modulations (i.e. modulate to a key a tone/semitone away by repeating almost the same melodic phrase), and I think the change of key better shows that~
This is the way I see it. Like you, Seb, I try to avoid key changes for short sections, but one thing that immediately makes me want to use a key change is when a whole section is exactly the same, just transposed. See this sheet, for example.

Unrelated, but missing slur from 20-21 to mirror what you have in other places. And what do you think about flipping layers 1 and 2?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Quote from: Latios212 on August 11, 2016, 05:52:33 AMThis is the way I see it. Like you, Seb, I try to avoid key changes for short sections, but one thing that immediately makes me want to use a key change is when a whole section is exactly the same, just transposed. See this sheet, for example.
Oh, ok.
I don't mean to sound offensive here haha, but do you mind if we get another Updater opinion? It's not that I don't trust you! It's that I have had at least two sheets in my past that had a short key change and I was later told to change it.

These two:
http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/1262
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jbz5gqppl7h72sk/AAD1jCAw6nWHImCgnVeTq-xBa/Arrangements/Accepted/008%20-%20Unnecessary%20Tension%20-%20Sebastian/008%20-%20Unnecessary%20Tension%20-%20Sebastian.pdf?dl=0

There are sections in both that you could technically make a key change and I had key changes originally before being told to take them out. If it wasn't for these other two sheets, I'd take your word on it : )
I just want to be 100% sure about this.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 11, 2016, 05:52:33 AMUnrelated, but missing slur from 20-21 to mirror what you have in other places.
Whoops. Oversight on my end.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 11, 2016, 05:52:33 AMAnd what do you think about flipping layers 1 and 2?
They both print out black, so I don't see any real need. Is there a specific reason you had in mind?

Latios212

Oh yeah lol that's okay I was just saying how I think it should be

And by flip I meant stems not swapping colors.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Quote from: Latios212 on August 11, 2016, 10:38:26 AMOh yeah lol that's okay I was just saying how I think it should be
Hey, no problem! I'm very open-minded to new ideas.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 11, 2016, 10:38:26 AMAnd by flip I meant stems not swapping colors.
Oh whoops. There goes my reading skills.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Latios212 on August 11, 2016, 05:52:33 AMThis is the way I see it. Like you, Seb, I try to avoid key changes for short sections, but one thing that immediately makes me want to use a key change is when a whole section is exactly the same, just transposed. See this sheet, for example.
Quote from: Sebastian on August 11, 2016, 09:36:16 AMI don't mean to sound offensive here haha, but do you mind if we get another Updater opinion? It's not that I don't trust you! It's that I have had at least two sheets in my past that had a short key change and I was later told to change it.
I think I have agree with the other updaters on this one. It conventional music analysis fashion, this wouldn't be enough to justify a key change. Personally from my end, I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to be contemporary and put the key change in, but I can see solid reasoning for leaving it out.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

daj

FA - Pokemart

Quote from: FireArrow on August 12, 2016, 04:29:30 PMPokemart: [MIDI] [MUS] [PDF]

I couldn't bring myself to simplify it anymore.

I started dancing on my seat to this, haha! ^^ Great job :)

There's no way I'll ever be able to play this, which is kinda sad, but oh well. Dang, I want to play this so bad.

Anyway, I'll be doing a quick read-through and cross-check, but for this cool little arrangement, if you don't mind, I'll be throwing in some musical suggestions:

We have wonky beams at b. 9 and 10 where a second layer once existed. Erm...yeah, it's kinda weird. Maybe you simplified out the second layer and left that there? ^^

Same for the first three beats of bar 11.

Mmmm...I'm a bit against the A-double-flat in b. 24 bt 3, LH. I think you can omit it because, yes, while you'll have to put accidentals on two notes now, this is a chromatic scale and chromatic scales follow different rules. The D-flat major chromatic scale doesn't have an A-double-flat, so yeah ^^. Plus, makes it a little easier to read. Your call though, I'll leave this one open :)

I think the last two bars before repeat could use that tension-building accompaniment we've got in the two bars before them. Even if it doesn't exist in the actual, I'm quite certain you could add it in just for the effect. I think here's a pretty good place to score the drum rhythm, if you know what i mean~

-

So much nitpicking here. Hope it doesn't cloud the fact that this is a wonderful arrangement, it's delightful to listen to, and I think it's awesome ;)

Zeila - Decisive Batlle

Quote from: Zeila on August 11, 2016, 09:23:52 PMDecisive Battle! (Pokémon League) is finished

Another arrangement that I bobbed my head to, haha. Ahh, memories...

