Submission Information:

Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Stage Clear
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

Bespinben

The tempo, the meter, the note values -- it's all off rhythm. The arpeggios should be written as sextuplets of 1 beat, not 16ths. The first two bass notes have a length exactly 4:3 longer than the final three bass notes. The final three melody notes preceding the last measure are a group of quarter triplets, not straight quarters. And more.

The treble harmonies are entirely missing on the last two measures.

According to VGMDB, the song name is "Stage Clear", not victory fanfare. Don't trust Youtube videos for titles.

This what it should have looked like (also including the pianistic niceties, such as pedaling and fingering):
Spoiler
[close]

[MID] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

You'll notice that the tempo for the arpeggio section is exactly 101.25 bpm, which is exactly 3/4ths of 135 bpm. This is to account for the fact that length of the bass notes of the section were 4/3rds longer than the following section.
Doing this WITHOUT a tempo change would have required creating an IRRATIONAL time signature of 5.333/4 (because 4/4 time times 1.333 equals 5.333/4). We all know 1/3rd of a beat is just a 1/3rd of triplet, but that's not a valid time signature. Therefore, to create a time signature consisting of integers, one would multiply 5.333/4 by 3, resulting in 16/12. Simplify 16/12, and you get an 8/6 or 4/3 time signature. Finale is currently incapable of supporting an irrational time signature, so therefore a tempo change exactly 3/4ths less than the base tempo was required to achieve the desired metric modulation.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bespinben on August 24, 2016, 06:32:01 PMThe tempo, the meter, the note values -- it's all off rhythm. The arpeggios should be written as sextuplets of 1 beat, not 16ths. The first two bass notes have a length exactly 4:3 longer than the final three bass notes. The final three melody notes preceding the last measure are a group of quarter triplets, not straight quarters. And more.

The treble harmonies are entirely missing on the last two measures.

According to VGMDB, the song name is "Stage Clear", not victory fanfare. Don't trust Youtube videos for titles.

This what it should have looked like (also including the pianistic niceties, such as pedaling and fingering):
Spoiler
[close]

[MID] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

You'll notice that the tempo for the arpeggio section is exactly 101.25 bpm, which is exactly 3/4ths of 135 bpm. This is to account for the fact that length of the bass notes of the section were 4/3rds longer than the following section.
Doing this WITHOUT a tempo change would have required creating an IRRATIONAL time signature of 5.333/4 (because 4/4 time times 1.333 equals 5.333/4). We all know 1/3rd of a beat is just a 1/3rd of triplet, but that's not a valid time signature. Therefore, to create a time signature consisting of integers, one would multiply 5.333/4 by 3, resulting in 16/12. Simplify 16/12, and you get an 8/6 or 4/3 time signature. Finale is currently incapable of supporting an irrational time signature, so therefore a tempo change exactly 3/4ths less than the base tempo was required to achieve the desired metric modulation.

Thank you for the feedback! Hopefully once I get Finale 2014 I can insert sextuplets and align text correctly.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Bespinben

If measure 1 was 135 bpm, there would be 5.33 beats (5 quarters, and a 1 triplet eighth) in m. 1. There are 4 beats in measure 2. Therefore the exact ratio of length between these measures is 4:3.

Therefore, in order for 5.33 beats to play in the time of 4 beats, the tempo has to be slowed in proportion to the ratio 4:3. A simple equation will give us the tempo needed: t = 135 x 3/4. The result: t = 101.25 beats per minute (bpm).

However, what you see above is still just an idea. Olimar and I have discussed an alternative without irrational time signatures or tempo changes, that is, raising the beat count in m. 1 and m. 2 to the point at which both are integer values. This results in 8 beats for m. 1, and 6 beats for m. 2. See our prototype below:

This should give a fairly good idea of the arithmetic taking place. We are still discussing the best way to present this information musically (such as, changing m. 2 to 12/8, and changing the figuration in m.2, beats 1-3 to a quadruplet), so stay tuned.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

LeviR.star

Maelstrom

LeviR.star

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 11, 2016, 05:26:34 AMSayingusually means it's not finished.

Ok, I updated the name. Everything's updated; now what should I do?

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Just, for the love of God, please change that decimal-ed BPM. It looks like a robot designated it.
I'm aware of the math behind it now, and that portion makes sense, but in the context of a simple piano fanfare-styled tune, it doesn't make sense. This isn't Pierre Boulez, haha.
Another minor suggestion; in the first beat of the second measure, it might be cleaner (and still musically accurate) to notate the 16th note as a grace note instead.. Just a thought.
what is shitpost

LeviR.star

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on October 12, 2016, 06:53:24 PMJust, for the love of God, please change that decimal-ed BPM. It looks like a robot designated it.
I'm aware of the math behind it now, and that portion makes sense, but in the context of a simple piano fanfare-styled tune, it doesn't make sense. This isn't Pierre Boulez, haha.
Another minor suggestion; in the first beat of the second measure, it might be cleaner (and still musically accurate) to notate the 16th note as a grace note instead.. Just a thought.

I wish I could, but all I have is Finale Notepad 2012, which lacks the ability to place down grace notes,  or insert a special BPM as an expression. If I could change these things, I would.