News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Surprise Chrono Trigger Update! (Update, Saturday 7th of January 2017)

Started by Latios212, January 06, 2017, 10:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowChords

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 10, 2017, 05:37:13 PMBesides, if you've done so much as to have over 200 "arrangements" and are still on these forums, clearly you having a life doesn't stop you from having free time to spend.

Dude, I've been on MuseScore for a LONG ASS TIME. Over 600 days. I don't actually have that much free time, and it's dwindling day by day.... the only reason I'm on here right now is that it's my first day back from break and I didn't have homework.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 10, 2017, 05:37:13 PMIf you can dedicate time to your arrangements, then clearly there should be no problem with you taking the time to go back and give credit for everything so that your whole backlog of arrangements isn't one big bucket of plagiarism.

If it was such a big problem, I feel like this would have been an issue a lot sooner. It's going all through middle school and high school and quoting Wikipedia in your papers and then Senior year your professor gets really angry with you for plagiarizing Wikipedia. No one EVER told me that, and it would have nice if someone told me sooner, and the idea that's it's plagiarism isn't even obvious.
I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

And here's my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MansionXx

Altissimo

tbh i'd say it's more like not getting caught because your middle and high school teachers didn't care to check and then senior year teacher decides to actually check the academic integrity of his students

besides it is no one's responsibility to tell you what is plagiarism and what isn't, if you're 16 you should absolutely know that by now and realize how it applies to multiple forms of media, such as art and music, and not just writing, and why it is important to pay attention to rather than just "that annoying thing teachers make you do for no reason". "i've done it up until now" is really not an acceptable reason to keep doing it either

ShadowChords

Quote from: Altissimo on January 10, 2017, 07:36:44 PMtbh i'd say it's more like not getting caught because your middle and high school teachers didn't care to check and then senior year teacher decides to actually check the academic integrity of his students

No it's not, my analogy was accurate.

I swear to fucking god, I'm going to blow up like some sort of suicide bomber. I'll say it now, and I'll say it later too. Hear me now, quote me later: https://musescore.com/shadowchords/an-update
I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

And here's my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MansionXx

Dude

Quote from: ShadowChords on January 10, 2017, 07:58:42 PMBUT I'M NOT SURE IF I'M GOING BACK THERE OR SUPPORTING THEM
then stop using our sheets

Also, it's pretty well known that you can't cite Wikipedia directly in essays and such so I don't think that works.

ShadowChords

Quote from: Dude on January 10, 2017, 08:35:26 PMthen stop using our sheets

Also, it's pretty well known that you can't cite Wikipedia directly in essays and such so I don't think that works.

Key phrase: not sure. Unsure, noun, not confident in what one thinks or knows; having doubt that one is right

Also, it's a metaphor. They aren't always the most realistic
I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

And here's my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MansionXx

MaestroUGC

In the interest of keeping NSM groovy, the Staff would like to relay the following:

While plagiarism is not acceptable in any context NSM does not have any power or means to enforce members or visitors from using its content elsewhere, nor can NSM force them to give proper credit to the arrangers. We do ask that if people do wish to use any sheets or midi files produced for the site to please give proper credit to the arrangers, as well as the pieces' original composers. At no point is a vitriolic reaction like this warranted, any further comments about the matter from the rest of the community will not be tolerated. Should any further issues arise the staff will deal with it accordingly.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Dude

Mmm... Maybe I'll just post PDF+MP3 versions of my arrangements around the forums from now on and not submit them.

Seems safer that way.

Ruto

Quote from: ShadowChords on January 10, 2017, 07:58:42 PMNo it's not, my analogy was accurate.

I swear to fucking god, I'm going to blow up like some sort of suicide bomber. I'll say it now, and I'll say it later too. Hear me now, quote me later: https://musescore.com/shadowchords/an-update

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 10, 2017, 09:39:06 PMIn the interest of keeping NSM groovy, the Staff would like to relay the following:

While plagiarism is not acceptable in any context NSM does not have any power or means to enforce members or visitors from using its content elsewhere, nor can NSM force them to give proper credit to the arrangers. We do ask that if people do wish to use any sheets or midi files produced for the site to please give proper credit to the arrangers, as well as the pieces' original composers. At no point is a vitriolic reaction like this warranted, any further comments about the matter from the rest of the community will not be tolerated. Should any further issues arise the staff will deal with it accordingly.

If he doesn't hold the copyright to the music, he can't slap that license on those transcriptions either. What do you make of that? That shows that he thinks that work is his.

Quote from: ShadowChords on January 10, 2017, 04:45:04 PMIt's not called being lazy, it's called having a life. Maybe you'd understand it's hard to manage your life when you have one, but "please forgive me" for assuming you had one.

Oh right, the members here who are working on their master's, doctorates, or work full time are supposed to take that comment seriously from some kid who cites middle school experience.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

KefkaticFanatic

1) Nobody on nsm claims copyright for their work, whether or not that is legitimate under derivative works
2) There is no public statement on nsm asking for credit to be given, regardless of how "common sense" you think that may be.  There probably should be.
3) There is thus no actual obligation besides the goodwill of angry kids for someone to provide credit

If someone is willing to give credit in videos going forward, that's more than you can ask for already.  You get nothing out of and have no grounds to make demands in any way.  Any further action on this will result in bans for user harassment.

It's clear that to avoid this kind of thing in the future, NSM should establish clear guidelines/rules as to how we want to deal with people reusing works.  Those don't exist now, and may not for some time, so until they do, please be reasonable.



me irl
[close]