Crisp, accurate, effective arrangement. Love it when you pull those off. It's simple and good <3

Right, nitpicking + musical thingies:

Mmm...I'm in favour of bringing the left hand down an octave. But then I saw b. 8 and thought "hmm this is cool". If b. 8 did not exist I would have definitely suggested bringing the whole part an octave down for two reasons - it's what it is in the original, and it better re-creates the drum part, which conveniently doubles that ostinato. I'd like to believe that you thought about this already while in your arranging process, so I won't beat on the point, but just putting that out there ^^

The E major chord at b. 6 - 7 and the one a little further down...should be in F-flat major xD. By following conventions, and to better match up with your ostinato. Erm, yeah. So you have perfect pitch. Anyway, the reason why this needs to be is because you have a C-flat in the bass line, and it's not consistent. And from what I've heard and learnt, erm, if you don't play by ear it's easier to see things done the way they usually are done. Yeah :p

Same thing applies for b. 10, 15, 19!

b. 21 bt 3 though...hng. It's definitely a E-natural because it's an auxilliary note, but should you change the left hand part to avoid a false relation? My hunch tells me that you've done it right - the left hand is an ostinato and the right hand is following the rules - and that's good, but hmm, it seems to go against what I've said about your E major chords. Long chords don't follow the same rules as auxilliary notes, but eh. Maybe someone else's opinion on this would be good ^^

The last point I'll be making is on weird hand-crosses; b. 17 - 18 is a really awkward one, and b. 35 - 36 is clashy and muddy, as well as awkward. Hmm. Bringing the left hand down an octave (once again, as with the original) would solve the problem but then it brings back the whole debate on stuff. Your call again, but I think you may want to take a look at these crosses :p

-

Otherwise, much cheers to a great arrangement! May try this out one day, hehe. Good stuff~

Yug_Guy

Got another one for you:

Pokémon Center (Night) [MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

It's a bit rough, so I'd appreciate any feedback or comments!

FireArrow

Quote from: dajwxp on August 12, 2016, 05:22:47 PMFA - Pokemart

I started dancing on my seat to this, haha! ^^ Great job :)

There's no way I'll ever be able to play this, which is kinda sad, but oh well. Dang, I want to play this so bad.

Anyway, I'll be doing a quick read-through and cross-check, but for this cool little arrangement, if you don't mind, I'll be throwing in some musical suggestions:

We have wonky beams at b. 9 and 10 where a second layer once existed. Erm...yeah, it's kinda weird. Maybe you simplified out the second layer and left that there? ^^

Same for the first three beats of bar 11.

Mmmm...I'm a bit against the A-double-flat in b. 24 bt 3, LH. I think you can omit it because, yes, while you'll have to put accidentals on two notes now, this is a chromatic scale and chromatic scales follow different rules. The D-flat major chromatic scale doesn't have an A-double-flat, so yeah ^^. Plus, makes it a little easier to read. Your call though, I'll leave this one open :)

I think the last two bars before repeat could use that tension-building accompaniment we've got in the two bars before them. Even if it doesn't exist in the actual, I'm quite certain you could add it in just for the effect. I think here's a pretty good place to score the drum rhythm, if you know what i mean~

Hey, if you wanna help me make this more playable that'd be really great! I really love this track and I want it to be something a large audience can play, I was just flat out of ideas for simplifying without removing things that seem required for the "feel" of the song.

I'm too lazy atm to make any changes now, but I'll certaintly be combing through it with your suggestions this weekend. As for if you decide to cross reference it with the original... uh lel. This is probably the most inaccurate arrangement I've ever done because I've had to do a lot of wonky rewriting just to get it to the psuedo-playable level I have it at now.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Hey FA. Beautiful song!

I just have some aesthetic stuff I would like to point out.
- The url is NinSheetMusic with caps.
- You might wanna check the subtitle and copyright info. It's not quite correct.
Correct:

Subtitle:
Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version

Copyright info:
Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, GameFreak © 2006

- And you have those pesky piano markings.

Great job with this sheet!

Sebastian

Whooo wheee. Did I have a time arranging this one. Very fun.
Hope you all like it.

[DS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Wi-Fi Plaza: Parade     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWretABYKE

EDIT:
Updated with Daj and Latios' suggestions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/094gl29f8pk226m/Pokemon%20DiamondPearlPlatinum%20-%20Evolution.mus?dl=1