News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

mikey

tfw dekka compares this silly game to mafia, which is complex enough to have its own board
unmotivated

LuxraySpiral

Damn it, I don't recognise anything lol. Someone should do a Pokemon only round
Quote from: LuxraySpiral on March 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
(Also, I might try to concrete my position as the parentheses guy)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 20, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
(Sorry, (but (that (role (is (already (taken.)))))))

Maelstrom

LuxraySpiral

Ya know what, I'm gonna quickly make a Pokemon round to post with my actual round, now that you've said that ^^
Quote from: LuxraySpiral on March 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
(Also, I might try to concrete my position as the parentheses guy)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 20, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
(Sorry, (but (that (role (is (already (taken.)))))))

Dekkadeci

In case you've forgotten or you wanted to leave it to the last minute, you have until tonight at 10:00 PM MDT or Thursday, Apr. 6 at 5:00 AM forum default time to PM me your answers to my quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

If you think any melody comes from too many video game themes, simply PM me with all such themes (and the games they are from) and, even if it's not the song I intended, if I hear that precise melody (all notes must match in those relative note lengths, but tempo doesn't have to be an exact match) in any of your guesses, I'll mark it as correct.

mikey

Yeah teach if I get less than 50% can I remake this quiz
unmotivated

Dekkadeci

Here are the answers to my Guess-the-Song quiz, with YouTube links in the song titles:
  • ST01: Roll Out, Wonderful 100! (from The Wonderful 101, used as the Blossom City Outskirts level theme--this is one of the first levels in that game)
    This was one of the melodies I expected fewer people to get, as The Wonderful 101 isn't the most famous of games. Since the next 4 bars sound similar to the 4 bars I provided, I doubted that extending Melody 1 would do anything. However, this song is in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U unchanged, so I expected at least one user to have played enough Super Smash Bros. to get it correct. Careful when spelling the name of this piece--"ST10: Roll Out, Wonderful 101!" is a different song entirely.
  • Fight On!/Still More Fighting/Those Who Fight Further (from Final Fantasy VII, used as the regular boss theme)
    To be fair, I did extract the high (counter?-)melody as Melody 2, so you might not have thought this was the true melody of this piece at that point. On second listen, I might not actually use a D minor key signature at that point if I ever do a full transcription. However, given the sheer number of rearrangements of this song I've ran into, I expected at least a few of you to get this correct. Heck, this song is even in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U unchanged as DLC! Turns out that the most people got Melody 3 correct instead, which is...
  • Vs. Star Dream/"Mind in a PROGRAM" (from Kirby: Planet Robobot, used as the theme for the first stage of the final boss, Star Dream)
    Yup, I purposefully picked this melody to mislead you into picking the wrong song. Melody 3 is a transcribed excerpt of "Taking Over the Halberd"/"Havoc Aboard the Halberd"/"Battleship Halberd (Interior)" from Kirby Super Star, but unlike the original cut, which shifts from A minor to C minor, this version shifts from C sharp minor to E minor. Now, why is the Battleship Halberd's theme playing in the middle of a final boss's theme?
    Spoiler
    You fight Star Dream while controlling the freakin' Halberd. Finally, an appropriate quote of that song!
    [close]
  • StarFighting Across the Universe (from Super Stardust HD, used as the Lave level theme)
    Here's the melody where I still suspect I'm the only user on this forum to have ever played its game. I would have been surprised if someone else got this correct. Has anyone else here ever played Super Stardust HD?
  • Battle of Anne (from Bravely Second: End Layer, used as Anne's first boss theme)
    As Bravely Second is the sequel of the well-received Bravely Default, I expected at least one user to get this melody correct. ...Then again, I picked a section with an unintuitive harmonization, so that probably confused people. Melody 5 got 1 extra bar tacked on last-minute in order to make Battle of Anne 2 an incorrect answer.

So, who won? Congratulations to mastersuperfan for getting 1 melody correct! Perhaps 3 out of 5 really were too obscure after all...

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 05, 2017, 09:11:38 AMYeah teach if I get less than 50% can I remake this quiz
Since everyone got at most 1 melody correct, it's safe to say that you got less than 50% on this quiz. So, feel free to PM LeviR.star to host a round, and when your turn comes, you can select any cuts of these songs that you want! "Vs. Star Dream" is particularly good for extracting deceiving melodies. Be aware that more people may have listened to the full songs above by the time your turn comes, so more people may be wise and get even your cuts correct.

ThatHiddenCharacter

I knew I knew number three! Now I'm frustrated at myself.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Latios212

>___> can we not make this game into an obscure-a-thon

Not that it's bad to make it difficult but if no one can get any of the melodies, or if they're just tricks, then it's no fun for anyone
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

To be fair (although I never submitted an entry), a few of these did sound familiar to me. I think the problem was the tiny length and that a few could apply to multiple pieces within an OST. Looking squarely at you, #3, I knew you were a Robobot piece.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

"Lol I purposely made this impossible, y'all suck"
unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Yeah umm on that note here's mine. Nothing obscure here. It's hard to accurately gauge difficulty but there needs to be a more doable one after some of the last few...

April "5"

[MID] [MUS] [PDF]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

SlowPokemon

"3 of 5 were obscure" I think 5 of 5 were obscure
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.