News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by DS, September 18, 2016, 08:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

you know why Wii Sports sold so well?

Because it was packed-in with the system.

Listen, I'm excited for this system, but I'm not gonna sit back and act like it's God's gift to video gaming. It still has some serious problems, but this is a step in the right direction imo. This system offers something no other console has at the moment, and that's portability. If people want that, there are some sacrifices that have to be made.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

MaestroUGC

The battery life is a little chintzy but honestly if you were expecting more than 6 hours at most you're delusional. This isn't a smartphone or tablet we're talking about here, this is a fully decked out console designed to be totally mobile. Hell, even most smart phones don't last more than 3-4 with constant, extended use; and they're not playing full video games like Skyrim on it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Sebastian

Quote from: K-NiGhT on January 14, 2017, 12:53:16 PMListen, I'm excited for this system, but I'm not gonna sit back and act like it's God's gift to video gaming. It still has some serious problems, but this is a step in the right direction imo. This system offers something no other console has at the moment, and that's portability. If people want that, there are some sacrifices that have to be made.
This is pretty much how I feel too^
At first, Super Mario Odyssey blinded the consoles issues for me. xD
That's how much I've been wanting a 3D Mario game.

mikey

NX is gonna be a pass.  Zelda is being released for Wii U, so there's no way I'm paying for zelda box DX, even if I can take it places
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Quote from: Sebastian on January 14, 2017, 11:14:55 AMI believe the only real issue with the Switch is the pricing. The joy cons are $50 each and the pro controller is $70. That's outrageous. The Switch itself is expensive software and won't be able to match the Xbox One and PS4, especially when it comes to pricing.

Yes and no. $300 nowadays is not terrible for a new gaming box, but the price increase of controllers in general in recent years has become outrageous.

Quote from: Sebastian on January 14, 2017, 11:14:55 AMAs for the launch titles, they're a little thin...which isn't very surprising. They could've used another big title (like Zelda BotW), or at least had Super Mario Odyssey ready in time. The holiday is way too far off to be releasing gameconsole-selling games in my opinion.
I think it's great that they are bringing games from other consoles (for example Skyrim), but games like that won't sell the console when you can buy a different console that is cheaper with the same game. They need more good exclusive games that will sell the console (like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey). Those are my two big concerns: expenses and lack of games at launch.

Actual games has been Nintendo's increasing downfall. As of right now, these are the only launch titles announced:

Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R
1, 2, Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I am Setsuna
Skylanders Imaginators

(source)

Ignoring Zelda (since nintendo does nintendo fine), these games are all garbage/casual/party games; there is no meat here. Sure they have the support of "over 80 game devs," but if all we see are ports of preexisting games that I could like, play on steam right now, then we have a crippling issue. Example: Skyrim is not new and I don't need a Switch to play it. Bringing third party support back in is only really a good thing if they bring new games with them.

Quote from: Sebastian on January 14, 2017, 11:14:55 AM1 2 switch isn't Wii Sports. I know a lot of people didn't like Wii Sports, but that is the game that first drew me to the Wii back when it was first released. Wii sports sold approximately 82.79 million, which is pretty dang good. The highest-selling Wii U game only sold 8 million (Mario Kart 8 ). Also, Arms? No way.

ofc. it isn't wii sports, it's just a shitty launch title with similar hype as wii sports (i.e. overly gimmicky). also:
Quote from: K-NiGhT on January 14, 2017, 12:53:16 PMyou know why Wii Sports sold so well?
Because it was packed-in with the system.
I personally use mine as a coaster for drinks.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 14, 2017, 12:56:50 PMThe battery life is a little chintzy but honestly if you were expecting more than 6 hours at most you're delusional. This isn't a smartphone or tablet we're talking about here, this is a fully decked out console designed to be totally mobile. Hell, even most smart phones don't last more than 3-4 with constant, extended use; and they're not playing full video games like Skyrim on it.

Yeah, but this is a NEW thing. Generally new things are expected to have qualities surpassing current things. It doesn't feel like quite a successor if simple things like the battery life can't be decent enough for a road trip. If I were some big name company who lead the market in hand-held gaming and wanted to move some of that success to console gaming, battery life would and should have been a major part of the development process.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Technology doesn't develop that quickly, and Nintendo isn't in the energy market. Besides if you are going on a road trip I'd be surprised if you didn't pack a charger for your devices, the Switch is able to be charged with a USB C port which is already an industry standard.

Olimar12345

That's not the point: the point is that with hardcore gameplay you can only get 2.5 hours of play on a full battery, which is pathetic.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Sure, but who would actually have that kind of time to play games while mobile? Unless you're travelling in which case: chargers.

Olimar12345

Again, not the point.

When the Nintendo DS was in development, Nintendo refused to develop the prototype farther until it could survive a drop from 5 ft ten times in a row. Just because that was a hard thing to do did not stop them from persevering, and the system ended up better because of it. Methinks that because of the poor WiiU sales, Nintendo might have been more focused on getting SOMETHING done soon rather than get the job done right. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an updated version of this console (assuming sales don't repeat the WiiU (HUGE assumption)) in which they actually address this issue.

mikey

I just watched the trailer for botw and all I can say is gag.  They made it look like a fire emblem game
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Game list infograhic
[close]

KefkaticFanatic

I align myself with Olimar's stance, particularly on the pathetic "portable" aspect.

Rather than push for a solid portable system, with similar ease-of-use, longevity, and compromises as 3DS, they pushed for this "all-in-one", which sacrifices on performance tremendously to put in an outdated Tegra SoC (because they couldn't wait any longer to rid themselves of the Wii U trash heap I suppose)

Nintendo will never see large 3rd party support, whether it's just the same multiplatforms or exclusive content, unless they can really push their marketshare higher.  They are not doing a damn thing to move in that direction.  It's honestly uncertain what audience they're targeting with this console.  Fanboys will always buy it obviously, but that's really all they're getting here.

Casual market? This lacks all of the notability, ease-of-use, library/support base of iOS devices, which is honestly the performance tier and market they're competing in at this point.

Hardcore gaming market?  Nobody beyond the most dedicated of Zelda fans is going to even consider this when they, as Olimar said, can play nearly every other title mentioned on Steam. Plus, half of the Nintendo titles in the next year will just be ports/adaptations of Wii U titles, which will be going on clearance at a great price.

me irl
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 15, 2017, 07:01:06 PM
Game list infograhic
[close]
Well okay that's great and all, but it's only launching with 5 games, only one of which is appealing to more than a casual audience (unless the Bomberman fanbase is actually rabid, I have zero knowledge of the franchise).
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Quote from: Dudeman on January 15, 2017, 09:28:58 PMit's only launching with 5 games,

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 14, 2017, 03:31:19 PMlaunch titles announced:

Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Super Bomberman R
1, 2, Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I am Setsuna
Skylanders Imaginators

(source)

???