[Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - "Ordon Ranch" (Replacement) by Latios212

Started by Zeta, February 06, 2017, 08:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Ordon Ranch
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

Nice work, man!

- You've probably already noticed it, but you have a lot of crossing hands going on. Ordonarily I try to avoid having to rearticulate keys while they're being sustained in a different voice (e.g. measure 13). Maybe you could play with some of the registers? It's kinda tough in this case so if you don't find any alternative that you like enough then oh well but if something else is able to be "close enough", it could make a big difference. Making register edits would also take the major second interval in measure 8 and turn it into a ninth which is usually better.
- Starting at measure 21 we have some treble string harmonies. Maybe implement those?
- Being a smooth piece, I'm not really sure why you aren't using a butt-ton of slurs. Now's the time for them. Use some. Go ahead. Treat yourself. You've earned it.

I think that's about all I really have to say. Spacing is great, nice clear directions, no clashes, no inaccurate pitches so far as I can tell, way to go.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Tobbeh99

Not sure, but I don't think you can incorporate the long string notes in m.5-12. But you can always try and see if it's possible. Otherwise, it looks good.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

Thanks for the comments!

Hand crossing and proximity
It's not the worst thing in the world; I think it could stand as is without any changes. That said, since you mentioned it I started thinking about it again and I'll probably change it because:
- Raising the RH an octave sounds terrific on the piano. The melody doesn't feel quite the same as it does in its original instrument but then again it doesn't have to; this is a piano adaptation and it works fine. I doubt anyone would complain to this.
- It would make the sheet even easier (one less thing to worry about when playing) making this sheet even more chill and great for sight reading or for beginners.
So yeah. Melody raised from 5-20. Oddly this even makes the transition to 21 nicer. See how you like it!

Slurs
Quote from: JDMEK5 on February 08, 2017, 01:06:04 PM- Being a smooth piece, I'm not really sure why you aren't using a butt-ton of slurs. Now's the time for them. Use some. Go ahead. Treat yourself. You've earned it.
Spoiler
[close]
Haha I'm not sure if it's because I just neglect to or I have a real preference for it, but I tend to use slurs sparingly, only inserting them when I really feel they're needed. I'd much rather see a sheet with a legato/ped marking and no slurs, rather than slurs literally everywhere, as is the case here. Overuse just clutters things up and causes the symbol to lose its effectiveness. But if I'm getting you wrong, please do say.

Harmonies
- In 3-12 there's really not much going on except the droning A (and one G and one E in different measures). Meh, doesn't add much for piano.
- In 21+, I added those in. You like? :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

(Put that picture of the of the slurs in an art museum. You could earn money on that piece of art!) :P

Otherwise, it looks good.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

Quote from: Latios212 on February 12, 2017, 04:25:14 PMHaha I'm not sure if it's because I just neglect to or I have a real preference for it, but I tend to use slurs sparingly, only inserting them when I really feel they're needed. I'd much rather see a sheet with a legato/ped marking and no slurs, rather than slurs literally everywhere, as is the case here. Overuse just clutters things up and causes the symbol to lose its effectiveness. But if I'm getting you wrong, please do say.

I agree with JD, and disagree with this quote. In legato phrases you see slurs, and in a sheet that looks as barren as this does now, I highly doubt you run the risk of "cluttering things up."
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Tobbeh99

edit on my previous post: I can help you out with some appropriate legato slurs, meaning giving you an example (but only if you really want them in your sheet).

...looking/listening further into it. I think it could be good without slurs. The song doesn't give "that" big of a legato feeling to it. Maybe only add a couple here and there, or, maybe add some in the second half of the song instructing the performer to play more legato (which I think the string instruments give, in contrast to the horn). But yet again, it's your decision as you are the arranger.

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 15, 2017, 11:47:40 AMIn legato phrases you see slurs, and in a sheet that looks as barren as this does now, I highly doubt you run the risk of "cluttering things up."
Fair enough, suppose it looks fine. Files updated.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

The held D in the strings (RH, 27-28) seems to resolve down to a C# in the last measure in the recording.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Latios212

I think if that C# was played in the RH it'd sound like another melody note, and what I wrote does resolve to the lower C#. I like the way what I have written sounds, but do you have any suggestions for what it should look like?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

You could do plenty with it. You could simply remove the tie and lower the note in the last bar; you could remove the tie all together and add the RH to the roller chord; you can do the same thing but keep the highest note tied, etc.

Leaving it unresolved makes it look and sound like a ninth chord, which it is not.

Latios212

I got rid of the tied D in the last measure and added an indication to make it clearer that the RH is to play the rolled chord on the bottom staff. Better?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Having the RH play the rolled chord was a non-issue. Is it so wrong to resolve the chord in the last bar, though? Now we have a triad that just awkwardly loses a note that wants to resolve.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle