News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The DK 64 Unofficial Arrangement project, Round Two

Started by Olimar12345, August 17, 2016, 10:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

On DK's treehouse: when listening purely to the sheet, it sounds fine as 4/4 swing. However, due to the percussion and wood blocks in the original, 12/8 is much more fitting.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

CHUNKY'S TRICKY TRAP
K. ROOL TAKE OFF

Surprise, surprise. I still can't prioritise.

Yes, I did simplify the arpeggios in Chunky's Tricky Trap. I'm still unsure about the title though.
Also K. Rool Take Off was massively re-done from before.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Nice. I'll try to note check the rest. I believe I did almost half of them already.

WaluigiTime64

Half, something like that. It's been a while. I'll try to get other sheets soon, I just have a bunch of other things to deal with right now.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

E. Gadd Industries

I didn't see any issues with my pieces that haven't been reviewed yet, but that doesn't mean anything. Do I need to double check them again?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

Nope, you're good. Your sheets are awesome note accuracy and formatting-wise.

E. Gadd Industries

Righty-o. With that, I'll continue with Freezeflame.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

Starting from where I left.
Here is some more:

Frantic Factory Car Race:
Alignments, notes, and formatting are good. Playability concerns me a little though. I'd like some thoughts on it.

Fungi Forest (Night):
Alignments, notes, and formatting are good.

Fungi Forest (Spider):

Fungi Forest (Tree Trunk):

Funky's Armoury

These sheets looked great! I'll see if I can get some more looked over soon.

WaluigiTime64

Chris

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 22, 2016, 12:54:28 PMHey you know what's really funny? The BIG possibility that it is indeed 12/8, for similar reasons as "Main Menu". The percussion is definitely not 4/4 swing, so I have a great feeling that it's 12/8.
Can't wait to be wrong lol

EDIT: The Maraccas are swing, the Bass Drum is swing, but the Bongos(?) are 12/8 (or triplets in this current instance).

Hi, drummer and percussionist here.  The Main Menu song is not 12/8.  In any time signature the bottom time defines the fundamental beat of the time signature, and this song very clearly has the fundamental beat occurring 4 times per measure.  The bottom number is also usually considered the note type that you "count" and this is just way too fast to be 12/8.  The correct way to notate this song would be 4/4 with triplets for all subdivided beats.  Someone could argue for 2/4 with triplets, but I think the note groups clearly lead toward 4 beats.

Also, this is NOT the same thing as swing.  Swing and triplets are not really the same.  Swing CAN have a triplet feel, however swing is actually not rigidly defined.  Actual swing can be anywhere from almost straight feeling to more of a 16th note feel.  In addition, as the tempo of a song increases the swing of a song often decreases, though you can definitely still have a light swing in a slow song (heavy swing in a fast song is almost impossible).  This is one reason why, if you look at a jazz lead sheet, you will see the song written with straight eighths, dotted eighth/sixteenths, or broken triplets. And ironcally, none of those actually indicates how you should feel the swing.  Triplet swing tends to be a reasonable approximation for many cases, and that's probably what most of the actual swing songs in this game are since you have to "pick" one for a digital game, but the main point is that having a triplet feel isn't the same thing as swing.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Chris on October 26, 2016, 09:43:49 AMHi, drummer and percussionist here. 
Look! It's someone who knows what they're talking about!

Quote from: Chris on October 26, 2016, 09:43:49 AMThe Main Menu song is not 12/8. 
We should probably fix the one on site then.

Quote from: Chris on October 26, 2016, 09:43:49 AMIn any time signature the bottom time defines the fundamental beat of the time signature, and this song very clearly has the fundamental beat occurring 4 times per measure.  The bottom number is also usually considered the note type that you "count" and this is just way too fast to be 12/8.  The correct way to notate this song would be 4/4 with triplets for all subdivided beats.  Someone could argue for 2/4 with triplets, but I think the note groups clearly lead toward 4 beats.
I'm learning.

Quote from: Chris on October 26, 2016, 09:43:49 AMAlso, this is NOT the same thing as swing.  Swing and triplets are not really the same.  Swing CAN have a triplet feel, however swing is actually not rigidly defined.  Actual swing can be anywhere from almost straight feeling to more of a 16th note feel.  In addition, as the tempo of a song increases the swing of a song often decreases, though you can definitely still have a light swing in a slow song (heavy swing in a fast song is almost impossible).  This is one reason why, if you look at a jazz lead sheet, you will see the song written with straight eighths, dotted eighth/sixteenths, or broken triplets. And ironcally, none of those actually indicates how you should feel the swing.  Triplet swing tends to be a reasonable approximation for many cases, and that's probably what most of the actual swing songs in this game are since you have to "pick" one for a digital game, but the main point is that having a triplet feel isn't the same thing as swing.
Ok, so the idea is, because triplets aren't the same as swing, it definitely should not be in 12/8, but we should get Main Menu notated in 4/4, with triplet swing as an "approximation". Hilarious because I originally notated it in 4/4 with triplet swing.

Also if you're going to spread your percussion wisdom, please stay for a while.

