The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Just an interesting thing I thought I'd post:

Percentage of Melodies Guessed by Winner(s) per Quiz Host:

LeviR.star: 80%, 20%
Maelstrom: 40%, 40%, 40% (30% if bonus round is counted as part of total)
Yug_Guy: 20%, 47%
ThatHiddenCharacter: 80%, 80%
Dekkadeci: 20%, 80%
Latios212: 100%, 40%
LuxraySpiral: 40%, 80%
mastersuperfan: 60%, 67%, 53%
Static: 40%, 40%
SlowPokémon: 80%
WaluigiTime64: 60%, 63% (50% if bonus round is counted as part of total)
InsigTurtle: 80%, 75%, 68%
PetrifiedLasagna: 45%
Dudeman: 47%
Olimar12345: 15%

(May do one for percentage of melodies guessed by all participants sometime soon)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mikey

I'd say mad and wah have good quizzes then

Msf *.

iPhones honestly are the worst
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

WaluigiTime64

That's some interesting data.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 05, 2017, 09:39:46 PM(May do one for percentage of melodies guessed by all participants sometime soon)
That would probably be more accurate for measuring "good" quizzes, although I can still see problems with it.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 05, 2017, 11:42:55 PMThat would probably be more accurate for measuring "good" quizzes, although I can still see problems with it.
...such as the fact that not all quiz answer sets reveal how many answers non-winners got correct, for starters...

Maelstrom

InsigTurtle

Update! So far, #1, #2, and #3 from Part 1 have remained unguessed, and #3, #6, #10 and #13 from Part 2. Since some of these might be difficult, I'll letcha know that they're melodies from MOTHER 3, Okami, Paper Mario: Color Splash, Xenoblade Chronicles, Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, WarioWare: Touched! (the last two, I know they're not very popular, but... I had to include them for the memes) and one more game that I've mentioned recently on this forum. I was hoping someone would see that post and recognize one of the melodies in my quiz, but... That didn't happen. Oh, well. One of the melodies is actually a rather popular one, from a rather popular game, and... That's all the hints I can give for now.

Latios212

Here's my round, relatively early, since I have work later.

Have the funs, as usual!
[June 7]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

InsigTurtle

Congratulations to mastersuperfan for winning with 13/19! (68%)
Our runner-ups this time were Latios212, TheHiddenCharacter, and Dudeman all with 8/19!

I was aiming for an oddball quiz this time, so I promise not to do anything like this again. So, let's look at the melodies for the Um Dafuq quiz. If you answered with a piece that used the same melody, I accepted it.

Spoiler
Frankly, I'm surprised everyone got Part 1 - #5 and #6. I didn't think anyone would get them, because they're pretty obscure.

WARNING: Do *NOT* listen to #1 without headphones if you live with other people!

Part 1: Hard
1- Rao's Theme - Okami
0 people guessed this. You are pure.
2- Pinkle's Theme - Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
1 person guessed this. You are not pure.
And yes, that X notehead does represent the moan. I would have gone crazy trying to do that for the first one, though.
As you can tell, the "Hard" refers to more than one thing.

Very Hard
3- Title - WarioWare: Touched
1 person got this. 1 other person should have gotten this.
4- Jungle Japes - Donkey Kong 64

Everyone got this. And now you know why these are "very hard" melodies.

Extremely Hard
5- Overworld - Super Mario Bros
Surprisingly, everyone got this.
6- Overworld - The Legend of Zelda
Surprisingly, everyone got this as well.

Part 2:
1- Monstro Town - Super Mario RPG
2 people got this. If you did, I love you.
2- Pelipper Island - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
3 people got this. If you did, I also love you. I accepted any other music that used this theme, as well as the PSMD version.
3- Satorl Marsh (Night) - Xenoblade Chronicles
1 person got this, while someone who requested an arrangement of this track did not.
4- To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy X
4 people got this one. I didn't realize it had already been used (sorry Dekka!), but it doesn't really matter. I'm actually not too fond of this one, I just included this one because I was hoping someone's mind would go FF X -> Tidus -> Tidus laughing -> Tidus laughing for 10 hours. In fact, because I'm a masochist, I'm letting that play in the background as I type this post up. It's sorta ruining the background music.
5- Malie City (Night) - Pokémon Sun/Moon
4 people also got this one. Tidus's laugh was just synchronized with the music for a moment there.
6- Happy Town? - Mother 3
I'm rather disappointed nobody got this one. It's one of my favourites from this game. I would have accepted any other times this melody plays in the game. (To the person who was super close: You were probably thinking of "Going Alone", which is in the same key but has a different tempo and instrumentation)
7- Techno Factory - Kirby's Return to Dream Land
2 people got this one. I didn't actually have much trouble with this level, I just like the music. I don't like it as much with Tidus laughing in the background, though.
8- Astral Observatory - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4 people got this. I wasn't sure if I had transcribed enough parts in this one, so I decided to compensate for it in the next two pieces. And if I had left out the first bar, well, good luck.
9- Dreamy Somnom Labyrinth - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
2 people got this one. I like this one very much. Is it because of D#/Eb minor? Maybe.
10- Kiwano Temple - Paper Mario: Color Splash
With a little push, the person this melody was intended for got this. Also one of my favourites from Color Splash. Although the level this plays in is one of the most hated in the entire game. I like the part at 0:50 until the repeat and how the flute finally imitates the hums right before the repeat.
11- Gourmet Race - Kirby Super Star
Everyone got this one. Happy happy joy joy. Currently 17:23 into 10 hours of Tidus laughing.
12- Mabe Village - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
8 people got this, including THIEF. You know who you are. Everyone knows.
13- Opening Cutscene - Link: The Faces of Evil
I'm so sorry. I tried so hard to get someone to recognize it by posting links to random edits of this cutscene, but I failed. I considered extending it, but for some reason, I didn't.
In any case, I like the 7-bar phrase here. It fits pretty well.

Recommended Listening:
Passage from Genesis - Ecco the Dolphin : Defender of the Future
Soothing, sensual. Tim Follin deserved better.
[close]

Let us have a not-so-silly quiz next time.

EDIT: My right ear is actually bleeding now. My friends are questioning my actions and so am I.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ThatHiddenCharacter

Second?! That's a new record for me. Probably...
Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 07, 2017, 11:04:41 PMTheHiddenCharacter
This had better be autocorrect.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

LeviR.star

Gosh, I sure have missed out on a lot of cool quizzes lately.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Gah, I totally hear #1 in my head now that I know it's SMRPG...