Olimar12345

Wait a second, I was thinking of the wrong piece. Chris, while I agree that usually the lower number in a time signature is the number in which you count, this is not always the case (as you said, "usually").  For example, meters with an eight in the denominator are usually counted in groups of two and/or three. You can see this in action in literally any 6/8 March. The 12/8 time signature in main menu is the most appropriate because the eighth notes are constantly driving throughout that piece, while still utilizing a "4-beats per measure" structure.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Ok. I bumped all my current feedback back up, and I did a few more. I am approximately 3/4 of the way done. Whoo!

Angry Aztec (Barrel Course)

Angry Aztec (Caves)
- Courtesy accidental on beat 1 (M. 52) would be nice.
- Missing a staccato on second note M. 34.
- Added courtesy accidentals at other spots.

Angry Aztec (Underground)
- Same thing. Courtesy accidental on beat 1 (M. 52).
- Other courtesy accidentals added.

Angry Aztec:
Other stuff (notes, formatting, and alignments are A+)
- M. 17 beat 1.0 (LH) is missing a staccato.
- M. 24 beat 3.0 (RH) is not a staccato, but rather slurred to the next note.
- Oh, gosh. The trills are messy. It'd look 10x better (and easier to read by far) with 16th triplets.
- I also updated the look of the tripleted 16ths.
This part uses the bass line notes in the xylophone's style. It's the best way to use both voices throughout this part. If you used the bass line, it'd be a steady one note (which is boring) and if you used the xylophone, drastic measures would need taken, no pun intended. The way it is now is probably the best scenario.
This has been reworked (as I said above). Trills do not seem to be what should be used here. They have been changed to 16th triplets. Very much better for the song and easier to read. Also, very Grant Kirkhope-esque, if I do say so myself.
I think that was intended to change the right hand, but you're correct. It is unnecessary. It has been removed.

Baboon Balloon
- The right hand is not staccatos, but rather legato.
- Added a note of clarification on the repeat.

Battle Arena
- M. 14 courtesy accidental on RH B.
- The LH from M. 15-end is slightly unfaithful to the original; however, the chords are only inverted, so I believe they are fine.

Before Boss - 0 mistakes.

Boss Introduction - Quintessential.

Boss Key Acquisition! - A+.

Boss Room Opened -
Ben and I did extra work on this one so d+(^o^).

Candy's Music Store -
Ben and I worked extra on this to bring the formatting up to par. Notes, alignments, and etc. are perfect.

Collect Pearl
- Slight adjustment to the tempo needed.

Creepy Castle (Ballroom)
- Slight adjustment to the formatting and copyright info was made.
- Courtesy accidentals added.

Creepy Castle (Barrel Course)
- Slight adjustment to the copyright info.

Creepy Castle (Caves)
- Again, the copyright info needed adjusted.

Creepy Castle (Dungeon 1)
- Some courtesy accidentals here and there.
- Copyright info adjustment.

Creepy Castle (Dungeon 2/Library)
- Copyright info again.

Creepy Castle (Dungeon 3)
- Copyright info again.
NOTE: Ben and I had a long conversation about this one, so I'd call it extra perfect.
Can't tell if those are painful or sexual moans

Creepy Castle (Dungeon 4) - Perfect.
NOTE: What the heck. For some reason all the Creepy Castle sheets have wrong copyright info except this one.

Creepy Castle (Greenhouse)
- Copyright info.

Creepy Castle (Museum)
- Wrong notes in M. 15 & 16
NOTE: First song with wrong notes.

Creepy Castle (Rubbish Bin)
- There is a whole measure missing before M. 1. It is a glissando type thing.
- Some rhythm issues. M. 12 & 14.
- Updated the formatting.
- Added a repeat sign.

Creepy Castle (Tree Trunk)
- Copyright info.

Creepy Castle (Wind Tower)
- Copyright info.
- Wrong accidental spelling in M. 34 (both hands).

Creepy Castle
- Extra notes in M. 53.
- Edited the rolls in the final few measures.

Crystal Caves (Board Game)

Crystal Caves (Igloo)

DK Isle (Creepy Castle)

DK Isle (Crystal Caves)
- Centered dynamic(s)

DK Isle (Frantic Factory)

DK Isle (Fungi Forest)

DK Isle (Gloomy Galleon)
- Wrong notes in M. 27 (RH).

This is probably my favorite DK Isle Theme^

DK Isle (Hideout Helm)

DK Isle (Jungle Japes)
- The BPM marking was slightly wrong.

DK Isle (Snide's HQ)

DK's Treehouse

DK Isle
Man, this is such an awesome arrangement.

Skipping Dogadon Rematch. It was looked over by multiple Updaters.

Ending
- Wrong notes in M. 5 & 18.

Enguarde's Theme
NOTE FOR UPDATERS WHEN THEY REVIEW THIS SHEET: Note lengths were changed for playability.

Frantic Factory Car Race:
Playability concerns me a little though. I'd like some thoughts on it.

Fungi Forest (Night):
- BPM marking a bit off.

Fungi Forest (Spider):

Fungi Forest (Tree Trunk):

Funky's Armoury

Gloomy Galleon (Barrel Course)

Gloomy Galleon (Boat Race)
- Copyright info once again.

Gloomy Galleon (Caves)

Gloomy Galleon (Lighthouse/Submarine)
- Wrong notes in M. 17 & 18.
- Wrong note length in M. 18.

DROPBOX FILE WITH ALL THE ABOVE MISTAKES FIXED ACCORDINGLY:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/frebcis2qf9ymkg/AABP4f_9umuXOKsM9iip1ncZa?dl=0